Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2010, 05:11 PM

39 posts, read 107,421 times

Advertisements

I am trying to prepare for a possible move from Houston to Orange County. After reading some of these posts, I am now a even more nervous. I dont want to move and find myself miserable and unable to afford anything. I am an RN and from what I can tell, pay would be approx. 70k give or take. I have about 1k worth of bills monthly not incl. rent or spending money. I get that my rent for a one bedroom will be about $1500/month, gas is a little more, sales tax is about .50% higher there, and then income tax which we dont have here in TX is approx. 9%. What else makes it so expensive there? Are groceries more? Some posters have said that even though they were forewarned how expensive it is, they really couldnt have imagined how expensive until they got there. i dont want any suprises The only thing that seems to be cheaper there is utility bills, I pay 80-150/month for electric and car insurance will go down just a little.

I am really questioning whether I can afford to live in Orange county. Any insight would be very helpful!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2010, 05:38 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taapple View Post
I am trying to prepare for a possible move from Houston to Orange County. After reading some of these posts, I am now a even more nervous. I dont want to move and find myself miserable and unable to afford anything. I am an RN and from what I can tell, pay would be approx. 70k give or take. I have about 1k worth of bills monthly not incl. rent or spending money. I get that my rent for a one bedroom will be about $1500/month, gas is a little more, sales tax is about .50% higher there, and then income tax which we dont have here in TX is approx. 9%. What else makes it so expensive there? Are groceries more? Some posters have said that even though they were forewarned how expensive it is, they really couldnt have imagined how expensive until they got there. i dont want any suprises The only thing that seems to be cheaper there is utility bills, I pay 80-150/month for electric and car insurance will go down just a little.

I am really questioning whether I can afford to live in Orange county. Any insight would be very helpful!!!

Everything is a little bit more. Movies, dining, fast food, gasoline, parking, groceries, . . . You may reduce you utility bills if you suffer through the heat without AC becaause you do nto need much heat in the winter. Car insurance is cheaper. Depening on you, entertainment can be a lot cheaper, or a lot more expensive. You can probably afford it, but you will have to live a bit tighter. On the other hand you will have great weather, beaches, mountains (traffic, long lines, harried people) it is a trade off depends on what you want.

Old 10-23-2010, 06:04 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,248,320 times
It's not that you won't be able to scrape by but you'll be bummed out seeing so many more affluent people than in Houston. Remember, well being is perceived as how you're doing relative to those around you.

Old 10-23-2010, 06:29 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,686,290 times
Everything, with the exception of utilities, is high in Orange County. Maybe someone should start an “Orange County Guide to Frugal Living” thread to offer tips and advice to newcomers. You can make it on 70K, but you will have to watch your pennies.

The upside is that the weather is great, you can be ocean close, and there is a lot to do.

Old 10-23-2010, 06:37 PM

5,113 posts, read 5,971,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific2 View Post
Everything, with the exception of utilities, is high in Orange County. Maybe someone should start an “Orange County Guide to Frugal Living” thread to offer tips and advice to newcomers. You can make it on 70K, but you will have to watch your pennies.

The upside is that the weather is great, you can be ocean close, and there is a lot to do.
That's pretty much sums it up except ... what happened to the good weather this summer

Old 10-23-2010, 06:49 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,686,290 times
That's pretty much sums it up except ... what happened to the good weather this summer

We didn’t budget for the sunshine tax. Mother Nature demands her due.

Old 10-23-2010, 07:20 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,248,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don9 View Post
That happens (bad weather most of the summer) periodically but not terribly often. I doubt you'll see another one soon.

Old 10-23-2010, 07:43 PM

39 posts, read 107,421 times
I agree and think it is doable but probably will have to alter my standard of living. Do any of you think I would fair better in San Diego or even Los Angeles? It seems San Diego is a tad cheaper and Los Angeles or at least where I would want to be (west side beaches) seems to be even more pricey than Orange County. San Diego has proved almost impossible to find a job, a nursing job at that. You know the economy is bad if nurses cant find work. And the general consensus with San Diego seems to be "not a good spot for a single female in mid thirties" Many have said its great for young twenties or families. ??? Im hoping that Orange County is better in that regard?

Old 10-23-2010, 07:50 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,938,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific2 View Post
Everything, with the exception of utilities, is high in Orange County.
Unless you have the honor of receiving electricity from the highest priced provider in the country, SDG&E.

Old 10-23-2010, 08:12 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,610,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taapple View Post
,,,, The only thing that seems to be cheaper there is utility bills, I pay 80-150/month for electric and car insurance will go down just a little.,,,,
I do believe we pay more for both electricity and auto insurance. We buy fuel from Texas for electricity, a sour deal our last governor did before parting.

You will likely find that we have fresher fruit and vegetables. Great sea food as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County