Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 07:48 PM

3,483 posts, read 6,258,901 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zanna vaida View Post
We would always welcome them back home: Western New York because there's so much to do here all year long. Forgot when you had fun last time?
Come home -- the door for you is always opened.
I'd come back if my former company URS Consultants would take me back as an environmental project manager.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2008, 07:50 PM

3,483 posts, read 6,258,901 times
By the way I left on good terms.

Old 03-19-2008, 09:40 AM

542 posts, read 1,684,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coraggio View Post
Well, my hubby and I have both lost our jobs, and with 2 kids and a mortgage, there's only so long we can subsist on unemployment and savings, so we are thinking of moving back out of WNY. Problem is, we're not sure where to go!

We have friends/family in Phoenix AZ; Boston, MA; southern New Jersey/Philadelphia, PA; Stamford, CT; and Cary, NC, so those are all under consideration, but I thought it would be interesting to hear from people who left WNY and are HAPPY with where they live. Anyone care to share???
I grew up in WNY and I never want to live there again lol. I've lived in NJ, Denver, Columbus, OH and the Dallas, TX area. I'm back in Texas for the third time lol. I love it here. The housing market is so affordable and the climate is great. I think some of your above choices are very pricey areas to live in and may make it even tougher for you.

Old 03-19-2008, 12:48 PM

161 posts, read 703,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vukinjo View Post
I grew up in WNY and I never want to live there again lol. I've lived in NJ, Denver, Columbus, OH and the Dallas, TX area. I'm back in Texas for the third time lol. I love it here. The housing market is so affordable and the climate is great. I think some of your above choices are very pricey areas to live in and may make it even tougher for you.
I know! We really are very spoiled wrt housing prices around here. The other side of that coin, though, that we wouldn't make enough on the sale of our house here to afford much house elsewhere.

What did you think of Columbus, and how long ago did you live there? My hubby has gotten some calls from a company there. I don't know much about it.

Old 03-19-2008, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coraggio View Post
I know! We really are very spoiled wrt housing prices around here. The other side of that coin, though, that we wouldn't make enough on the sale of our house here to afford much house elsewhere.

What did you think of Columbus, and how long ago did you live there? My hubby has gotten some calls from a company there. I don't know much about it.
I really liked Columbus a lot. We lived there for four years before moving back to Texas last summer. There are some nice areas, but some are really high with property taxes especially the desirable school districts. I actually lived in Columbus but had Worthington schools which are rated pretty highly. I do miss all my friends in Columbus but I do like the Texas weather better!

The COSI museum is a lot of fun for both kids and adults. Of course, there is The Ohio State University Buckeyes - be prepared to be overwhelmed during college football season lol. If you like hockey, they have the Blue Jackets. The Columbus Zoo is a wonderful zoo. There is a lot to do for everyone and a great family city.

Old 03-19-2008, 06:06 PM

2,440 posts, read 6,255,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vukinjo View Post
Climate is great? From May to early October the climate is awful, unless you like being drenched with sweat.

Old 03-19-2008, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygreta View Post
Climate is great? From May to early October the climate is awful, unless you like being drenched with sweat.
lol, actually this past summer was great and it was actually hotter and more humid up in the midwest and northeast.

Old 03-23-2008, 11:03 PM

1 posts, read 2,045 times
I moved from Buffalo (to Rochester for 4 years) to Pasadena, CA, and I loved the mountains, beach and weather! There was also so much going on in Old Town compared to Buffalo, it felt so vibrant.

But...I just moved back to Buffalo because I missed it, and it's so much more affordable. I am going to be attending UB law school in the fall, and it's a fraction of the price of the school I was attending in SoCal. I am really excited to move to the Allentown or Elmwood areas. (I'm currently house-sitting for my family in East Aurora).

So this is a kind of yes/no answer to the thread. Yes, I've moved somewhere else and liked it, but not enough to stay. I'm so excited to be back in Buffalo, but odds are pretty good that in about 5 years I will be wanting a change, and better weather. I think Buffalo will always be my home, but I've decided that I don't have to consider any place my permanent residence (I don't have kids), and I am open to moving several times throughout my life. Denver and Scottsdale both sound like appealing places, but certainly much more $$ than Buffalo, just like Pasadena.

Old 04-06-2008, 02:49 PM

10 posts, read 29,919 times
I live near Cary, NC moved from Buffalo 2 years ago and love it here. Cary is a really nice upper middle class suburb of Raleigh. The weather is fantastic and still close enough to Buffalo to drive home and see the family. Relatively low cost of living, comparable to Buffalo and the research triangle park offers many job opportunities. Picture a really, really nice Buffalo with a non-violent downtown area and outdoor cafes, thats Raleigh. Oh yea and no snow. Good luck, I hope everything works out for you and your family.

And of the three cities you listed under consideration, I can 100% assure you that Cary, NC is the least expensive with a similar quality of life.

Old 04-06-2008, 04:30 PM

1,293 posts, read 4,996,709 times
Lived in Tonawanda/Lockport most of my life. My fiance and I decided to live in Cary, NC for awhile. We moved back about eight months ago to Rochester.

Why? Well we missed the culture and family. I had a "good" job there but I ended up finding a better one up here.

I don't care what anybody says, the summers up north are far better than anything down south. The hills are plush, you have a breeze coming off the lake. There are more than pine trees for vegetation. The heat down there is unbearable to me, I will take winter over that please. Other than the ocean the waterways are FAR better.

The traffic is getting pretty bad in some areas, they really do need more roadways.

Try finding more than chain restaurants, they are there, but mostly your going to stuck buying chain food. How about a downtown, Chippewa or Elmwood ave are great. But you have a coffee shop and a handful of bars total in Raleigh.

So in my opinion, I like where I live now. Still close to home (Buffalo) but I have a decent job and affordable housing in what looks to me a good city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area