Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2017, 12:43 AM

1 posts, read 1,001 times

Advertisements

Hello, I a Northern Virginia Community College student looking to transfer in the upstate New York area, but I have a few questions about the colleges I'm interested in.

1. The colleges I am interested in are UB, SUNY Geneseo, Canisius, Buffalo State, D'Youville, Daemen, Medaille, Hilbert, St. John Fisher, Nazreth College and possibly Keuka. Which of these colleges would you consider good, bad, and the best of this list?

2. I get that both Buffalo/Rochester can be quite grizzly. Are there any safety concerns about any of the colleges I have listed (like bad neighborhoods, weird on campus crime, etc)? Still, I have lived in the DC ghetto before (Brookland), so I know to keep calm and be aware of my surroundings.

My reason for moving up here is I'm looking for more mature hard working people and less stupid people. Any help would be great, thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2017, 06:06 AM

2,899 posts, read 1,869,150 times
All those colleges are fine. A few others to consider would be ( not in the immediate buffalo area but still WNY) suny Fredonia or Niagara university.

Geneseo is also located in a small college town out of the buffalo metro area.

Keuka is even farther out into the finger lakes. Beautiful small town country and farming/wine region. But not an exciting urban area.

Crime in buffalo is not bad if you are not in a gang, into drugs stay out of the East side and a few areas of the West side etc.. The weather isn't as bad as you've heard either it's way overblown.

I don't know nearly as much about Rochester but I'm sure others do. I have family that has gone to RIT and gotten fantastic engineering degrees with great careers.

What major or program are you interested in? Give us some more info what enviornment you are looking for and what type of degree and we can give better advice

Old 04-19-2017, 04:25 PM

93,347 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Keep in mind with many of the Buffalo area colleges, they aren't within the city. Daemen is in the Snyder portion of Amherst. Hilbert is in Hamburg. Both of UB's campuses are also in Amherst.

Old 04-19-2017, 06:06 PM

3,576 posts, read 3,078,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Keep in mind with many of the Buffalo area colleges, they aren't within the city. Daemen is in the Snyder portion of Amherst. Hilbert is in Hamburg. Both of UB's campuses are also in Amherst.
UB South campus is fully in the Buffalo city limits, near the Amherst/Buffalo border, and accessible by Metro rail and bus. The soon to be opened UB Medical School will be near downtown Buffalo. The South campus is primarily the graduate schools, with some undergraduate programs maintained. Many undergraduates live in the area, as it is urban and students don't need a car to live off-campus, and commute to the North campus via UB busses.

Buffalo State, Canisius, D'Youville, and Medaille are all located in the central and northern parts of the city. Erie Community has suburban and a downtown campus. Trocaire is in South Buffalo.

The most desirable areas in the city are located near the Buffalo State campus (Elmwood Village, Delaware Park), and there are new student apartments being constructed near the school, but in the rougher neighborhoods to the west of the school (which are also quickly gentrifying).

The UB area of the city tends to have better neighborhoods to the west of campus (west of Main) - east of Main is hit or miss but there are many students renting homes and apartments. Many walkable stores, restaurants, bars, and businesses, but not as busy as it was several years ago when there were more undergrads at the South campus. A new student apartment complex east of Main just opened this year.

D'Youville is shaping up to be a nice city campus, with student apartments available with security. The area is rapidly upscaling, and is close to Elmwood Village, Allentown, and downtown.

Last edited by RocketSci; 04-19-2017 at 06:19 PM..

Old 04-19-2017, 07:34 PM

3,576 posts, read 3,078,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaalees88 View Post
Hello, I a Northern Virginia Community College student looking to transfer in the upstate New York area, but I have a few questions about the colleges I'm interested in.

1. The colleges I am interested in are UB, SUNY Geneseo, Canisius, Buffalo State, D'Youville, Daemen, Medaille, Hilbert, St. John Fisher, Nazreth College and possibly Keuka. Which of these colleges would you consider good, bad, and the best of this list?

2. I get that both Buffalo/Rochester can be quite grizzly. Are there any safety concerns about any of the colleges I have listed (like bad neighborhoods, weird on campus crime, etc)? Still, I have lived in the DC ghetto before (Brookland), so I know to keep calm and be aware of my surroundings.

My reason for moving up here is I'm looking for more mature hard working people and less stupid people. Any help would be great, thanks.
Since no one really answered, UB is the largest of the above schools, has the broadest scope of academic and extracurricular programs, has a selective admittance and enrollment, and has a generally career-minded student body. It's primary undergraduate campus is located in suburban Amherst, but is easily accessible by UB buses which connect to the South Campus (city campus) located at the hub of Metro rail and buses. Although it has its share of partying students, its academic standards for admission and curriculum tend to draw a more serious student. It also has one of the largest foreign student bodies in the US.

Your desired major, however, may have an impact on which schools to consider - along with cost differences between private and state schools. From a cost and quality standpoint, UB tops the list, in my humble but correct opinion as an alumni.

Old 04-19-2017, 07:37 PM

1,330 posts, read 1,328,360 times
Suny Geneseo is regionally ranked very high for Northern Universities (#19 US News). So depending on what you are going to school for, it may be the highest rated of those listed. Geneseo is a historic village south of Rochester with a fairly rural area around the village. The village itself is a good college town.

St. John Fisher and Nazareth College even though they list "Rochester" as their address, are both in Pittsford. Pittsford is one of the most affluent suburbs in Rochester and all of Upstate NY for that matter. It's just a few minutes drive outside of the city though for going into the city for entertainment. And they are both directly on the bus line. They are both very respected schools as well.

So the 3 schools you listed in Rochester are all very good and in very safe parts of the metro.

What is it you're planning on going to school for?

Old 04-23-2017, 09:10 AM

244 posts, read 414,869 times
What do you want to go to school for?

I attended UB for two years and did not have a good experience. I found the large classes and bureaucracy overwhelming. I attending a similarly sized school now but with much smaller classes and am performing much better (4.0 in three of my four semesters).

Each school has its pros and cons. What are you looking for? Rank isn't everything.

Old 02-26-2018, 09:05 AM

3 posts, read 1,811 times
Are yoHave you decided on a school? What were you considering majoring in?

Old 02-26-2018, 03:35 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,091,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaalees88 View Post
OP just transferring to a 4yr+ school from a Community College will get you largely away for the glorified high school feel that you have most likely experienced. Slackers and morons are everywhere so don't be surprised what you find when you get to your next school, good luck.

Old 02-26-2018, 07:54 PM

5,705 posts, read 4,095,453 times
Looking at the chosen schools, I wonder why Brockport isn't on the list?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area