Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 11:19 PM

3,177 posts, read 2,743,521 times

Advertisements

We're creating new sub-forum based on forum activity levels. There are much bigger cities without their own sub-forums. Buffalo is getting pretty close, but not quite there yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2007, 11:45 AM

2,039 posts, read 6,322,066 times
Default Go Buffalo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Administrator View Post
We're creating new sub-forum based on forum activity levels. There are much bigger cities without their own sub-forums. Buffalo is getting pretty close, but not quite there yet.
Oh come onnnnnnnnn. Florida gets one for hurricanes and we can't have one for a city that desperately needs dialogue?
Yeesh, tough crowd.

Old 11-10-2007, 08:03 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,811,481 times
Administrators, we have LOTS of Western NY talk. We could use our own forum. There are 8 counties designated "Western NY"; by the time you go through the other parts of the state, you are into 10 pages to find posts about WNY!!!!!!

Please give us our due. We may not have the population of the other subforums, but we have peple who want info, who want to talk, etc....

Time for our own forum!!

Old 11-14-2007, 04:35 PM

491 posts, read 1,433,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Administrator View Post
what are you talking about, almost all the posts in the general ny forum are about wny. give us our own forum!!!

Old 11-14-2007, 05:19 PM

1,049 posts, read 3,855,968 times
why would anyone bash where they live? - MOVE
why would anyone who does not live here bash it? shows your moral upbringing i suppose

EVERY city has the good the bad and the ugly, i guess i just chose to see the good
colleen

Old 11-14-2007, 05:35 PM

136 posts, read 998,291 times
Default Life is too short to be miserable

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAugust View Post
why would anyone bash where they live? - MOVE
why would anyone who does not live here bash it? shows your moral upbringing i suppose

EVERY city has the good the bad and the ugly, i guess i just chose to see the good
colleen
I agree, there is a whole country out there, if you dislike a place so much and have nothing good to say about it, then move. IMO the pros outwiegh the cons in many places throughout Western and Central NY. You can find negatives in any location and I have fought my whole life to address certain injustices and abuses, but I prefer to live my life as a person who sees the glass half-full versus one who sees the glass as half empty, ya only got one go-around above ground, might as well make the best of it.

Old 11-14-2007, 06:35 PM

639 posts, read 1,071,362 times
This post has no content whatsoever. The sole purprose of this post is to increase the Buffalo traffic, in an attempt to have a separate forum created for the area. That way, I'll feel like my city is less pathetic.

Old 11-14-2007, 07:36 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,591,433 times
Don't worry. Buffalo will eventually get its own sub-forum. I successfully petitioned for the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre area of Northeastern Pennsylvania to get its own sub-forum as well, and even though the Administrator was a skeptic, he decided to give it a shot. That sub-forum is now roughly twice as popular as the Philadelphia sub-forum and just 18 threads behind the Pittsburgh sub-forum. Needless to say the creation of that forum was by no means a mistake, nor will the eventual creation of a Buffalo sub-forum be. After all, my MSA only has about 550,000, so if Buffalo, which is roughly twice as large as Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, doesn't yet have its own sub-forum, it will be coming soon.

Do what I did. Become such a pro-city pain in the derriere that they'll eventually HAVE to grant you your request! LOL! I'll give you some help...

BUFFALO BUFFALO BUFFALO BUFFALO BUFFALO BUFFALO BUFFALO BUFFALO

That should register quite a bit on the forum's Richter Scale! Best of luck to my friends in Western New York! I'll agree that many here in PA can empathize with you in feeling as if New York City overshadows the beauty that is in Upstate NY. We feel as if Philadelphia and Pittsburgh overshadow the rest of our state as well.

Old 12-19-2007, 08:19 AM

165 posts, read 662,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by londonbarcelona View Post
Long Island, NYC and Westchester County, it's as if none of WNY ever existed. Well except the fact that all our tax money goes to paying for their city infrastructure. I'd be amazed if Buffalo ever got back as much as it put into the til.
I hear it expressed frequently in WNY that NYC sucks the life out of Buffalo and WNY, that the tax dollars are being used mostly for NYC's benefit. Is there any real way to prove that contention? When people express that, to me, it just seems like bitterness, or naiveté, or jealousy. Hard numbers please. Logically, it doesn't make sense to me.

NYC is a well-oiled machine. A vast economic engine that if it were it's own country, would have a GNP right up there with some rather proud nations. Hypothetically, if New York City were to become its own state, the rest of Old New York state would wither... surrounding counties would lobby for annexation into the new City State and if they were successful in being allowed in, what remained of Old New York State (with Buffalo as it's most populous city) would look a hell of a lot worse than it does now.

IMHO, WNY's state of affairs are not caused by NYC in the least. Buffalo's economic engine broke long ago due to changing national and international economic climates. It is the fault of people who live here now, our parents who lived here, and the politicians we all elected. It is the economic responsibility of the governmental leaders we elect to modify the economic engine, at the first indication of problems, so that it continues to run powerfully. It can be a healthy economic engine again some day, but it won't happen by whining that our beautiful fellow-NY city downstate gets all the attention.

Anyway, I like Buffalo and WNY, and I think some time soon I'll be ready to say I love it. It does grow on me with every passing day. And I do think it is deserving of its own forum here at C-D too.

Old 12-19-2007, 09:19 AM

2,972 posts, read 8,212,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pragmaniac View Post
I hear it expressed frequently in WNY that NYC sucks the life out of Buffalo and WNY, that the tax dollars are being used mostly for NYC's benefit. Is there any real way to prove that contention? When people express that, to me, it just seems like bitterness, or naiveté, or jealousy. Hard numbers please. Logically, it doesn't make sense to me.
It took me a while to find it, but I posted here parts of the new (approved) budget of Erie County, NY whereas 88% of it is New York State mandates. (not NYC per say)

Health & Human Services includes Medicaid, welfare & foodstamps. Those are of state mandates of which eats up (as you can see in pie chart) the largest amount at 44%. Take note in this next chart, only 14% comes back to our County from State Aid.

New York State's Division of Budget outlines for 2007-08 of NYC:

Quote:
Outside of health care, other enacted savings include reducing certain State aid to New York City, instituting strict controls on spending by State agencies, enhancing savings opportunities in the State’s debt management, and maximizing Federal aid.
(see attachment below)

Granted the population between Erie County (921,390) & NYC (8,085,742) is much different, according to the US Census, but there you have some hard numbers to get an idea of the financial struggles of just one upstate County.

Last edited by FedupWNY; 12-19-2007 at 09:30 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area