Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2014, 04:21 PM

44 posts, read 62,193 times

Advertisements

I've visited the Buffalo area twice (once for Niagara Falls, and once on my way to Toronto), and I had mixed feelings about it. It still struck me as a rather depressed area, but was not as bad as I had expected it to be. People just make it seem like a mini-Detroit. That isn't the impression I got, though I do understand where they're coming from. I LOVE the Elmwood area; it just seems so welcoming and the houses are beautiful.

So, those of you who live there, what do you think of the area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2014, 10:49 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,810,109 times
I came in the 1960s for college. I never left. If you like the weather, and the cost is to your liking and the job situation works for you ( as in you have one ) and you like what you see? Then it is a good place.

Old 08-28-2014, 06:22 AM

719 posts, read 1,552,819 times
What's not to love??? 4 distinct seasons, low cost of living, very easy commutes, friendly neighbors, strong sense of community, diverse ethic representation, highly educated, historic sites all over, beautiful architecture, easy access to NYC or Toronto. NHL/NFL pro sports. Minutes from 2 of the Great Lakes and Niagara Falls.
Need I go on?
I'd say get on our bandwagon now before it fills up!!

Old 08-28-2014, 11:43 AM

4,135 posts, read 10,810,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigD_JT_14221 View Post
Or gets high priced.

Old 08-28-2014, 12:08 PM

1,376 posts, read 2,164,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigD_JT_14221 View Post
What's not to love??? 4 distinct seasons, low cost of living, very easy commutes, friendly neighbors, strong sense of community, diverse ethic representation, highly educated, historic sites all over, beautiful architecture, easy access to NYC or Toronto. NHL/NFL pro sports. Minutes from 2 of the Great Lakes and Niagara Falls.
Need I go on?
You hit on what strikes me most about Buffalo. Having a few tenant properties over there, I've witnessed this first hand, and what a nice surprise it was. The friendliness seems warm and real, and whatever the Sabres or the Bills are doing, everyone is supportive and knowledgeable

Only one thing to add - the gardens. Not just public, but residents in all types of areas enjoy mixing art with gardening and out of that comes a whimsical and colourful gardening style unique to the area.

Old 08-29-2014, 12:03 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,401,995 times
Western New York is one of the most underrated areas in the country.

Low cost of living, good schools, good sense of community, best summer east of the Rockies, protected from natural disasters, and a diverse culture. It is also has real urban, suburban, and rural areas.

Old 08-29-2014, 04:36 PM

879 posts, read 1,629,837 times
I moved here in 1990 to go to school and never left. It's not for everyone, but I've always thought place is inconsequential. Best to find a good group of people you can really call friends, the place will sort itself out later. That being said, I love it here.

Old 08-29-2014, 09:02 PM

69 posts, read 194,011 times
I came to Buffalo for a summer internship in 2010 and liked both the job and the city, so came back in 2011 full-time and have been here since. I moved from Chicago, so I was used to big cities, and I was surprised how cosmopolitan and urban Buffalo is, especially for its size. There are beautiful well-kept neighborhoods that are straight out the 19th century, great and unique food, and a lovely waterfront, and it is very walkable and bike-able and also has good public transportation. There are some rough neighborhoods on the east side, so that's probably where the poor reputation comes from, but overall I have come to really like Buffalo. I don't mind cold weather as long as summers are warm and sunny (which they are), so the weather here doesn't bother me, but some people don't like it. Prices are still quite low here - you can still buy a historic house for $50,000 that is totally livable (though perhaps in need of some updating.) There is tons of development right now, though, and prices are rising, so that may not last.

Old 08-30-2014, 09:31 AM

2 posts, read 20,051 times
It's good if you can handle the extreme weather changes. There might not be a ton of stuff to do IN Buffalo, but there's a lot of good places surrounding it.
I wouldn't count on "easy access to NYC" though. I mean, it'll take at least 7 hours to get there.

Old 08-30-2014, 02:35 PM

3,573 posts, read 3,070,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by titanslayer000 View Post
It's good if you can handle the extreme weather changes. There might not be a ton of stuff to do IN Buffalo, but there's a lot of good places surrounding it.
I wouldn't count on "easy access to NYC" though. I mean, it'll take at least 7 hours to get there.
WNY is fairly compact, and along with nearby Ontario there are endless things to do. The topography allows easy travel and commuting, and unless one is limited to walking it is easy to enjoy what every local city, town, and village has to offer. I wouldn't say "there's nothing to do" in Buffalo (assuming you meant just the 42 square miles of city limits only), but it really depends on what you are interested in, just like any other community. Outside of mega malls, camping, skiing, beaches, and touristy things (like Darien Lake , Niagara Falls, etc) the City has quite a number of things going on at any given time, especially in the summer and Autumn, and certainly more than any other WNY communities.

As far as NYC access, there are also dozens of flights per day of less than an hour. Buffalo airport is about 20 minutes from downtown. There are also multiple Amtrak and buses, but as was said that's about 7 hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area