Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2019, 10:54 AM

6,411 posts, read 4,908,175 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSci View Post
Ok

My assessment didn't change, but my market value nearly doubled since I bought it 4 years ago. Houses in my neighborhood currently are selling above list price.

That's why the city makes good sense for home buying, and why there is a high demand in the better parts and gentrifying areas of the city.

Lower taxes and higher appreciation than the suburbs. Add walkability, charter schools, SAY YES program, and it is a great combo for many people.
It depends on your age and situation. For younger folks with a longer timeline I can see the benefits. For older folks not so much. Many areas have only on street parking which in the winter can be a problem. Older houses tend to need more work and are more expensive to heat. I have friends with a Civil War era house that is like an icebox. You can't change the windows without ruining the aesthetics, so putting insulation in the exterior walls would have a minimal effect with the same windows. I dress warmly when I go to visit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2019, 11:45 AM

3,575 posts, read 3,075,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
It depends on your age and situation. For younger folks with a longer timeline I can see the benefits. For older folks not so much. Many areas have only on street parking which in the winter can be a problem. Older houses tend to need more work and are more expensive to heat. I have friends with a Civil War era house that is like an icebox. You can't change the windows without ruining the aesthetics, so putting insulation in the exterior walls would have a minimal effect with the same windows. I dress warmly when I go to visit.
What do you consider young? My mother lived in the city into her late 80s and had zero interest in being away from the convenience of having everything close. The city is a big place with many types of homes, streets, and amenities. One old cold house without off-street parking doesn't mean every house is that way.

I guess I could also say that Sloan is not like Elma either - there is a big wide variety in the city and the suburbs.

Old 01-15-2019, 11:59 AM

Quote:
What do you consider young? My mother lived in the city into her late 80s and had zero interest in being away from the convenience of having everything close. The city is a big place with many types of homes, streets, and amenities. One old cold house without off-street parking doesn't mean every house is that way.

I guess I could also say that Sloan is not like Elma either - there is a big wide variety in the city and the suburbs.
"Many areas have only on street parking which in the winter can be a problem". You notice I said many, not all. I am not trying to get into an argument with someone who is obviously a city lover. The city is far from homogeneous which is what gives it its charm. The point I was making is that for older folks living there can be a challenge. My niece and lots of my friends love it, but they are younger. We had a business there for over 50 years, which survived 10 break-ins, 2 fires and a robbery. It was finally killed, amongst other things, by the lack of parking. I am very familiar with the city and I considered it my civic duty to keep our business there until it was no longer financially feasible.

Last edited by Thundarr457; 01-15-2019 at 12:08 PM..

Old 01-16-2019, 03:01 PM
JH6

1,435 posts, read 3,217,522 times
Quote:
My Erie county taxes went up a whole $18 a year in 2019.

My property taxes in Buffalo are only 1/4 what I paid in Texas.
My homeowners insurance in Buffalo is 1/2 of what I paid in Texas, and it covers 2x more replacement value in Buffalo.
I also paid separate sewer and garbage fees, HOA fees, quarterly neighborhood patrol fees, and a home alarm fee in Texas.
In Buffalo my house is taxed at less than half of its true market value, in Texas at full value adjusted yearly (usually up).

The area of Texas is "thriving and growing" at the expense of current residents, with little to no services and maintenance provided to existing homeowners or roadways. Sidewalks are lacking. Roads are crowded and decaying. Flooding is often catastrophic. Many city streets still have ditches, even in expensive areas.

I am in the process of spending full-time in Buffalo this year and it can't come soon enough. My Buffalo neighborhood is also thriving, with excellent medical and (soon to be completed) renovated housing.
There is more to it than a few bucks here and there. In Buffalo I had no job in my career field. Neither did my wife. We took our education to Texas and more than doubled our income on day one.

We have been here 7 years. We lived in Austin for the past six years, now San Antonio. When we arrived in San Antonio we enjoyed another 20k pay raise for each of us, and far lower expenses than Austin.

We enjoyed a significant amount of equity in our Austin home, which paid off all our bills and loans.

I found that property taxes are similar between Central Texas and Buffalo. Water is much higher, electric is much cheaper. HOA is prevalent, but we had tennis courts and swimming pools and for $350 per year, I think it was worth it from a recreation standpoint alone. I just paid $1.77 for a gallon of gas in my car.

Interesting on the homeowner insurance. My $200k house in Austin Suburb was about half the insurance cost of my $48k duplex in South Buffalo. I would say unless you are on the coast, it costs less to rebuild a 2008 home than a 1900's home.

I'm not sure what part of Texas you were in, but Dallas, Houston, Austin has roadwork going all the time.

Every place has its pro's and cons, and Texas is not perfect but I can drive to the beach in 90 minutes and it was 75 degrees last week.

Not even mentioning things to do. We have been to every major city in Texas and rarely have to leave the state to find something unique to do. We aren't bored yet either. There is so much to do, and so many new restaurants and attractions all over the place.

When I lived in NY we would walk the mall on the weekend, or meet friends at a bar.

Old 01-16-2019, 04:10 PM

3,483 posts, read 6,262,232 times
Maybe the governor will,used his pot money to lower our taxes. Lol.

Old 01-16-2019, 05:44 PM

2,898 posts, read 1,867,350 times
This is what happens when our state is effectively a 1 party state and out local communities are forced to follow crazy laws and high taxes.

At least all the town, county, state employees have fantastic pay, benefits and pension as a result of our taxes

Old 01-16-2019, 07:09 PM

3,483 posts, read 6,262,232 times
Then they all leave for cheaper taxes and sunny weather. I have one more move left in me. Lol.

Old 01-16-2019, 08:10 PM

3,575 posts, read 3,075,384 times
I understand why this forum has become so empty the last couple of years, as it has become a sounding board for old farts who don't live in the city to complain about Buffalo, taxes, and the government. As I also may be considered an old fart now, I will give this forum another chance and just use my ignore setting more and see if I remain the only person left. I really am sick of the constantly negative attitude of, unfortunately, the majority of current posters. Enjoy yourselves.

Old 01-16-2019, 08:23 PM

Quote:
I understand why this forum has become so empty the last couple of years, as it has become a sounding board for old farts who don't live in the city to complain about Buffalo, taxes, and the government. As I also may be considered an old fart now, I will give this forum another chance and just use my ignore setting more and see if I remain the only person left. I really am sick of the constantly negative attitude of, unfortunately, the majority of current posters. Enjoy yourselves.
There is no reason to insult people. The point of this forum is a free exchange of ideas. Since there aren't that many folks moving into the area, you get people that no longer live here. In Florida where I currently live there are many people moving into the area that want info about neighborhoods, housing, schools etc. In the absence of those posts here in Buffalo, you get posts from people who have left the area. Would you prefer a dead Buffalo forum with no posts at all?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area