Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2019, 05:22 PM

3 posts, read 5,339 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

On a whim, I applied for a creative marketing job in Hamburg a few weeks ago. The language of the ad attracted me and I was sending out applications all over the country.

I'm now preparing for an interview for said job, and I have to say...my interest is definitely piqued. I'm presently living on the Central Coast of California, and although there is so much I love about this area, it is very, very difficult to get ahead as a young professional. I'm sure I don't have to tell you guys that the cost of living is just untenable, especially compared to wages (even for skilled professions like mine).

Some background: I'm a 33 year-old woman, single, in the middle of my career. I enjoy outdoorsy activities, and my favorite thing about California is the year-round temperate climate as well as the relative proximity to the west's great parks.

I come from a family of New Yorkers, albeit Long Islanders, and I grew up on the east coast. I didn't move to California until 2012. I mention this because I'd like to think I still have very east coast "sensibilities." I'm pretty down-to-earth, with a dry sense of humor that doesn't always land well with Californians.

I also love to travel internationally, and metro Buffalo's proximity to Toronto (both the city and its airport) appeals to me. I'm currently about 3 hours from Los Angeles, which is where I usually fly in and out of. I don't need to have major nightlife and culture in my backyard to be happy, but having the option nearby is nice.

I'm really looking for somewhere to call home long-term...a place where I can put down roots on my own. Renting anything more than a studio apartment here is tough without 2 incomes, nevermind home ownership...that's a complete pipe dream.

Do you think someone like me would find Southtowns life satisfying? If you know of a California transplant who is doing well, even better! Thanks so much for your honest input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2019, 06:13 PM

5,709 posts, read 4,100,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IveBeenEverywhere View Post
Hi there,

On a whim, I applied for a creative marketing job in Hamburg a few weeks ago. The language of the ad attracted me and I was sending out applications all over the country.

I'm now preparing for an interview for said job, and I have to say...my interest is definitely piqued. I'm presently living on the Central Coast of California, and although there is so much I love about this area, it is very, very difficult to get ahead as a young professional. I'm sure I don't have to tell you guys that the cost of living is just untenable, especially compared to wages (even for skilled professions like mine).

Some background: I'm a 33 year-old woman, single, in the middle of my career. I enjoy outdoorsy activities, and my favorite thing about California is the year-round temperate climate as well as the relative proximity to the west's great parks.

I come from a family of New Yorkers, albeit Long Islanders, and I grew up on the east coast. I didn't move to California until 2012. I mention this because I'd like to think I still have very east coast "sensibilities." I'm pretty down-to-earth, with a dry sense of humor that doesn't always land well with Californians.

I also love to travel internationally, and metro Buffalo's proximity to Toronto (both the city and its airport) appeals to me. I'm currently about 3 hours from Los Angeles, which is where I usually fly in and out of. I don't need to have major nightlife and culture in my backyard to be happy, but having the option nearby is nice.

I'm really looking for somewhere to call home long-term...a place where I can put down roots on my own. Renting anything more than a studio apartment here is tough without 2 incomes, nevermind home ownership...that's a complete pipe dream.

Do you think someone like me would find Southtowns life satisfying? If you know of a California transplant who is doing well, even better! Thanks so much for your honest input.

I don't know if you'll like it in Buffalo or not, especially with your comment about temperate weather. It snowed this weekend. As far as getting the job, I'd say luck is on your side. There have been a number of articles in the Buffalo News stating how businesses are having a hard time attracting qualified employees.

Old 04-29-2019, 07:17 PM

6,429 posts, read 4,920,252 times
I doubt you will like moving from from Sunny California to cold cloudy Buffalo. Toronto's airport can be a nightmare especially in the winter when flight cancellations are very frequent. Its about a 2.3 - 3 hour drive depending on omnipresent traffic and weather. Good luck

Old 04-29-2019, 07:29 PM

2,481 posts, read 1,553,824 times
I live in the Capital District area, near Albany. The thing about Buffalo is the long, snowy winter. They get hammered in snow. Also not known for a ski area. Just snow. Did I mention it is snowy there? And cold.

Old 04-29-2019, 08:30 PM

717 posts, read 1,058,731 times
Cost aside, the central coast of California is arguably one of the most beautiful and livable places on this continent. Western NY is...not. It's the polar opposite of the central coast, and I can't imagine making that move and not winding up very, very depressed. I can understand needing to move due to COL, but there have to be happier mediums. Colorado, Idaho, Virginia, Texas, the Carolinas, New England. Literally anywhere else.

Old 04-29-2019, 09:51 PM

93,404 posts, read 124,052,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcfas View Post
I live in the Capital District area, near Albany. The thing about Buffalo is the long, snowy winter. They get hammered in snow. Also not known for a ski area. Just snow. Did I mention it is snowy there? And cold.
There are actually skiing options south of Buffalo including Holiday Valley in the Ellicottville area. Much of the snow didn’t even accumulate this weekend and to be honest, it is rare this time of year.

OP, what part of the Central Coast are you living in?

Something to potentially consider in regards to snow in the area is that the further north, the lower the average snowfall. So, that might be something to think about, if you did move to the area and snow is an issue.

Also, keep in mind that there are actually other seasons in the area besides winter. I’m sure you knew that, but you wouldn’t think so from these posts.

Worst comes to worst, you come to the area and get established in ways you might not where you currently are. Then, you can make whatever other move you may want to make. With that said, come to the area for yourself in order to make that ultimate decision.

Is there anything else you are looking for in a neighborhood/community?

Oh, in terms of parks, this is a good place to start in terms of what the area offers: https://parks.ny.gov/regions/niagara/default.aspx
More here: https://parks.ny.gov/regions/
Parks and Areas | Erie County Parks, Recreation and Forestry

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 04-29-2019 at 10:10 PM..

Old 04-30-2019, 07:37 AM

5,709 posts, read 4,100,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
There are actually skiing options south of Buffalo including Holiday Valley in the Ellicottville area. Much of the snow didn’t even accumulate this weekend and to be honest, it is rare this time of year.

OP, what part of the Central Coast are you living in?

Something to potentially consider in regards to snow in the area is that the further north, the lower the average snowfall. So, that might be something to think about, if you did move to the area and snow is an issue.

Also, keep in mind that there are actually other seasons in the area besides winter. I’m sure you knew that, but you wouldn’t think so from these posts.

Worst comes to worst, you come to the area and get established in ways you might not where you currently are. Then, you can make whatever other move you may want to make. With that said, come to the area for yourself in order to make that ultimate decision.

Is there anything else you are looking for in a neighborhood/community?

Oh, in terms of parks, this is a good place to start in terms of what the area offers: https://parks.ny.gov/regions/niagara/default.aspx
More here: https://parks.ny.gov/regions/
Parks and Areas | Erie County Parks, Recreation and Forestry

Sorry, but snow this time of year is not rare at all. Of course it melts right away, and everyone complains because they want summer so badly. The forecast BTW for last weekend was 6-8 inches. There have been days in the 60's. Fact is, once it's officially spring the weather is all over the thermometer. 60 one day, and 40 the next. Once summer is here, it is quite nice, and fall is nice. Regarding Holiday Valley, It's very nice and a nice town, but it's really a hill, not a mountain. The vertical drop is kind of low. There are a couple more skiing opportunities farther to the east.

I think that the other post's were correct, not negatively intended. The OP stated that she liked warm weather.

Old 04-30-2019, 08:55 AM

93,404 posts, read 124,052,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
Sorry, but snow this time of year is not rare at all. Of course it melts right away, and everyone complains because they want summer so badly. The forecast BTW for last weekend was 6-8 inches. There have been days in the 60's. Fact is, once it's officially spring the weather is all over the thermometer. 60 one day, and 40 the next. Once summer is here, it is quite nice, and fall is nice. Regarding Holiday Valley, It's very nice and a nice town, but it's really a hill, not a mountain. The vertical drop is kind of low. There are a couple more skiing opportunities farther to the east.

I think that the other post's were correct, not negatively intended. The OP stated that she liked warm weather.
Snowfall is rare even in April. You may get some, but if you do, it isn't much, it melts as you stated and may occur a few times over a span of a decade or two. Around here, you get the "I remember the time there were snowflakes on Mother's Day". Yeah, like 25 years ago.

To be honest, if the OP wants legitimate mountains, the (eastern) Adirondacks are still within 3-4 hours(i.e.-McCauley Mountain around Old Forge). If they don't mind ski "areas", then those are a dime a dozen throughout Upstate NY.

Old 04-30-2019, 04:06 PM

37,156 posts, read 39,430,503 times
What’s the salary offered for this job and how does it differ from your current salary?

Buffalo has a pretty low cost of living and has much better cultural institutions as a legacy of its former prominence than most cities of its size.

Can’t help you with temperate climates though—essentially you’ll need to learn how to dress for the cold during winter. There’s also a fair bit of interesting greenery through the rest of NYS as you’ve got hills, mountains, great lakes, and finger lakes.

Old 04-30-2019, 05:26 PM
JH6

1,435 posts, read 3,219,188 times
Hamburg is a nice place to live, but it is in the snow belt of the Buffalo area.

I actually like cruising around Hamburg during the summer and walking the county fair.

I remember digging my wife's car out of the dorm parking lot at Hilbert College regularly, I do not miss that AT ALL.

Coming from almost anywhere in California, you may find the area boring, we did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area