Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2019, 11:02 AM

5,686 posts, read 4,086,058 times

Advertisements

I not to flattering article from a "friendly" publication regarding Musk and Solar City.

A few of many quotable quotes:
Only 329 current jobs there.
"$750 million for jobs that pay $2/ per hour more than Aldis"

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2019...save-solarcity

Old 11-19-2019, 11:57 AM

3,573 posts, read 3,072,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
I not to flattering article from a "friendly" publication regarding Musk and Solar City.

But wait there's more:
  • How many construction jobs were created during the building of the plant?
  • How much money was spent by the construction workers on materials, supplies, and other businesses in town during plant construction and development?
  • How many Panasonic employees, as a sub-contractor to Tesla, are currently employed at the plant?
  • How much production originates at the plant, and how much does that contribute to the GMP of the Buffalo area?
  • How many additional jobs were created in the material supply/shipping/logistics associated with the delivery of materials and final products?
  • What is the value of the brownfield mitigation that was performed, in both dollars spent and recovery of contaminated areas, and encapsulation of soils in the prevention of future contamination?

I think that all of these questions are valid measurements of what the contribution of building the Tesla plant has had, and is having, in the community. Some of these may have only had a temporary impact (like construction), but that also dumped a lot of wages into the local economy that wouldn't have been distributed otherwise.

While there is still a long way to go, the cumulative positive changes in the areas surrounding the Buffalo River and former Republic Steel brownfield is nothing short of miraculous compared to even just 5 years ago. I can't help but think that the massive investment in the Riverbend development played a huge role in driving the additional area investments.

Don't forget that Tesla still says it will keep its promise to meet the employment targets in 2020 that it has given the state. Tesla and Musk promise a lot of things, I know, but they also deliver a lot of what they promise. I don't drive by the plant very often, but when I drove by a couple of weeks ago it looked as if their parking lots were full, but I can't really be sure as I was driving by quickly - I did see some cars parked on the grass and not in the lots - maybe it was shift change, or maybe some other activity I don't know - but there are around 800 parking slots in front of the building. If they really were full, then thats a big indicator of activity.

I may take a drive by later today to see if that was a fluke or not.

Old 11-19-2019, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSci View Post
But wait there's more:
  • How many construction jobs were created during the building of the plant?
  • How much money was spent by the construction workers on materials, supplies, and other businesses in town during plant construction and development?
  • How many Panasonic employees, as a sub-contractor to Tesla, are currently employed at the plant?
  • How much production originates at the plant, and how much does that contribute to the GMP of the Buffalo area?
  • How many additional jobs were created in the material supply/shipping/logistics associated with the delivery of materials and final products?
  • What is the value of the brownfield mitigation that was performed, in both dollars spent and recovery of contaminated areas, and encapsulation of soils in the prevention of future contamination?
I think that all of these questions are valid measurements of what the contribution of building the Tesla plant has had, and is having, in the community. Some of these may have only had a temporary impact (like construction), but that also dumped a lot of wages into the local economy that wouldn't have been distributed otherwise.

While there is still a long way to go, the cumulative positive changes in the areas surrounding the Buffalo River and former Republic Steel brownfield is nothing short of miraculous compared to even just 5 years ago. I can't help but think that the massive investment in the Riverbend development played a huge role in driving the additional area investments.

Don't forget that Tesla still says it will keep its promise to meet the employment targets in 2020 that it has given the state. Tesla and Musk promise a lot of things, I know, but they also deliver a lot of what they promise. I don't drive by the plant very often, but when I drove by a couple of weeks ago it looked as if their parking lots were full, but I can't really be sure as I was driving by quickly - I did see some cars parked on the grass and not in the lots - maybe it was shift change, or maybe some other activity I don't know - but there are around 800 parking slots in front of the building. If they really were full, then thats a big indicator of activity.

I may take a drive by later today to see if that was a fluke or not.

Hey, I'm just posting what others are saying. I just ran across this article at my doctor's office this morning.

Since you posted the questions, do you have the answers handy?

Old 11-19-2019, 12:12 PM

6,407 posts, read 4,901,771 times
Quote:

Great article

Old 11-19-2019, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Hey, I'm just posting what others are saying. I just ran across this article at my doctor's office this morning.

Since you posted the questions, do you have the answers handy?
Only thing I know is that Panasonic had about another 400 working there as of a few months ago.

I also didn't read the article, so I don't know if they described any of the other impacts that I listed. If they did not, then it is not a complete article.

FYI I also drove by today and it looked as if 6 of the 8 lots are about full of cars, I couldn't tell about the 2 lots on the end. I also don't know how many shifts are working, or what the shift rotation is. Panasonic has a listing for an "Overnight Shift Supervisor" position, so I assume at least they have more than one shift.

Old 11-20-2019, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSci View Post
Only thing I know is that Panasonic had about another 400 working there as of a few months ago.

I also didn't read the article, so I don't know if they described any of the other impacts that I listed. If they did not, then it is not a complete article.

FYI I also drove by today and it looked as if 6 of the 8 lots are about full of cars, I couldn't tell about the 2 lots on the end. I also don't know how many shifts are working, or what the shift rotation is. Panasonic has a listing for an "Overnight Shift Supervisor" position, so I assume at least they have more than one shift.

From what I've read, it doesn't sound like there's much "manufacturing" going on there. They are simply assembling premade parts, and then shipping them out. I don't see very many spin off, or supply chain jobs with that formula, and low skilled jobs inside the factory

Old 11-20-2019, 01:33 PM

93,234 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Roswell Park receives $22M in new research funding, grants: https://www.bizjournals.com/buffalo/...h-funding.html

Old 11-20-2019, 03:32 PM

6,407 posts, read 4,901,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Roswell Park receives $22M in new research funding, grants: https://www.bizjournals.com/buffalo/...h-funding.html
CK, What is your opinion of the Tesla factory?

Old 11-20-2019, 04:34 PM

Moog awarded $400 million contract for joint strike fighter
https://buffalonews.com/2019/11/20/m...trike-fighter/
Quote:
The contract was awarded by Lockheed Martin, which builds the F-35 Lightning II fifth-generation jet. The new work continues the long-standing connection between the Elma-based motion control equipment maker and the joint strike fighter.

Moog's work for the joint strike fighter program was one of the reasons the company added a larger assembly and test area at its Elma campus. Moog has about 3,400 employees in the region, making it one of the area's largest private-sector employers.
Ford giving Woodlawn stamping plant a $60 million vote of confidence
https://buffalonews.com/2019/11/20/f...oodlawn-plant/
Quote:
Ford Motor Co. will invest $60 million in its Woodlawn stamping plant, according to a United Auto Workers summary of a newly ratified contract.

"The company agreed that (the Buffalo stamping plant) is an important part of the business and will support Oakville [Ont.] and Ohio assembly plants during the 2019 agreement," the summary said. "The union and company will partner together to explore further opportunities for the Buffalo stamping plant."
Chinese drug company helps fuel promising Roswell Park brain cancer treatment
https://buffalonews.com/2019/11/20/c...cer-treatment/
Quote:
Two doctors at work on a brain cancer immunotherapy drug designed at Roswell Park Comprehensive Cancer Center reached another milestone Wednesday in announcing that SurVaxM will head into a larger clinical treatment trial with more financial muscle.

Fosun Pharma agreed to pay $10 million upfront so MimiVax can conduct phase II clinical trials to further gauge the effectiveness of the immunotherapy drug. The company also is eligible to receive $28 million as drug development continues and $110 million if the drug goes to market

Old 11-21-2019, 07:47 AM

304 posts, read 217,837 times
The Ford & Moog investments are for replacement work for the product lines life cycles that are ending.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area