Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2019, 03:08 PM

3,573 posts, read 3,072,493 times

Advertisements

Teenagers have been fighting ever since teenagers existed. It is hardly a "gang fight" as much as a fight between two girls amongst a group of others. It's not the degradation of society, this has happened every generation in every culture from time immemorial.

People have such short memories of youth, unless you grew up in some helicopter-parent gilded-cage or were just some kind of asocial shut-in.

I have my own stories from the 60s and 70s that would make your hair curl. I had uncles who had their own stories from the 30s, 40s, and 50s.

Get over it folks. Yeah its disruptive, but it really doesn't affect you. Just idiot teens letting off steam. Worry about how your own kids are acting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2019, 05:54 PM

304 posts, read 217,837 times
Funny the Galleria Mall never had gang problems or wide spread fights the first 20 years it opened The problem started when the buses were aloud to the mall and when Cheektowagas population is changing. wealth is leaving Cheektowaga and being replaced with welfare people, refugees and drug dealers, now its just a extension of the East side

Old 03-07-2019, 07:00 AM

93,231 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSci View Post
Teenagers have been fighting ever since teenagers existed. It is hardly a "gang fight" as much as a fight between two girls amongst a group of others. It's not the degradation of society, this has happened every generation in every culture from time immemorial.

People have such short memories of youth, unless you grew up in some helicopter-parent gilded-cage or were just some kind of asocial shut-in.

I have my own stories from the 60s and 70s that would make your hair curl. I had uncles who had their own stories from the 30s, 40s, and 50s.

Get over it folks. Yeah its disruptive, but it really doesn't affect you. Just idiot teens letting off steam. Worry about how your own kids are acting.
Basically...This isn't anything new and Buffalo isn't exclusive in this regard.

Also, I'm curious about the claims about Cheektowaga completely true given information like this: Cleveland Hill Union Free School District Historical Median Household Income by Races Data - USA.comâ„¢
Cleveland Hill Union Free School District Historical Poverty Level Data - USA.comâ„¢
Cleveland Hill Union Free School District Historical Race Data - USA.comâ„¢

Cheektowaga Central School District Historical Median Household Income by Races Data - USA.comâ„¢
Cheektowaga Central School District Historical Poverty Level Data - USA.comâ„¢
Cheektowaga Central School District Historical Race Data - USA.comâ„¢

According to American Fact Finder 2013-2017 information, the town of Cheektowaga's poverty rate is 10.7%, which is lower than the state and national figures(MHHI is $50,868). It is a town that was always a little more blue collar in parts, regardless of the make up of the people.

Also, in terms of the buses, look up Cynthia Nicole Wiggins.

Old 03-07-2019, 07:46 AM

6,406 posts, read 4,901,771 times
I am not sure about what the statistics say, but Cheektowaga is a suburb in transition. For example; my friend inherited a house in Cheektowaga off of George Urban Blvd near Union Road. It was in a former Polish middle class neighborhood with immaculately kept brick houses. The neighborhood has been "changing" and he wound up giving away the house for a fraction of its value after trying to sell it for almost a year. It was a really nice house, well kept and modernized. I think the statistics are skewed by some really nice areas away from the city line growing and others near the city line declining. I lived not far from there for many years and I could observe the changes first-hand. I believe that you can observe this in what they call the "inner ring suburbs". The following article is very informative and helps explain how Buffalo can revitalize the inner city. I think many suburbanites wish the city and all its problems would just "go away" but that is foolish thinking. Until the inner city and the poverty are addressed you will continue to see problems like gang fights in the Galleria and other issues. Its a regional issue and should be treated as such.

https://risecollaborative.com/rise/n...ffalo-suburbs/

Old 03-07-2019, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
I am not sure about what the statistics say, but Cheektowaga is a suburb in transition. For example; my friend inherited a house in Cheektowaga off of George Urban Blvd near Union Road. It was in a former Polish middle class neighborhood with immaculately kept brick houses. The neighborhood has been "changing" and he wound up giving away the house for a fraction of its value after trying to sell it for almost a year. It was a really nice house, well kept and modernized. I think the statistics are skewed by some really nice areas away from the city line growing and others near the city line declining. I lived not far from there for many years and I could observe the changes first-hand. I believe that you can observe this in what they call the "inner ring suburbs". The following article is very informative and helps explain how Buffalo can revitalize the inner city. I think many suburbanites wish the city and all its problems would just "go away" but that is foolish thinking. Until the inner city and the poverty are addressed you will continue to see problems like gang fights in the Galleria and other issues. Its a regional issue and should be treated as such.

https://risecollaborative.com/rise/n...ffalo-suburbs/
Actually, I dare say that it is a national issue and again, not exclusive to Buffalo. It is just that with cities in the Northeast and Midwest, the city limits are smaller and a suburb like Cheektowaga would just be an outer city area in many parts of the South and West.

It is a suburb in transition, like many first ring suburbs across the country in terms of demographics, but I think we also have to be careful about what is actually in transition. I say that given some of the information like the black median household income in the Cleveland Hill SD actually being higher than the white median household income in recent years and it is likely the suburban SD in Upstate NY with the highest black percentage at about 21% of that district's population. What happens is that the homes in many first ring suburbs are smaller and in turn, many move further out for a bigger home and more room than what many of the first ring suburbs offer.

With Portland, the urban growth boundary just limits the sprawl, but Portland's city land area is 105 square miles bigger than Buffalo's 40 square miles and if we are going to be totally honest, the demographics culturally of both cities are just different. What is interesting though is that Northeast Portland, which is where that city's black community has been historically concentrated has had to deal with gentrification, which had pushed many in that community further east/SE into suburban areas like the city's Powellhurst area and Gresham. So, that is a dynamic that still occurs in that city, but gets masked through its bigger city land area and just smaller black population. Let alone just the differences between the cities/areas culturally. https://s4.ad.brown.edu/projects/div...cityid=4159000

https://s4.ad.brown.edu/projects/div...cityid=3611000
https://s4.ad.brown.edu/projects/div...cityid=3615000 (not for the whole town, but most of it)

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 03-07-2019 at 09:25 AM..

Old 03-07-2019, 09:34 AM

Just think if 50 years ago Buffalo enacted an urban sprawl initiative. Buffalo had some of the most beautiful housing which the city has been systematically tearing down for the last 50 years. If the inner city had been energized with investment and the housing saved, Buffalo today would be a showplace and a mecca for historic architecture. Now we get NYS subsidized conversion of old buildings into rental apartments, which enrich the developers and do nothing for home ownership for the city's poor.

Old 03-07-2019, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
Just think if 50 years ago Buffalo enacted an urban sprawl initiative. Buffalo had some of the most beautiful housing which the city has been systematically tearing down for the last 50 years. If the inner city had been energized with investment and the housing saved, Buffalo today would be a showplace and a mecca for historic architecture. Now we get NYS subsidized conversion of old buildings into rental apartments, which enrich the developers and do nothing for home ownership for the city's poor.
I actually don't disagree with you at all. Unfortunately, I think there were other factors at play that caused some of this and I dare say, the urban growth boundary could have exacerbated some of them or let's just say, people would have no choice but to live together cordially. That latter part is the thing we have to ask ourselves if we could actually do that or at least make a sincere effort to do so. Parkside was a part of the city that actually was open to do so and ironically, it is still a very nice and desirable part of the city. So, I think it is possible.

A nice history about the formation of the Parkside Community Association about what I am referring to: http://parksidebuffalo.org/images/do...__dec_2013.pdf

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 03-07-2019 at 09:55 AM..

Old 03-07-2019, 11:23 AM

Its sad that so many of those beautiful houses were replaced by empty lots or vinyl covered generic boxes. My friend inherited a nice house on LeRoy and he didn't want it because of the neighborhood. It would have been better IMHO to make people live together instead of fleeing to the white suburbs. I remember the Broadway Market 40 years ago and while still nice, a shadow of what it was. I had a gf that was from that area and knew all the Polish restaurants and bakeries. We went to one that was owned by a famous Polish radio star in Poland and she had the best soup I have ever eaten, there was a sign on the door that said "No Perogies".

Old 03-07-2019, 11:34 AM

304 posts, read 217,837 times
Cheektowaga already lost over 1/3 of its population its down to below 70,000 from 105,000 thats a 35,000+ lost of people

Old 03-07-2019, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niagarapurple View Post
Cheektowaga already lost over 1/3 of its population its down to below 70,000 from 105,000 thats a 35,000+ lost of people
Not according to the US Census. According to american FactFinder's 2017 figure, the town's population is at 87,484. A loss, but not under 70,000.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area