Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2018, 12:55 PM

93,231 posts, read 123,842,121 times

Advertisements

Something else to keep in mind OP, is as a person of color, you may want to be in an environment where there is comfortability. Meaning, given that Cleveland Hill has the highest or one of the highest black percentages for a suburban SD in the area and it is close to UB, while also being solid enough to get a good education. So, it is at least a SD to consider(key word).

Also, as mentioned before, school rankings usually are based upon test scores and in many cases, some districts don't rate as high due to actually offering a range of programs/services such as Special Needs services that higher ranked SD's may not offer. Here is an example from the Syracuse area that illustrates this point: https://www.syracuse.com/schools/ind...cny_schoo.html

Here is a thread from this forum that also illustrates this point and offers some other information that may be of interest to you: //www.city-data.com/forum/buffa...rd-park-2.html

So, that is something to consider in terms of a SD search, as higher rankings doesn't necessarily mean that all children are served appropriately, in this regard.

Here are some services and programs from the local BOCES as well: https://www.e1b.org/Students-of-All-...s-and-Services

Some resources: https://www.e1b.org/Students-of-All-...-Professionals

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 08-27-2018 at 01:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2018, 11:24 PM

80 posts, read 51,199 times
Thank you all for the insight and suggestions.

Old 09-03-2018, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Something else to keep in mind OP, is as a person of color, you may want to be in an environment where there is comfortability. Meaning, given that Cleveland Hill has the highest or one of the highest black percentages for a suburban SD in the area and it is close to UB, while also being solid enough to get a good education. So, it is at least a SD to consider(key word).

Also, as mentioned before, school rankings usually are based upon test scores and in many cases, some districts don't rate as high due to actually offering a range of programs/services such as Special Needs services that higher ranked SD's may not offer. Here is an example from the Syracuse area that illustrates this point: https://www.syracuse.com/schools/ind...cny_schoo.html

Here is a thread from this forum that also illustrates this point and offers some other information that may be of interest to you: //www.city-data.com/forum/buffa...rd-park-2.html

So, that is something to consider in terms of a SD search, as higher rankings doesn't necessarily mean that all children are served appropriately, in this regard.

Here are some services and programs from the local BOCES as well: https://www.e1b.org/Students-of-All-...s-and-Services

Some resources: https://www.e1b.org/Students-of-All-...-Professionals
Thankyou so much.

Old 09-25-2018, 11:09 AM

OP, if you don't mind me asking, what type of program are you going into for your Master's? I'm asking because you may actually have other options in terms of schooling for yourself and for your children in other Upstate areas as well. This isn't to persuade you, but to potential offer other options you may not know that you have.

Old 09-30-2018, 08:00 AM

Social Work masters program. However, if I can't get into UB...I will have to attend Fordham University online and do my required fieldwork in the area.

Old 10-03-2018, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by khazzaly22 View Post
Social Work masters program. However, if I can't get into UB...I will have to attend Fordham University online and do my required fieldwork in the area.
Do you know when you will find out in terms of getting into the program at UB?

Old 10-03-2018, 08:24 PM

The issue for me is coming up with 3 references, whereas Fordham only requires one. If I can't get 3 solid people, I will go with Fordham.

Old 10-04-2018, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by khazzaly22 View Post
The issue for me is coming up with 3 references, whereas Fordham only requires one. If I can't get 3 solid people, I will go with Fordham.
Now, if you ended up at Fordham, would you still make the move?

Old 10-04-2018, 06:54 PM

Yes, Fordham told me I could just do my fieldwork in the area and they will help me find a community center where I can volunteer to get the experience.

Old 10-10-2018, 07:59 AM

2 posts, read 1,414 times
Sweet Home SD has a great special education department and is a very diverse school district. They've helped our son a lot to get the help and resources that he needed to thrive when we first moved here.

Last edited by KodingKat; 10-10-2018 at 08:06 AM.. Reason: Deleted link
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area