Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2016, 12:41 PM

7 posts, read 6,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfr70 View Post
Is it possible to live comfortably in the Buffalo area on $23k yearly or $11.00/hr salary? And will $700/month rent budget get a comfortable, 1BR apt in relatively safe area?
You could live on that and not have much of a life. OR, you can do what I did when I use to make $11 per hour. I got a second job called "looking for a better job". Talk to people. Everyone. Be nice to everyone. At Wegmans when you're buying apples, strike up a conversation with someone. Obviously be presentable and not threatening about it; be genuine. Buffalo might not be busting at the seems with great paying jobs BUT there are jobs that pay 6 figures out there. YOU have to go out and get it. Or you can squeak by. Its your life. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2016, 04:14 PM

8 posts, read 9,457 times
If it weren't for family/friends in the NY area, I would have considered the mid Atlantic area for the temperate climate. It seems like a perfect 'in between' of the two weather extremes. Renting there during winter months sounds like a nice plan for retirement. I may steal that idea and look into that for myself in the future!

As for the South, if I never see it again I will be happy. I've actually gotten accustomed to the creepy crawlies here. After 10 years it just happens. I see a lizard in the house now and I have no qualms about scooping him up and bringing him outside, whereas my first encounter with one when I first arrived in FL I nearly hit the ceiling in fear lol.

It's just the heat that's become unbearable for me. 2015 was the hottest i've ever experienced here with temps staying in the 90's from Aug through Dec. One is just trapped inside for months with the AC running 24/7. I need to live where I can open the windows and breathe in the fresh air.

Old 01-22-2016, 04:20 PM

8 posts, read 9,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuse22 View Post
You could live on that and not have much of a life. OR, you can do what I did when I use to make $11 per hour. I got a second job called "looking for a better job". Talk to people. Everyone. Be nice to everyone. At Wegmans when you're buying apples, strike up a conversation with someone. Obviously be presentable and not threatening about it; be genuine. Buffalo might not be busting at the seems with great paying jobs BUT there are jobs that pay 6 figures out there. YOU have to go out and get it. Or you can squeak by. Its your life. Good luck!
Thanks for the great advice. I've done that a few times actually. Worked one FT job and right afterwards go to the local Shop Rite and put in 4 hrs more a few weeknights. It was exhausting, but well worth it for the extra money brought in. (Of course that was when I was much younger and had more energy lol).

Old 02-05-2016, 09:30 PM

7 posts, read 6,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfr70 View Post
Thanks for the great advice. I've done that a few times actually. Worked one FT job and right afterwards go to the local Shop Rite and put in 4 hrs more a few weeknights. It was exhausting, but well worth it for the extra money brought in. (Of course that was when I was much younger and had more energy lol).
NOOOO. Do not get a second dead end job. Why make $10 per hour working 80 per week?! You have to think outside the box man! A homeless man with no education made a fertilizer out of worm **** and now he is a millionaire. And do not give me that "when I was younger" crap. A positive attitude will give you more energy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area