Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 11:05 PM

3,226 posts, read 6,637,280 times

Advertisements

My brothers are going to be signing up for high school before I know it, one is in the 6th and another in 7th grade. I'm looking for a school that is in Manhattan or Queens and that is a good school and a lot more ethnically, culturally diverse. They live in a pretty low income/ghetto area of the Bronx and I would hate for them to go to a zone school (Evander Charles in the Bronx) that will pretty much be the same thing they'll see in and out of the school: Ratchet, ghetto behavior.

I want them to go to a school that will provide them with much more cultural and ethnic diversity and many more programs and of course, in an area of Manhattan or Western Queens (they can stay with me after school sometimes if they are in Queens) that can inspire them and expose them more than just their unsafe, uninspiring environment.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2014, 11:54 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,913,245 times
Forest Hills HS in Queens is diverse and decent, but very overcrowded.

Old 01-22-2014, 06:59 AM

1,058 posts, read 1,992,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lital_The_Best View Post
My brothers are going to be signing up for high school before I know it, one is in the 6th and another in 7th grade. I'm looking for a school that is in Manhattan or Queens and that is a good school and a lot more ethnically, culturally diverse. They live in a pretty low income/ghetto area of the Bronx and I would hate for them to go to a zone school (Evander Charles in the Bronx) that will pretty much be the same thing they'll see in and out of the school: Ratchet, ghetto behavior.

I want them to go to a school that will provide them with much more cultural and ethnic diversity and many more programs and of course, in an area of Manhattan or Western Queens (they can stay with me after school sometimes if they are in Queens) that can inspire them and expose them more than just their unsafe, uninspiring environment.

Thanks.
When the time comes have them look at every target- specialized school in the city and take whatever comes. Most would be a step up. But you are a few years away from that decision. Just look at and understand the process starting next year.

Old 01-22-2014, 08:18 AM

2,678 posts, read 2,097,944 times
The best thing to do now is make sure they keep their grades up, do well on standardized tests and have good attendance. Those things really matter to the schools that screen for students. You can try to get a copy of the High School directory book to help narrow down the options. In the meantime there's a lot of information on the city web site.

High School Resources - Resources - New York City Department of Education

Old 01-22-2014, 08:29 AM

5,206 posts, read 4,668,615 times
If it's a good high school, does it matter if it's racially diverse? I know some specialized science high schools have been criticized to be not racially diverse but isn't the fact that certain groups stay away from them part of the problem? Why look for racial diversity, be part of it.

Old 01-22-2014, 04:39 PM

5,518 posts, read 8,765,046 times
First off, its great that you're trying to look out for your brothers education. We don't see enough of that in the city and I salute you for it. I think you're spot on in wanting some racial/ethnic variety for a couple of kids from the hood. Isolation from the mainstream can be crippling for many young people who never get to see close up what the rest of the world is doing and how it gets to do it. A good education in a diverse setting can be a huge help IMO.

As has been said, the 7th grade test scores and grades are what the better high schools look at, so keeping those grades as high as possible is really important. Can't stress that enough. You will have many more options, even outside the specialized high schools, if you can pull an 80-90 average in all major subjects and 3s and 4s on the state tests. Tell you brothers -- especially the one now in 7th grade -- to take school and grades REAL seriously this year. And more selective schools also really look at attnedance and latness. They figure that if you can't bother showing up on time they just don't want you.

As to some good schools with reasonably diverse student bodies:

I've heard good things about the new Frank McCourt School on 84th St (the old Brandeis HS building). Its graduating class is this spring so I guess we'll know more then. But friends who have kids there say it's very diverse and also very good. I don't know what the entry requirements are so you'll have to look them up.

Beacon HS on W 61st has a great reputation, though it is very tough getting in there, and requires a portfolio and an interview in addition to strong grades and test scores.

Columbia Secondary School (same deal with high grades and test scores) is in Morningside Heights and might also fit the bill. I think this is also its first year of graduates.

Manhattan Hunter Science High School which is near Lincoln Center is a bit easier to get into than the other ones and has a good rep for getting kids into college.

Talent Unlimited, over in the East 60s, is a possibility too if these boys are musical or like acting, singing or dancing. It's an audition school like Laguardia, but not as hard to get into, though you'd probably still need at least an 80 average.

Good luck!

Last edited by citylove101; 01-22-2014 at 04:50 PM..

Old 01-22-2014, 07:00 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,127,203 times
For what it's worth, have they considered taking the Specialized High School Admissions Test (SHSAT)? They could get into schools like Stuyvesant, Bronx Sci, etc. The test is free, so they have nothing to lose.

Old 01-22-2014, 08:25 PM

211 posts, read 519,234 times
Eleanor Roosevelt High School and Millenium High School are two very good picks, I don't see what difference there would be if the school is racially diverse or not though.

Old 01-22-2014, 09:10 PM

5,518 posts, read 8,765,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountainbluebear View Post
Eleanor Roosevelt High School and Millenium High School are two very good picks, I don't see what difference there would be if the school is racially diverse or not though.
Millennium gives preference to kids living in downtown Manhattan and ELRO gives preference to kids in District 2 in Manhattan, so Bronx kids rarely get in. All the schools I mentioned accept kids citywide, as do the specialized high schools, of course.

I don't see what's so hard to get about preferring an ethnically diverse school, especially if your world is already small (metaphorically speaking) poor, dangerous, unambitious, and alienated from the mainstream. For such kids, going to school with kids who aren't like that and who span the range of ethnicity can be transformative.

Also forgot to mention Bard Early College HS down on the Lower East Side. It is also very diverse and very academic. It gives it's own test, requires high grades and an interview, and kids finish all High school requirements in two years. They spend the last two years getting an associates degree. That way they can sometimes finish college in two years. It is only for very, very motivated and smart kids.

Last edited by citylove101; 01-22-2014 at 09:26 PM..

Old 01-23-2014, 07:52 AM

3,226 posts, read 6,637,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
Forest Hills HS in Queens is diverse and decent, but very overcrowded.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bilmin View Post
When the time comes have them look at every target- specialized school in the city and take whatever comes. Most would be a step up. But you are a few years away from that decision. Just look at and understand the process starting next year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vall View Post
The best thing to do now is make sure they keep their grades up, do well on standardized tests and have good attendance. Those things really matter to the schools that screen for students. You can try to get a copy of the High School directory book to help narrow down the options. In the meantime there's a lot of information on the city web site.

High School Resources - Resources - New York City Department of Education
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
First off, its great that you're trying to look out for your brothers education. We don't see enough of that in the city and I salute you for it. I think you're spot on in wanting some racial/ethnic variety for a couple of kids from the hood. Isolation from the mainstream can be crippling for many young people who never get to see close up what the rest of the world is doing and how it gets to do it. A good education in a diverse setting can be a huge help IMO.

As has been said, the 7th grade test scores and grades are what the better high schools look at, so keeping those grades as high as possible is really important. Can't stress that enough. You will have many more options, even outside the specialized high schools, if you can pull an 80-90 average in all major subjects and 3s and 4s on the state tests. Tell you brothers -- especially the one now in 7th grade -- to take school and grades REAL seriously this year. And more selective schools also really look at attnedance and latness. They figure that if you can't bother showing up on time they just don't want you.

As to some good schools with reasonably diverse student bodies:

I've heard good things about the new Frank McCourt School on 84th St (the old Brandeis HS building). Its graduating class is this spring so I guess we'll know more then. But friends who have kids there say it's very diverse and also very good. I don't know what the entry requirements are so you'll have to look them up.

Beacon HS on W 61st has a great reputation, though it is very tough getting in there, and requires a portfolio and an interview in addition to strong grades and test scores.

Columbia Secondary School (same deal with high grades and test scores) is in Morningside Heights and might also fit the bill. I think this is also its first year of graduates.

Manhattan Hunter Science High School which is near Lincoln Center is a bit easier to get into than the other ones and has a good rep for getting kids into college.

Talent Unlimited, over in the East 60s, is a possibility too if these boys are musical or like acting, singing or dancing. It's an audition school like Laguardia, but not as hard to get into, though you'd probably still need at least an 80 average.

Good luck!
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
Millennium gives preference to kids living in downtown Manhattan and ELRO gives preference to kids in District 2 in Manhattan, so Bronx kids rarely get in. All the schools I mentioned accept kids citywide, as do the specialized high schools, of course.

I don't see what's so hard to get about preferring an ethnically diverse school, especially if your world is already small (metaphorically speaking) poor, dangerous, unambitious, and alienated from the mainstream. For such kids, going to school with kids who aren't like that and who span the range of ethnicity can be transformative.

Also forgot to mention Bard Early College HS down on the Lower East Side. It is also very diverse and very academic. It gives it's own test, requires high grades and an interview, and kids finish all High school requirements in two years. They spend the last two years getting an associates degree. That way they can sometimes finish college in two years. It is only for very, very motivated and smart kids.

WOW! I'm very appreciative of the responses and thanks for the support and information for those of you that have. It really means a lot for me since I'm going to fight tooth and nail with my mom to make sure over my dead body they get into a good high school. I'm not going to allow their parents to let them strive for terrible Evander Childs school in the Bronx. Again, thanks so much everyone and BELIEVE ME, I'm taking every single information given to me and utilize it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City