Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2015, 03:52 PM

1,376 posts, read 2,166,802 times

Advertisements

What the heck is with the Skadge still having this ridiculous speed limit? I know there was a terrible accident there a few months back but is it really helping, to force everyone to drive at ramp speed through the park? Even if the accident was speed related which I don't think it was... why 30? Seems that most are not adhering to it any more anyway and those who do, are almost causing accidents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2015, 04:30 PM

6,422 posts, read 4,917,410 times
To avoid another catastrophe the speed limit was lowered to 30MPH. If there was another tragedy can you imagine the lawsuit? After numerous studies they will most likely convert it into a parkway, whatever that means, with a lower speed limit, pedestrian crossings and a more "people friendly" thoroughfare.

Old 10-15-2015, 01:54 PM

Filling the cities coffers I wouldn't expect any changes in the near future. New York never found a revenue stream it didn't like.

1,200 stopped for speeding so far on now-30 mph Scajaquada - City & Region - The Buffalo News

Old 10-15-2015, 08:21 PM

879 posts, read 1,631,737 times
30 mph is a good speed for that curvy road. It should be strictly enforced. Camera's would be best. It's too curvy for Buffalo's winters and snow.

Old 10-16-2015, 07:15 AM

Does anyone think 300-600 dollars for a speeding ticket is excessive?

Old 10-17-2015, 04:57 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,202,657 times
The dream of many Buffalonians to get rid of the Scajacquada Expressway is probably at least as old as the expressway itself since it replaced a low speed, low traffic road that ran between Lincoln Parkway and Parkside Avenue with a high speed, high traffic expressway that sliced through Delaware Park. The accident provides the impetus to do it.

I think the old parkway was called Humboldt Parkway, and I think it continued east to at least Main Street. As a little kid, like 5 or 6, I remember riding on it. It was common to see riders on horseback on the bridle paths that ran along side the road. I also think that we watched speedboat races or something like that on Delaware Park Lake from the area between the old parkway and the lake, but it's a pretty fuzzy memory.

People who love Delaware Park and/or had a connection to it (my family lived over in the Grant Amherst neighborhood, so we weren't very far from it) are happy to see these changes. It's just too bad that it took a tragedy to initiate it.

Old 10-17-2015, 10:44 AM

1,376 posts, read 2,166,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
The dream of many Buffalonians to get rid of the Scajacquada Expressway is probably at least as old as the expressway itself since it replaced a low speed, low traffic road that ran between Lincoln Parkway and Parkside Avenue with a high speed, high traffic expressway that sliced through Delaware Park. The accident provides the impetus to do it.

I think the old parkway was called Humboldt Parkway, and I think it continued east to at least Main Street. As a little kid, like 5 or 6, I remember riding on it. It was common to see riders on horseback on the bridle paths that ran along side the road. I also think that we watched speedboat races or something like that on Delaware Park Lake from the area between the old parkway and the lake, but it's a pretty fuzzy memory.

People who love Delaware Park and/or had a connection to it (my family lived over in the Grant Amherst neighborhood, so we weren't very far from it) are happy to see these changes. It's just too bad that it took a tragedy to initiate it.
Thanks for this, Linda. I had no idea of this history

Old 10-17-2015, 05:57 PM

355 posts, read 869,423 times
I agree, 30 is a too low. Going from 55 to 45 would have been a better compromise.

Old 10-17-2015, 05:59 PM

355 posts, read 869,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
Does anyone think 300-600 dollars for a speeding ticket is excessive?
Yes that is a ton of money for a speeding ticket. All the more reason to pay attention to the speed limit signs.

Old 10-17-2015, 07:11 PM

2,008 posts, read 1,248,474 times
The Scajaquada Not-So-Expressway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area