Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2014, 07:16 PM

2,253 posts, read 3,718,834 times

Advertisements

So basically suburban towns north of the city of Buffalo are the "north towns": Amherst, Clarence, etc. Southtowns would be places like Hamburg and Orchard Park. But I'm not so sure where Cheektowaga and Depew fall.

And as a general rule, the northtowns are the most affluent, the eastern suburbs the most "white ethnic working class" and the southtowns sort of in the middle. Northtowns tend to be more Italian, Jewish and Asian, Polish Americans are mostly in the eastern suburbs and the southtowns I guess are the least "ethnic."
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2014, 07:59 PM

811 posts, read 1,738,028 times
I thought quite a few of the South Towns would be considered affluent too, no? I'm thinking of Orchard Park and East Aurora.

Old 08-19-2014, 10:39 AM

1,969 posts, read 3,595,195 times
I think southtowns start with Hamburg at the highest point. Suburbs like Orchard Park, East Aurora, Elma, West Seneca, tend to not get hit with the Southtowns designation. But Hamburg, Lackawanna, and the towns below that (probably going as far down as, say, Dunkirk), would be deemed more as Southtowns

Old 08-19-2014, 11:42 AM

93,197 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTbrooktrout View Post
I thought quite a few of the South Towns would be considered affluent too, no? I'm thinking of Orchard Park and East Aurora.
Orchard Park is 14th and Aurora, the town East Aurora is in, is 55th on this list in terms of percentage: Amherst has Upstate's largest number of high-income households; Buffalo (yes, Buffalo) is third - Buffalo - Business First

Old 08-19-2014, 12:20 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,810,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Kensington View Post
So basically suburban towns north of the city of Buffalo are the "north towns": Amherst, Clarence, etc. Southtowns would be places like Hamburg and Orchard Park. But I'm not so sure where Cheektowaga and Depew fall.

And as a general rule, the northtowns are the most affluent, the eastern suburbs the most "white ethnic working class" and the southtowns sort of in the middle. Northtowns tend to be more Italian, Jewish and Asian, Polish Americans are mostly in the eastern suburbs and the southtowns I guess are the least "ethnic."
Your arrogance and ignorance is beyond bizarre in division of towns - but then I saw you are from Toronto.

You missed all the poorer ( or going down) north burbs: Tonawanda, Kenmore, etc. Add in City of Tonawanda and N. Tonawanda it is lower. Did you forget there is a big areas north of the city and west of Amherest? Obviously.

Depew, Sloan, Cheektowaga are eastern burbs which are generally being classed as northern. Again, being innner ring, they are going down in value.

W. Seneca and surrounding area? Southtowns.

Lancaster, Alden? East but classed with Northtowns and with all the building (: we are getting people fleeing inner burbs and city who can afford to buy new homes. Personally, I wish they'd stay in their original digs. This is nice out here - old families, some of whom are on their land from the early 1800s. Heavily German, good dose Polish, Irish and English if you look up the stats.

Most people have no desire to spend insane amounts to live where you do. I guess you'd call a "white ethnic working class" a person making under $100K with a home under $300K? Please keep your overpriced homes and salaries up there and come help our economy buying on this side of the border.

Old 08-19-2014, 06:55 PM

Why the hostility?

Old 08-20-2014, 10:30 AM

1,199 posts, read 2,868,368 times
Quote:

Here are my take on Buffalo's (Erie County) suburbs, some suburbs in Niagara County may be included as northtowns, but I'll just stick to Erie County

Northtowns
Grand Island - Middle to Upper Middle Class
Tonawanda (Town) - Lower Middle Class
Tonawanda (City) - Working class/Lower Middle Class
Kenmore - Lower Middle Class
Amherst (Eggertsville) - Lower Middle Class (higher than average AA population)
Amherst (Synder) - Upper Middle Class
Amherst (Williamsville) - Upper Middle Class (High Asian Population)
Amherst (East Amherst) - Upper Middle Class to Wealthy, (High Asian population)
Clarence - Upper Middle Class to Wealthy
Cheektowaga (Cleveland Hill) - Lower Middle Class (Higher than average AA population)
Cheektowaga (Pine Hill) - Working class (higher than average AA population)
Cheektowaga (Sloan) - Working class/Lower Middle Class
Cheektowaga (Depew) - Working Class/Lower Middle Class
Cheektowaga (South Cheektowaga) Lower Middle Class
Lancaster (village) - Lower middle class
Lancaster (Town) - Middle to Upper middle class

Southtowns
West Seneca - Lower Middle Class to Middle Class
Lackawanna - Working class (High Arab American Population)
Hamburg (Blasdell) - Working class to Lower Middle Class
Hamburg (Village) - Middle Class
Hamburg (Town) - Middle class
Orchard Park (Village) - Upper Middle Class
Orchard Park (Town) - Upper Middle Class to Wealthy
Aurora (Town) - Middle to Upper Middle Class
East Aurora - Upper Middle Class
Elma - Upper Middle Class

Old 08-22-2014, 02:15 PM

Quote:

You asked me in another post why I was hostile? A simple answer is to go back to see how you wrote your first post (above) . This is one of several posts you have posted. ALL of them are implying that there is something wrong with this city in either ethnicity, income, race.... just to name a few. [You have cited old data in many.] It isn't hostility. It is sheer annoyance at what appears to be intentionally just below the level of flaming/trolling. Is it?

Old 08-22-2014, 07:19 PM

That's your interpretation. I never implied anything was "wrong with this city." If you think calling a place "working class" is an insult, that's your problem not mine.

Old 08-24-2014, 07:22 PM

Quote:
That's your interpretation. I never implied anything was "wrong with this city." If you think calling a place "working class" is an insult, that's your problem not mine.
As I said once before, you use outdated definitions and data (in several posts). This blurs the lines of what fasts actually are.

Port North did a pretty good job there - he missed Marilla, he missed Alden ( far east of the county and a bit south)- and I disagree with some of what he defined, but its a good job.

Now you, king, define towns (it appears) by money and race. A perfect example of an "anomaly" to money and race would be the town next to mine: look it up and you find a high # of sex offenders.[ Uhh, they are in the 2 prisons. ]. You will find a much higher rate of old people - County Home [ recently moved back to Buffalo - does not reflect it yet]. These items [prisons & Home] skew all of Alden for income, age, race, things like sexual offenders and crime. It is a darn nice little town and the homes and income are quite varied - up to top levels, depending on your location. From your prior posts, I think you would demean the town. ... however, the farmers around me? Yes, I guess it is "working class", but very well off working class -- as opposed to the minimum or low wage people. Your terms are biased.

I find your definitions of people to be snobbish; that is what I find insulting. People are either good or bad, work hard or don't. Its up to them what they want to do with their lives. Some of the richest people I have ever known are the unhappiest; and vice versa... but that isn't reflected in your definitions. And every town has every type. I'd much rather live where there are good people than where they are arrogant and snobbish. And you don't have more of either in the North or South or Eastern burbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area