Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 06:39 PM

5 posts, read 21,470 times

Advertisements

I recently moved into a house im renting. It has a fenced in yard and a garage which my son was really excited about because he likes to work on his car. The verbal agreement when we moved in was to notify the landlord of any repairs needed in the house. And WE told the landlord that we would maintain the yard by cutting grass, weed wacking, etc. he agreed.

Because we didnt know this prior to him coming, we had put a lock on the garage to protect my son's expensive tools and his vehicle for that matter. and when i came home the first time, the landlord had broken the lock on the garage and was in the yard mowing the grass.

2 weeks after moving in, my landlord is in and out of the garage and doing yard work ALL day. we are now into our home 2 1/2 months. He comes and goes into the garage, spends the entire day in our yard from early morning till evening without notice!

I spoke to him about the agreement we made upon moving in that WE would cut the grass. He now insists that he wants to do it. and that he doesnt have to give any notice. My son is very uncomfortable about him entering the garage and leaving garage door open all day, having his expensive tools exposed to the neighborhood that we are living in. We have a very small yard. it takes us aproximately 30 minutes to do the yardwork. When my landlord does it, it takes him from 9am-6pm to do this, only because he comes and leaves all day. Not sure what the procrastination is for, but it's certainly has nothing to do with the yard.

Just very uncomfortable with the situation, and don't know what to do. I just feel like he's invading my privacy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2012, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyhawke42 View Post
I recently moved into a house im renting. It has a fenced in yard and a garage which my son was really excited about because he likes to work on his car. The verbal agreement when we moved in was to notify the landlord of any repairs needed in the house. And WE told the landlord that we would maintain the yard by cutting grass, weed wacking, etc. he agreed.

Because we didnt know this prior to him coming, we had put a lock on the garage to protect my son's expensive tools and his vehicle for that matter. and when i came home the first time, the landlord had broken the lock on the garage and was in the yard mowing the grass.

2 weeks after moving in, my landlord is in and out of the garage and doing yard work ALL day. we are now into our home 2 1/2 months. He comes and goes into the garage, spends the entire day in our yard from early morning till evening without notice!

I spoke to him about the agreement we made upon moving in that WE would cut the grass. He now insists that he wants to do it. and that he doesnt have to give any notice. My son is very uncomfortable about him entering the garage and leaving garage door open all day, having his expensive tools exposed to the neighborhood that we are living in. We have a very small yard. it takes us aproximately 30 minutes to do the yardwork. When my landlord does it, it takes him from 9am-6pm to do this, only because he comes and leaves all day. Not sure what the procrastination is for, but it's certainly has nothing to do with the yard.

Just very uncomfortable with the situation, and don't know what to do. I just feel like he's invading my privacy.
please anyone with advice on what i should do???

Old 12-04-2012, 09:26 AM

223 posts, read 732,304 times
That's a tough situation. Does your lease to rent the prorerty say anything about the landlord having to give a minimum of 24 hrs notice (for example) to step on the property and does it state who will maintain the lawn?

Old 12-04-2012, 11:17 AM

there is no lease. we pay month to month rent.

Old 12-04-2012, 07:52 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,813,590 times
Your problem is you have no lease.

You need to contact Erie County about tenant rights or find a tenant rights group. However, this may get you into trouble w/the landlord and put out of the house.

From searching "Erie County NY tenant rights":
http://www.211wny.org/Erie-County/Se...ant%20Landlord

http://www.ag.ny.gov/sites/default/f...ights_2011.pdf

Old 12-05-2012, 10:51 AM

1,696 posts, read 4,348,456 times
This would make me very upset. Weird, obnoxious landlords are the biggest reason I am happy to be a home owner and not a renter.

I think there is absolutely nothing you can do legally. You are in a really unfavorable position with no lease, no written agreement or contract, etc.

Let's all try to think of something you could do to make the landlord not want to be there. Like some way of making him uncomfortable. Turn the tables: he's being creepy and intrusive and making you guys feel uneasy.. what would kind of do the same to him? We need to think of a way to 'scare him off' but not kick you out.. although if I were you I'd be looking for a new place anyway.

I like using this technique when people act really weird or inappropriate around me. I give it back to them times 10 and freak out the freak so they leave me alone. It works really well and is hilarious! If you cower in the house while he's all over the property, you are kind of enabling him. You have to go out there and act weird, intrusive, (just like he's doing to you) so that he's like "get me outa here! I'm never coming back here!" But like I said it would have to be a non-evictable sort of weird..

You could even stage a theft of your son's tools. If he leaves the garage open have someone come take stuff and then confront the landlord about it to make him feel bad or teach him a lesson.

My theory is that the landlord is hiding out from something or someone and using his rental properties to avoid whatever that is.

Old 12-05-2012, 07:06 PM

984 posts, read 2,711,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k9coach View Post
Turn the tables: he's being creepy and intrusive and making you guys feel uneasy.. what would kind of do the same to him? We need to think of a way to 'scare him off' but not kick you out.. although if I were you I'd be looking for a new place anyway. .
Nude sunbathing...

Old 12-05-2012, 07:13 PM

1,696 posts, read 4,348,456 times
Yes marc! I mean the landlord is doing yard work in DECEMBER in Buffalo. The renter should go out in nothing but a flowery bathing cap and say "oooh are we playing that game where we pretend it's summer?! Yay! Can you smear this sunscreen on my back?"

Old 12-06-2012, 07:05 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,715,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k9coach View Post
Yes marc! I mean the landlord is doing yard work in DECEMBER in Buffalo. The renter should go out in nothing but a flowery bathing cap and say "oooh are we playing that game where we pretend it's summer?! Yay! Can you smear this sunscreen on my back?"
I had a friend in a situation where he had annoying neighbors... So while the neighbors were out in their yard, he would run out the back door in a pirate hat, and start yelling at squirrels "I KNOW WHAT YOU DID"... that did the trick.

Old 12-10-2012, 07:49 AM

101 posts, read 247,777 times
Unfortunately without a written lease agreement you do not have many options. I'm not in favor of being decietful or manipulative it would mostly likey cause you more difficulties in the long run. Since you are on a month-to-month rental, I would start looking for a new place with a written agreement.

If leaving your current situation is truely not an option for you my only suggestion would be to try and beat him to it, meaning if he comes at 9am everyday to "work" in the yard try and get out there and do it it yourself before he arrives. /if he insists on staying you could remind him that you do have privacy rights and you feel those rights are being ignored.

If you must go the route of talking to a Tenants Right Group be prepared to leave your current living situation behind. If your landlord feels you are more trouble than the worth of the rent he will find a way to force you out.

I wish you all the best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area