Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2007, 11:02 PM

2 posts, read 8,002 times

Advertisements

My family is relocating to Buffalo in June and we are trying to get a sense of where we might like to live. We currently reside in Cambridge, MA and like an urban/funky setting. We've lived in DC, NYC and downtown Boston -- we are not suburbs kind of people.

We have two little kids (and a big dog) so nearby playgrounds would be good as well as a family neighborhood with other little kids (similar to where we are now). I also work from home and enjoy being able to stroll down the street for a cup of coffee or to meet friends for lunch.

We've been advised that Elmwood Village and North Buff (?) would be good for us. Also, we're hoping to find a cute little Victorian with a fireplace and (hopefully) it's own driveway... Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2007, 07:52 AM

1,049 posts, read 3,857,403 times
Hi and welcome!! I have also lived in Boston, MA, loved it!! Now I am in the Buffalo area, North Buffalo sounds like a good fit for you!!!!!! Something close to the zoo and the park and close to walking areas and fun unique shops.
Colleen

Old 12-17-2007, 08:46 AM

165 posts, read 662,209 times
I would recommend Elmwood Village. Good opportunities to walk to coffee, lunch, and dinner. You may find this pdf doc helpful:
http://www.berc.org/pdf/Elmwood.pdf (broken link)

Old 12-17-2007, 02:07 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,817,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lollicakes View Post
My family is relocating to Buffalo in June and we are trying to get a sense of where we might like to live. We currently reside in Cambridge, MA and like an urban/funky setting. We've lived in DC, NYC and downtown Boston -- we are not suburbs kind of people.

We have two little kids (and a big dog) so nearby playgrounds would be good as well as a family neighborhood with other little kids (similar to where we are now). I also work from home and enjoy being able to stroll down the street for a cup of coffee or to meet friends for lunch.

We've been advised that Elmwood Village and North Buff (?) would be good for us. Also, we're hoping to find a cute little Victorian with a fireplace and (hopefully) it's own driveway... Any thoughts?
Look between Elmwood Ave and Colvin Blvd. and north of the park. Most houses there have driveways, many have garages. In that area, you can walk to Hertel where you might find lots of things you would like. Living by the Elmwood Strip is fine, but houses are older and less likely to have driveways and garages. You can always drive over there and walk to Elmwood. For kids, the other area has more room. Also, the Elmwood area is heavier w/college kids.

Old 01-11-2008, 06:31 PM

2,039 posts, read 6,323,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lollicakes View Post

Have you thought about Williamsville? The village has a great feel and along Main street it's always busy.

Old 01-12-2008, 05:15 PM

51 posts, read 166,212 times
North Buffalo/Central Park area- you can walk up to Hertel Ave- or the Elmwood Village area- Highland Ave has tons of kids and great old houses- drawback not many houses have garages - most have driveways...Cleveland Ave, Bidwell Park area (Elm village)
All the areas I mentioned the homes are from the early 1900's and have tons of character! North Buffalo- has the benefit of being close to Delaware Park! You can't go wrong with either location!Good luck to you!

Old 01-13-2008, 07:08 AM

6 posts, read 20,638 times
I think you sound more like Elmwood Village people than North Buffalo (heh, village people). it has more of the "urban/funky" setting you mentioned. North Buffalo, while nice, is more of a suburby-neighborhood feel (not that it's necessarily a bad thing). .It's more difficult to find the multiple amenities within a short walking distance in N Buff than Elmwood

Elmwood village is within a quick bike ride, or slightly longer walk, to Delaware Park (on really lazy days I take the 3 minutes and drive it). My wife and I are the 3rd couple on our street to have a baby in the last year. The rest of the neighborhood is full of younger professionals and families. There are 3 charter schools in the area where many of the children go, and Lincoln Parkway and Campus West are pretty decent as far as public schools go.

Old 01-19-2008, 09:10 PM

40 posts, read 156,928 times
Why??????????????????????????????????????????

Old 01-23-2008, 11:05 AM

58 posts, read 325,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by run4it View Post
I think you sound more like Elmwood Village people than North Buffalo (heh, village people). it has more of the "urban/funky" setting you mentioned. North Buffalo, while nice, is more of a suburby-neighborhood feel (not that it's necessarily a bad thing). .It's more difficult to find the multiple amenities within a short walking distance in N Buff than Elmwood

Elmwood village is within a quick bike ride, or slightly longer walk, to Delaware Park (on really lazy days I take the 3 minutes and drive it). My wife and I are the 3rd couple on our street to have a baby in the last year. The rest of the neighborhood is full of younger professionals and families. There are 3 charter schools in the area where many of the children go, and Lincoln Parkway and Campus West are pretty decent as far as public schools go.
I agree - Elmwood Village is the way to go. I live in Allentown and walk to Elmwood all the time. It has all the amenities you need and a good urban feel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area