Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 09:01 PM

2,039 posts, read 6,323,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zanna vaida View Post
Thank you, Londonbarcelona for the great video.
Way to go. Some people can't see the green grass in front of their noses. The land is beatiful.
You're welcome! I started a video thread where I will continue to post more videos! Buffalo, in my opinion, is still pretty nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2008, 09:49 AM

327 posts, read 939,535 times
Thumbs up Western New York

I'm not talking about only city of Buffalo, but Western New York Area-Buffalo Niagara regions. I consider Buffalo as the capital of Erie county because the government is located there. Do you agree?

Old 03-20-2008, 02:02 PM

2,039 posts, read 6,323,423 times
Quote:
I'm not talking about only city of Buffalo, but Western New York Area-Buffalo Niagara regions. I consider Buffalo as the capital of Erie county because the government is located there. Do you agree?
YUP! I agree with you.

Old 03-24-2008, 11:42 AM

327 posts, read 939,535 times
Thumbs up Western New York

To whoever it concerns:
Are you aware of any famous or popular foreign born Western New York-Erie County residents? Why do you think they are famous?

Old 03-18-2012, 05:40 PM

4 posts, read 8,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oktaren View Post
Because we are part of new york state. Most of the taxes people pay get pushed off to NYC, etc and we are left with high taxes and not much to show for it.
That's the erroneous upstater's perception. Here in NYC, we know better. We kick in WAY more taxes than you people do and we get back far less from Albany, and if you check the facts you'll find that to be true. So basically we're subsidizing upstate. Show a little gratitude, 'kay?

Old 03-18-2012, 10:48 PM

146 posts, read 238,370 times
I don't think it's as great as many on here would make it out to be. The housing costs are not bad, especially when you compare to big cities like Boston or NYC. We are not Boston or NYC though. That is a different situation. The area I lived in down in FL was not a high profile city, but the housing costs seemed to be on par or less overall. The taxes were much less too as a previous poster mentioned. Basically what I pay in taxes now on my very modest 250K new house is equivalent to what someone in FL would pay on a $900,000 home, about 4000 square feet, in an exclusive gated community on a barrier island with a 10 minute walk to the ocean. The heating costs are more than A/C costs in FL. (maybe not as much this year!!) I think food might be more up here except for the dairy products in general. Gas is a fair amount higher. And I see house hunters on hgtv all the time and I can tell that our real estate isn't less than a lot of other areas of the country.
We have a lot of things going for us and I love our region, but I think the low housing cost is a bit overrated.

Old 03-18-2012, 11:04 PM

984 posts, read 2,712,476 times
You two realize you're reviving a 4 year old thread?

Old 03-19-2012, 08:04 AM

744 posts, read 1,768,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dendrobium View Post
about 4000 square feet, in an exclusive gated community on a barrier island with a 10 minute walk to the ocean. .
Of course a major difference is that in WNY you do not HAVE to live in a gated community to be or feel safe.

Old 03-19-2012, 09:52 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,815,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dendrobium View Post
I don't think it's as great as many on here would make it out to be. The housing costs are not bad, especially when you compare to big cities like Boston or NYC. We are not Boston or NYC though. That is a different situation. The area I lived in down in FL was not a high profile city, but the housing costs seemed to be on par or less overall. The taxes were much less too as a previous poster mentioned. Basically what I pay in taxes now on my very modest 250K new house is equivalent to what someone in FL would pay on a $900,000 home, about 4000 square feet, in an exclusive gated community on a barrier island with a 10 minute walk to the ocean. The heating costs are more than A/C costs in FL. (maybe not as much this year!!) I think food might be more up here except for the dairy products in general. Gas is a fair amount higher. And I see house hunters on hgtv all the time and I can tell that our real estate isn't less than a lot of other areas of the country.
We have a lot of things going for us and I love our region, but I think the low housing cost is a bit overrated.
What did $250K buy you? New house? Old house? Good insulation and hi efficiency appliances or little insulation and older heating ( etc.) . You make the assumption everyone wants to live in a gated community (snobs, IMHO) and in walking distance to beaches. FL grows veggie, we have cows and wonderful summer veggies (just go to farmers markets).

I know what my niece pays near Orlando and she pays lots more for utilities in a "modest" home for utilities and almost everything else, when totaled. She also pays exorbitant amounts on road tolls, according to my daughter. Her house value has plummeted and she isn't happy.

The market here is still going up.

Old 04-18-2012, 08:37 AM

450 posts, read 1,059,419 times
Quote:
Why do you think properties are very affordable in Western New York?
Are 500k+ homes in Clarence, E. Amherst or E. Aurora affordable? Probably to some folks, however your question speaks to the functioning of the market. Prices are higher where people want to live and are moving to. Draw your own conclusions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area