Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 09:40 PM

1,196 posts, read 1,805,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblake78728 View Post
No, there are a few good places around. 5 De Mayo is decent (Orchard Park & Cheektowaga). Coyote Cafe here in Hamburg isn't bad either but it tends to turn into a hipster bar the closer it gets to the weekend. The most authentic place Ive found is El Canelo near the McKinley Mall. Its owned & operated by a Mexican-American family from New Mexico (which is rare in this area as most Mexican restaurants aren't owned by Mexicans). It sits in a strip mall but once you walk in the door it could just as easily be on the side of Hwy 290 in Elgin,Texas. Great prices too.
Thanks for the tip for El Canelo. I'll have to try it out.

For some sites, also try Buffalo Eats | as well. Bill's site, as mentioned, is great well.

Is Salvatore's Italian Gardens a tourist trap these days? How is Russell's new restaurant just up the road?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2011, 03:37 AM

879 posts, read 1,631,387 times
I don't know, I was in Texas once and ate in this restaurant in San Antonio and nothing has compared ever since.

Old 10-14-2011, 08:50 PM

434 posts, read 1,123,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by genoobie View Post
I don't know, I was in Texas once and ate in this restaurant in San Antonio and nothing has compared ever since.
Tell me about it! Since I moved to San Antonio I have put on 10 lbs because I now know what real Mexican food is...

Old 10-15-2011, 06:20 AM

1,350 posts, read 3,545,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crittergal View Post
Tell me about it! Since I moved to San Antonio I have put on 10 lbs because I now know what real Mexican food is...
No you know what real Tex-Mex is, real Mexican will keep you on the toilet all day

Old 10-15-2011, 08:10 AM

434 posts, read 1,123,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jblake78728 View Post
No you know what real Tex-Mex is, real Mexican will keep you on the toilet all day
LOL all the way to the toilet!

Old 10-17-2011, 02:14 PM

744 posts, read 1,768,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpacker View Post
How is Russell's new restaurant just up the road?
Must have a good reputation Martin Sheen and his son Emilio Estevez were spotted dining there last week.

Old 10-18-2011, 08:04 PM

56 posts, read 131,025 times
La Tolteca on Transit in Williamsville is authentic, delicious mexican food. I also enjoy Arriba Tortilla on Main St. in Esdt Aurora.

Old 10-22-2011, 10:30 AM

102 posts, read 234,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crittergal View Post
Then don't ever move to Las Cruces, New Mexico. BEST Mexican food in the country, bar none. Better Mexican food than in El Paso or even Cuidad Juarez.

Old 10-22-2011, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by genoobie View Post
Depends on what you are looking for.

1) If you want really good mexican food, wait until you visit texas again.
Other cities Buffalo's size throughout the Northeast have decent Mexican food. Let's face it; the reason Mexican food is so rare and so mediocre on Buffalo is because the region has almost no Mexicans, and that's not hyperbole.

Quote:
2) There's always Toronto about 1.5 hours away...
But I thought Buffalo was the "20 minute city?"

Again, those living in other metropolitan areas of the same size don't have to resort to road trips to find decent ethnic cuisine and casual dining. For example, those living in Louisville, Kentucky aren't told by homers/boosters that "there's always Cincinnati" - there's enough interesting dining options to keep people from hitting the Interstate.

Quote:
3) If you like diners there are plenty to choose from. Be adventurous.
There's about as much diversity among diners in Buffalo as there are among Chinese restaurants. Decent breakfast, mediocre everything else, souvlaki, Friday night fish fry. Adventurous is going to Pho '99 in a nice car.

Quote:
4) Williamsville is probably not the place to find good dining. Lots of family types who don't dine out with much frequency (the house poor crowd).
Horsehockey! It's certainly not as interesting as the city/Elmwood Village/downtown/North Buffalo scene, but compared to other 'burbs, it's a dining mecca. Williamsville doesn't have the abundance of red sauce you'll see everywhere. However, there are more interesting ethnic options because 14221 is one of the region's most diverse Zip codes; It's home to a lot of doctors, educated professionals, UB professors, and the like, a large number being immigrants to the US. Korean, Vietnamese, Indian from all regions, Iranian, Middle Eastern, Japanese, Jewish deli, Russian, and so on, along with the usual red-sauce Italian, tavern (both "Janice-Okun-likes-it ye-olde-coloniale-house" and blue collar-style), Greek, and so on.

In the Buffalo area, if you're craving Indian food, odds are you're going to be going to Amherst/Williamsville or downtown Niagara Falls. There's also some decent upscale casual dining options (800 Maple, Black & Blue, JoJo, etc), though not as much as one might expect from a middle/upper-middle class area.

Quote:
5) Individual tastes are very different. If I were to think of a place right this second to take my kids, they dig Vietnamese food and Pho '99 is good and reasonably priced.
And the problem, as what's being expressed in this thread, is that there's a disconnect between the growing variety of those individual tastes, and the restaurants that are out there to serve them LOCALLY. You still have to drive to Toronto, Cleveland, Rochester or even little Ithaca to find much of the kind of dining any other city Buffalo's size would have.

Back to Pho '99 - I grew up around the block from there, from when I was an infant in the 1960s to when I landed my first real job out of college in the late 1980s. Up until that time, Kensington was a vibrant lower-middle-clas neighborhood. No more. I've walked around "bad" neighborhoods on the South Side of Chicago, the East Side of Cleveland, and much of the East Side of Buffalo. However, I'm very much on edge whenever I find myself back in Kensington. Pho '99 serves decent hole-in-the-wall Vietnamesse, but it's a ROUGH neighborhood now. It doesn't have the urban prairie blight of much of the East Side, but there's a lot of gang activity. However, kudos for bringing your kids down there; seriously They shouldn't be raised in a bubble.

Ultimately, why is there a lack of variety in Buffalo's dining scene? I blame it on:

1) Unique but ossified local culture, which still has a strong blue collar influence despite the loss of heavy industry through the years.

2) Large percentage of residents over 55 compared to other cities.

3) Very large Italian/Sicilian-American population.

4) Not many young educated professionals compared to peer cities. Again, it's changing for the better, but slowly.

5) Not many new migrants to the region from both within and outside of the US compared to peer cities, although that is also changing.

6) Generally poor "second wave" black population (e.g. poorer, less-educated migrants from rural Mississippi and Alabama that moved north during WWII and afterwards, as opposed to the more educated and wealthier "first wave" migrants that moved from more urban Southern cities before WWII), who lack the capital or know-how to open decent BBQ and "comfort food" restaurants outside of the low-rent East Side.

7) Those from ethnic groups outside of the Big Three either don't open restaurants outside of their enclaves, or don't open restaurants period.

8) Mid/high-end chains avoid Buffalo or arrive very late not because of strong local competition or anti-chain sentiment as many believe, but because of strict site selection rules, distance from commissaries, demographics, and greater ROI with investment in other markets, among many other factors.

Old 10-22-2011, 11:53 AM

Another thing to consider: the first upstate Trader Joe's is going to be in Rochester. Not Buffalo. Rochester.

When will Buffalo get one? Not anytime soon. The usual pattern: one will open in Syracuse. And Albany. And Ithaca after a lot of resistance. And Erie. Then, five to ten years later, it finally arrives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area