Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 02:59 PM

879 posts, read 1,630,119 times

Advertisements

Maybe you misunderstood. I live in a place where I don't need a car, so I don't drive often. This decreases my risk substantially. But really, I just don't like driving. Huge waste of time imo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2012, 05:06 PM

908 posts, read 1,118,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by genoobie View Post
Maybe you misunderstood. I live in a place where I don't need a car, so I don't drive often. This decreases my risk substantially. But really, I just don't like driving. Huge waste of time imo.
Fyi - they don't make cars out of sheet metal.

Old 07-20-2012, 11:00 PM

5,464 posts, read 3,913,523 times
Default responses to a few, without the aesthetic charm of quoting previous posts

genoobie: I remember reading in SuperFreakonomics (the sequel to Freakonomics, foreword written by Dave Chappelle on behalf of Rick James...or not) that an analysis of the data revealed that walking while drunk was more dangerous on a per-mile basis than driving drunk. I assume that this would hold for sober transport, too...so if you're going to cite that 35k annual traffic fatality figure as reason not to drive, well, I hope you're not walking on roads, either. Like ITGuy suggested, Amazon Prime shut-in-ism might be the existence for you (joking...though I stand by the statistical point (which I'm too lazy to actually substantiate...but I assume it's safer to drive than to walk in general, not just while drunk)).

Port North: I think having kids is a waste of time...so there (!!!). You think being self-centered is a waste of time; I think having kids is a waste of time...unfortunately we've reached an irreconcilable impasse in our argument here, because there are no good philosophical reasons either to have or not to have children.

infinitelyrestless: With a user name like that, I cannot believe you live in the village of Williamsville. Well, perhaps your level of restlessness was large-but-still-finite prior to landing in a locale as unfulfilling as that. But the point is that that name suggests a spirit of adventure, whereas living in Williamsville suggests something entirely different. Not that I've spent enough time there to really have the credibility to make that judgment, but I'll do it anyway. Granted, if La Nova was on every block, you'd have something of a paradise...but in my little experience there, the people there seem to generally suck (with the notable exception of a friend of mine who moved there rather recently, to my surprise...to track him down, you'd probably have to look at the Miller Tennis Center). But then I'd say that about most people, since I tend to be a misanthrope. It's just that EV and Allentown do suck a little less than all the other places in the region, people-wise.

So it must be obvious at this point that I live in West Seneca, right? Heh...only because I'm a twentysomething stay-at-home son, much like Alan-not-Allen from The Hangover (and the comparison may extend to facial hair). But if I had to find a new living situation, I'd definitely look EV first, Williamsville close to last.

(Speaking of the abbreviation "EV", ever see those rally stickers on cars that have abbreviations for different places? OBX = Outer Banks, for example. Yeah, well for the Elmwood Village one, I propose creating a "+EV" version, as a reference to positive expected value, which is used in financial/gambling circles to refer to a favorable wager/proposition...yeah, when that sh*t goes viral, I want 10%).

And I'll likely be at the corner of Allen and Mariner come 4 AM tonight...that intersection, and the bar which is located at it, were so much more glorious about 3-4 years ago, but it's still the best option in Buffalo for late-night debauchery bar none

Last edited by Matt Marcinkiewicz; 07-20-2012 at 11:09 PM.. Reason: to make you wonder what my reason for editing was

Old 07-22-2012, 07:52 PM

1,199 posts, read 2,868,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
Port North: I think having kids is a waste of time...so there (!!!). You think being self-centered is a waste of time; I think having kids is a waste of time...unfortunately we've reached an irreconcilable impasse in our argument here, because there are no good philosophical reasons either to have or not to have children.

So it must be obvious at this point that I live in West Seneca, right? Heh...only because I'm a twentysomething stay-at-home son, much like Alan-not-Allen from The Hangover (and the comparison may extend to facial hair). But if I had to find a new living situation, I'd definitely look EV first, Williamsville close to last.
Did I direct my response at you??? Having kids is definitely not a waste of time. Well I guess it is if you do not have a collective view of humanity having a purpose. That being said, not everyone should have kids, but that wasn't my argument. My complaint was about how elitest and self-righteous some in the Elmwood crowd can be toward those who do not share their lifestyle. Sorry if you misinterpreted it.

As for YOUR living situation. Move out of your parents basement, get some life experience and get back to me in 10 or 15 years. I guarantee you will see things differently.

Old 07-23-2012, 07:35 AM

46 posts, read 87,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael_atw View Post
LOL. I like how you're so "alarmed" by their encouragement....as if they're luring you into a honey trap of demise and destruction.
I'm alarmed that it comes up so often, yes. No one cares where you live in VA. I never got hoards of youngins trying to persuade me to move to Clarendon (a "trendy" DC hood). Must be a Buffalo thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
infinitelyrestless: With a user name like that, I cannot believe you live in the village of Williamsville. Well, perhaps your level of restlessness was large-but-still-finite prior to landing in a locale as unfulfilling as that. But the point is that that name suggests a spirit of adventure, whereas living in Williamsville suggests something entirely different. Not that I've spent enough time there to really have the credibility to make that judgment, but I'll do it anyway. Granted, if La Nova was on every block, you'd have something of a paradise...but in my little experience there, the people there seem to generally suck (with the notable exception of a friend of mine who moved there rather recently, to my surprise...to track him down, you'd probably have to look at the Miller Tennis Center). But then I'd say that about most people, since I tend to be a misanthrope. It's just that EV and Allentown do suck a little less than all the other places in the region, people-wise.

(Speaking of the abbreviation "EV", ever see those rally stickers on cars that have abbreviations for different places? OBX = Outer Banks, for example. Yeah, well for the Elmwood Village one, I propose creating a "+EV" version, as a reference to positive expected value, which is used in financial/gambling circles to refer to a favorable wager/proposition...yeah, when that sh*t goes viral, I want 10%).

And I'll likely be at the corner of Allen and Mariner come 4 AM tonight...that intersection, and the bar which is located at it, were so much more glorious about 3-4 years ago, but it's still the best option in Buffalo for late-night debauchery bar none
I know who you are, actually...and I know that you are a huge fan of those areas primarily for the bar scene. You are off-the-wall and feel at home in those areas. An eclectic's haven, I might say. I, on the other hand, like to go to the bars every once in awhile and don't think that I need to live in "EV" or Allen to do that. I don't personally get so sloshed up that I absolutely have to stumble home by foot.

Why can't an adventurous spirit live in Williamsville? If your favorite past-times include wandering around aimlessly, sitting out in-front of pubs and/or crashing on someone's porch to have a random conversations with semi-or-total strangers than I think our definitions of "adventurous" are different. I don't mind using my car to go and partake in enjoyment, whereas I happen to know you like to take long strolls.

From what I've learned of Buffalo in the past year+ that I've lived here...I would still choose Williamsville as my primary location. I think West Seneca might actually be MY last...

Old 07-23-2012, 08:11 AM

1,199 posts, read 2,868,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitelyrestless View Post
I'm alarmed that it comes up so often, yes. No one cares where you live in VA. I never got hoards of youngins trying to persuade me to move to Clarendon (a "trendy" DC hood). Must be a Buffalo thing.
Many young people in WNY think they have to prove themselves smarter and above the blue-collar culture of WNY that they were raised with. Moving to the EV is a way to show that they are different than Joe six-pack that eats wings at Duffs and cheers on the Bills.

However, if they ever move away to a different city they will see who they really are. When they move to a place like NYC or DC, and the people there will laugh at what they thought was cool living in the EV, they will realize that they have way more in common with Mr. Blue-Collar Buffalo than some rich trust fund baby living in the East Village (Manhattan) who had a vastly different upbringing than they did.

I think it comes down to the fact that hipsters in Buffalo are really insecure about who they are and have a need to prove that they are somehow different and better, because deep down inside they know their heart is really made of Beef on Weck and Genny Cream Ale. No matter how much they try to deny it.

Old 07-23-2012, 09:15 AM

908 posts, read 1,118,656 times
Quote:

No one cares? Are you sure? Making your limited perspective into an absolute is a looooooooooooooooooooooong road to cover in one skip.

Old 07-23-2012, 11:53 AM

46 posts, read 87,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael_atw View Post
No one cares? Are you sure? Making your limited perspective into an absolute is a looooooooooooooooooooooong road to cover in one skip.
That comment was a waste of time and ooooo's. I am quite clearly not the master of the universe, and thus cannot make absolutes.

What I do know is that I was never once questioned about why I chose to live where I lived in Virginia, and never once persuaded/suggested/hinted/nudged to move into a trendy area...or anywhere other than where I lived. And it's one thing to encourage in a friendly matter, but to put me down? Immature and narrow-minded in my opinion.

Old 07-24-2012, 07:11 AM

Default haha, wow

Quote:

I know who you are, actually...and I know that you are a huge fan of those areas primarily for the bar scene. You are off-the-wall and feel at home in those areas. An eclectic's haven, I might say. I, on the other hand, like to go to the bars every once in awhile and don't think that I need to live in "EV" or Allen to do that. I don't personally get so sloshed up that I absolutely have to stumble home by foot.

Why can't an adventurous spirit live in Williamsville? If your favorite past-times include wandering around aimlessly, sitting out in-front of pubs and/or crashing on someone's porch to have a random conversations with semi-or-total strangers than I think our definitions of "adventurous" are different. I don't mind using my car to go and partake in enjoyment, whereas I happen to know you like to take long strolls.

From what I've learned of Buffalo in the past year+ that I've lived here...I would still choose Williamsville as my primary location. I think West Seneca might actually be MY last...
Haha, wow. Now I'm curious. I use my real name; you say things like that, you need to reveal your actual identity, haha. Or at least your source(s). I mean, sure, I post some stuff on FB that could be researched if you're so inclined, but I have a feeling your references are too informed here. Either that or I'm being victimized by the same effects that lead people to believe in the powers of a psychic who's really just throwing guesses out there based on percentages and some combination of accessed/guessable information

West Seneca is basically a boring, largely elderly extension of South Buffalo/Cheektovegas, but it is the home to three other Marcinkiewiczes, and therein lies the appeal for this fourth Marcinkiewicz. If I were moving to WNY from elsewhere, I'm sure I'd place it near the bottom of my "to-move" list, too

While our definitions of "adventure" may differ, I fail to see how Williamsville could be all that conducive to the pursuit of ANY form of adventure, unless your idea of adventure is something along the lines of this: shoplifting an inexpensive item from, eh, Talbot's (the only Williamsville store I can think of offhand, assuming Stereo Advantage doesn't exist 15 years after I was last there); escaping on foot (I know you prefer to drive, but bear with me here) to La Nova; stealing the keys to one of the many luxury SUVs that happen to pass for a delivery vehicle there (that detail may perhaps only be applicable to the original W Ferry location, but let's pretend it isn't); momentarily agonizing over whether to fuel your getaway from the village with coffee from Tim Hortons, Dunkin Donuts, OR McDonald's, all located within a few-block radius of that La Nova location; finally deciding on McDonald's because you haven't yet sold your stolen La Nova Lexus or your stolen Talbot's belt and thus can't resist the lure of 79 cent coffee (if you were a local, your loyalty to Tim Horton's just might override the concern of saving a dollar); tempting the cops to pull you over by driving 44 in the 35 on Main Street; finally reaching the Williamsville/Snyder border and feeling quite self-satisfied once you realize that you're the first person to ever break the law in either of those villages, but making sure to find a hideout before you reach Eggertsville, where your crime would begin to be diminished by the presence of others with claims to similar feats

That last paragraph has to be at least as close to describing your aspirations as you were to describing my preferences, otherwise, choosing to live in Williamsville and being adventurous would seem to be mutually exclusive

Old 07-24-2012, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Port North View Post
Did I direct my response at you??? Having kids is definitely not a waste of time. Well I guess it is if you do not have a collective view of humanity having a purpose. That being said, not everyone should have kids, but that wasn't my argument. My complaint was about how elitest and self-righteous some in the Elmwood crowd can be toward those who do not share their lifestyle. Sorry if you misinterpreted it.

As for YOUR living situation. Move out of your parents basement, get some life experience and get back to me in 10 or 15 years. I guarantee you will see things differently.
Oh, for sure I will have a different POV in a decade regarding Buffalo, depending where I visit/move. And yeah I think life is purposeless; that conclusion is not contigent on location/circumstance and thus will not (or should not anyway) change given a new residence

Yeah, there was no real point for me to address you on the topic of having kids; at the time, I just felt like throwing a little bit of philoso-bait out there. Cheers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area