Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2014, 07:18 PM

3,483 posts, read 6,260,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor46 View Post
I moved here in 2008 from Seattle and am leaving in 2015 . . . I hate being cold. :-)

To me Buffalo does feel isolated and detached, Winters are too long, gray and snowy, and summers ARE too short (though can be quite beautiful). As for the tourists, of course there ARE some Canadian tourists here, but I'm not sure how you think that affects quality of life; they actually HELP the economy. There are also plenty of American tourists in Canada, so . . .

So negative about the area. I lived all over and now wish to head back. I'll take up cross country skiing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2014, 02:07 AM

4,135 posts, read 10,811,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I'm scared of change. And I'm scared that the Buffalo area in general might feel depressed, isolated and detached from America. And I'm worried that the summers are going to be too short and not warm enough. I'll probably miss the hot, humid days of CT. Other than that, everything sounds great.

Although, this one guy in the CT forum said that the Buffalo area is loaded with Canadian tourists. Ugh. How much of an impact does this really have on the Buffalo area?
Summers are hot (2 mos). Some days are just as humid as CT . You don't get a shorter summer - it starts warmer a bit later, but last longer. You still have water -- it just isn't LI Sound, its Lake Erie and it is fresh water here, not salt, but not much different otherwise. (Yes, I grew up down there across on LI - came over 45 years ago and never went back - not a regret in the world). Best part about here? You can cut your cost of living in half. (I have family in CT)

Old 11-10-2014, 07:21 AM

3,483 posts, read 6,260,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloTransplant View Post
Summers are hot (2 mos). Some days are just as humid as CT . You don't get a shorter summer - it starts warmer a bit later, but last longer. You still have water -- it just isn't LI Sound, its Lake Erie and it is fresh water here, not salt, but not much different otherwise. (Yes, I grew up down there across on LI - came over 45 years ago and never went back - not a regret in the world). Best part about here? You can cut your cost of living in half. (I have family in CT)

Cost of living is important!

Old 11-10-2014, 07:46 AM

355 posts, read 390,597 times
Quote:
Well, I sure as heck would rather live in Buffalo than Seattle!

Seattle is just way too cloudy and rainy for my taste. And EXPENSIVE. And it rarely gets warm at all. The traffic, stress and commuting is also a nightmare. So, I would choose Buffalo over Seattle any day!
Why are you so angry? You asked a question received a response. Nothing was said putting down the area or the residents. Just the dislike of the Buffalo weather.

Old 11-10-2014, 07:52 AM

93,234 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Quote:
I'm scared of change. And I'm scared that the Buffalo area in general might feel depressed, isolated and detached from America. And I'm worried that the summers are going to be too short and not warm enough. I'll probably miss the hot, humid days of CT. Other than that, everything sounds great.

Although, this one guy in the CT forum said that the Buffalo area is loaded with Canadian tourists. Ugh. How much of an impact does this really have on the Buffalo area?
You are overthinking this, as the area isn't detached from the rest of the country. If anything it is attached to a couple of regions in the US and to southern Ontario in Canada.

Old 11-10-2014, 09:49 AM

660 posts, read 1,006,212 times
Default Seattle s. Buffalo - ah, NO COMPARISON!

Yeah, Seattle does get it's share of gray and rain (though NYC get's more rainfall annually), overall it's a much, much, much better area than WNY, which has it's share of gray and clouds (and rain and SNOW and frigid temperatures) too. Seattle actually DOES get warm -- easily in the high 70's and 80's -- occasionally hotter -- in the Summer; Winters in the low 50's with occasional cold spells. In fact, here in Buffalo I only used my A/C 4 times this "Summer", while Seattle saw hotter temperatures. I lived in the city, so my "commute" was on foot or on the excellent mass transit they have (and that Buffalo lacks). While I think Buffalo has some great architecture and some assets, I can't wait to leave come 2015! I only moved here for a job and would never choose it explicitly. Sorry.

Quote:
Well, I sure as heck would rather live in Buffalo than Seattle!

Seattle is just way too cloudy and rainy for my taste. And EXPENSIVE. And it rarely gets warm at all. The traffic, stress and commuting is also a nightmare. So, I would choose Buffalo over Seattle any day!

Old 11-10-2014, 09:53 AM

660 posts, read 1,006,212 times
Default The Truth

This particular post did probably seem negative. Overall, I only came here for a job, so living here wasn't an explicit choice. Buffalo DOES have some friendly people, great arts and architecture and wonderful and historic walkable neighborhoods. Overall though, for me, it's too cold, Winters are too long, state and local taxes are too high, and the economy is too bad to keep me here, so I'm leaving in 2015. But that is just me. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmd69 View Post
So negative about the area. I lived all over and now wish to head back. I'll take up cross country skiing

Old 11-10-2014, 09:54 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,940,725 times
Quote:
Yeah, Seattle does get it's share of gray and rain (though NYC get's more rainfall annually), overall it's a much, much, much better area than WNY, which has it's share of gray and clouds (and rain and SNOW and frigid temperatures) too. Seattle actually DOES get warm -- easily in the high 70's and 80's -- occasionally hotter -- in the Summer; Winters in the low 50's with occasional cold spells. In fact, here in Buffalo I only used my A/C 4 times this "Summer", while Seattle saw hotter temperatures. I lived in the city, so my "commute" was on foot or on the excellent mass transit they have (and that Buffalo lacks). While I think Buffalo has some great architecture and some assets, I can't wait to leave come 2015! I only moved here for a job and would never choose it explicitly. Sorry.
I hate mass transit or any public transit whatsoever.

Old 11-10-2014, 09:58 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,940,725 times
Quote:
This particular post did probably seem negative. Overall, I only came here for a job, so living here wasn't an explicit choice. Buffalo DOES have some friendly people, great arts and architecture and wonderful and historic walkable neighborhoods. Overall though, for me, it's too cold, Winters are too long, state and local taxes are too high, and the economy is too bad to keep me here, so I'm leaving in 2015. But that is just me. :-)
Where are you planning on going to?

Old 11-10-2014, 04:56 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,811,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
And soon Delaware North's former home will be almost vacant when their new building is finished. Sure, it looks like progress now, but vacant buildings deteriorate fast.
We are talking about the mansion they were in as former home? Cheer up, the preservationists will be all over that one to make sure it doesn't. FWIW, the house knocked down behind that mansion, to make a parking lot? The staircase is in the Metropolitan Museum of Art's American Wing -- saved from the trash heap here. And that was the shabby mansion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area