Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2020, 08:26 AM

6,410 posts, read 4,908,175 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Really? That's how we are approaching this...Cities across NY have always gotten their share of immigrants and later refugees since they have been around.

Also, 10,000 isn't much over 1% of Erie County's population. Given that the loss percentage for Niagara County is over twice that, it doesn't look like that would be true.
https://www.bizjournals.com/buffalo/...ly-things.html

http://www2.erie.gov/health/sites/ww...s/pdfs/cha.pdf

from above:

"Upon deeper examination of the demographics of the County, there are significant differences in the racial
composition of the City of Buffalo as compared to the rest of Erie County. The City of Buffalo is characterized
by a much higher percentage of African Americans (38.6%) and Hispanics (10.5%) than the county as a whole.
The west side of Buffalo is home to a large immigrant and refugee population where there are 33 ethnicities
and more than 70 languages and dialects spoken. Just south of Buffalo Lackawanna, New York, is home to a
large Arab American community, many of whom do not speak English. According to the 2015 American
Community Survey, 10.1% of Erie County residents speak a language other than English in their homes."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2020, 08:36 AM

3,575 posts, read 3,075,384 times
Immigrants are people, too. Why is this artificial line being drawn? Do only "white people matter?" The fastest growing cities also have immigrants and foreign speakers, usually at higher levels than Buffalo. 38% of Texans speak a foreign language at home, 27% of Floridians, and 30% or Arizona school kids.

And last I heard most Spanish speakers in Buffalo are American citizens, which is the bulk of the non-English speakers.

Old 10-27-2020, 08:46 AM

5,688 posts, read 4,090,496 times
Quote:
Really? That's how we are approaching this...Cities across NY have always gotten their share of immigrants and later refugees since they have been around. Interesting info about the Refugee act of 1980: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Refuge...ern%20to%20the

Also, 10,000 isn't much over 1% of Erie County's population. Given that the loss percentage for Niagara County is over twice that, it doesn't look like that would be true.

Looking at numbers, 10,000 is way over Niagara loss. Yes, you can play with the numbers, but total # is how population is counted.
The reason I posted this, as it has been discussed before, these people didn't search out Buffalo for economic opportunities, and shouldn't be considered as rah, rah, things are booming. They don't really ad economically to the region.

Old 10-27-2020, 09:03 AM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
https://www.bizjournals.com/buffalo/...ly-things.html

http://www2.erie.gov/health/sites/ww...s/pdfs/cha.pdf

from above:

"Upon deeper examination of the demographics of the County, there are significant differences in the racial
composition of the City of Buffalo as compared to the rest of Erie County. The City of Buffalo is characterized
by a much higher percentage of African Americans (38.6%) and Hispanics (10.5%) than the county as a whole.
The west side of Buffalo is home to a large immigrant and refugee population where there are 33 ethnicities
and more than 70 languages and dialects spoken. Just south of Buffalo Lackawanna, New York, is home to a
large Arab American community, many of whom do not speak English. According to the 2015 American
Community Survey, 10.1% of Erie County residents speak a language other than English in their homes."
Your point and in relation to the thread topic is...?

Old 10-27-2020, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
Looking at numbers, 10,000 is way over Niagara loss. Yes, you can play with the numbers, but total # is how population is counted.
The reason I posted this, as it has been discussed before, these people didn't search out Buffalo for economic opportunities, and shouldn't be considered as rah, rah, things are booming. They don't really ad economically to the region.
No...10,000 of a county with about 918-920,000 people is barely over 1%. Niagara County according to estimates has lost over 3% of its population since 2010: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Niagar...k#Demographics

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erie_C...k#Demographics

Come on man...

Old 10-27-2020, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSci View Post
Immigrants are people, too. Why is this artificial line being drawn? Do only "white people matter?" The fastest growing cities also have immigrants and foreign speakers, usually at higher levels than Buffalo. 38% of Texans speak a foreign language at home, 27% of Floridians, and 30% or Arizona school kids.

And last I heard most Spanish speakers in Buffalo are American citizens, which is the bulk of the non-English speakers.
Exactly and it is like some people overlook this on purpose. It is as if some people have forgotten that they are literally 2-4 generations away from immigration themselves.

Old 10-27-2020, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSci View Post

Most Spanish speakers in Buffalo/WNY are Puerto Ricans and have been US Citizens since 1917. In my extensive experience with the Latin Community, most are Catholic, hard working and very family oriented. Texas, Florida and Arizona have large Spanish speaking populations. Texas and Arizona were part of Mexico at one time so I wouldn't classify them as immigrants per se since their ancestors have been in that area for hundreds of years. Don't forget California where 38 percent of the people speak Spanish. We have a measly 20 percent of the people here in Florida that speak Spanish. Florida was settled by the Spanish over 400 years ago.

What differentiates Buffalo/WNY from other areas is the make-up of the Immigrants:

https://ppgbuffalo.org/files/documen...rief_final.pdf

Buffalo received a lot of Puerto Ricans after the hurricane which inflated the statistics. They are US Citizens and there is a large Puerto Rican community already in place.

Old 10-27-2020, 10:32 AM

Do you honestly think immigrants actually WANT to come to Buffalo/Erie County? Almost all come from temperate climates and Buffalo is more arctic than temperate. It is cold from mid/late October to mid/late May, that is 6 months of cold weather. Most Immigrants don't have a selection of places to go and wind up in less desirable, population losing places like WNY. How do I l know this, from first hand experience with many immigrant families.

Old 10-27-2020, 12:49 PM

5,688 posts, read 4,090,496 times
Quote:
Exactly and it is like some people overlook this on purpose. It is as if some people have forgotten that they are literally 2-4 generations away from immigration themselves.

I see where you're going. I'm always open to diversity and immigration. I've been hearing forever what is added to the economy. Just looking for a glimpse of that.

Old 10-27-2020, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
I see where you're going. I'm always open to diversity and immigration. I've been hearing forever what is added to the economy. Just looking for a glimpse of that.
Just like other groups, it can take time, but even now, many work jobs that others may not want to do or start businesses for their and the greater community(restaurants, markets, etc.).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area