Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2020, 04:46 PM

5,679 posts, read 4,081,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
Batavia is the sort of place that I couldn't imagine anyone moving to if they didn't already know someone there.

Ok.

Now, imagine you owned Batavia. What would you do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2020, 07:24 AM

93,192 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
Batavia is the sort of place that I couldn't imagine anyone moving to if they didn't already know someone there.
It could also be a place where if someone wants a smaller community with some amenities, but also has access to a couple of bigger cities/areas within minutes. So, it could be a nice happy medium for some folks.

Old 12-11-2020, 08:18 AM

6,391 posts, read 4,896,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
It could also be a place where if someone wants a smaller community with some amenities, but also has access to a couple of bigger cities/areas within minutes. So, it could be a nice happy medium for some folks.
its really too far from Buffalo or Rochester to do much. I worked there for 20+ years and the ride from Buffalo is at least 45 minutes in good weather and the same to Rochester. IMHO its better to be in a community closer to either one. There is NOTHING to do in Batavia. The shopping is meager, Walmart, Tops, Kohls and Home Depot. Its mostly a lower income, rural area. When the Massey Harris mega factory closed in 1958, the city lost over 1000 jobs, which were never replaced. It only has a little over 14,000 people. Some of the main employers are prisons.

https://www.batavianewyork.com/sites...loads/2016.pdf

Old 12-11-2020, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
its really too far from Buffalo or Rochester to do much. I worked there for 20+ years and the ride from Buffalo is at least 45 minutes in good weather and the same to Rochester. IMHO its better to be in a community closer to either one. There is NOTHING to do in Batavia. The shopping is meager, Walmart, Tops, Kohls and Home Depot. Its mostly a lower income, rural area. When the Massey Harris mega factory closed in 1958, the city lost over 1000 jobs, which were never replaced. It only has a little over 14,000 people. Some of the main employers are prisons.

https://www.batavianewyork.com/sites...loads/2016.pdf
45 minutes to Downtown Buffalo, but one could be employed in say Cheektowaga or Perry's in Akron and it would be a reasonable commute. Same going towards the Rochester area. In fact, Genesee County used to be in the Rochester MSA and is actually in the Rochester CSA. So, if anything, the thread should probably be moved to the Rochester forum. With that said, Batavia Notre Dame HS is actually in the Buffalo Roman Catholic Diocese in terms of school authority.

Don't get stuck on how things were when you were here. I already mentioned some companies that are still in the city/area and it has parks, Darien Lake, a community college, minor league baseball(not for now), etc.

It is a small city with a mix of neighborhoods and is actually generally working to relatively straight middle class. Some city information: https://censusreporter.org/profiles/...15-batavia-ny/

If the information above is right, it looks like poverty in the city has started to go down again, not up: Batavia, NY Historical Poverty Level Data - USA.com™

Genesee County info: https://censusreporter.org/profiles/...see-county-ny/

Genesee County, NY - USA.com™
Genesee County, NY Historical Poverty Level Data - USA.com™

Again, it doesn't look too bad, as the poverty rate is actually lower than the state figure and is roughly around the national poverty percentage.

Old 12-12-2020, 09:09 AM

Quote:
45 minutes to Downtown Buffalo, but one could be employed in say Cheektowaga or Perry's in Akron and it would be a reasonable commute. Same going towards the Rochester area. In fact, Genesee County used to be in the Rochester MSA and is actually in the Rochester CSA. So, if anything, the thread should probably be moved to the Rochester forum. With that said, Batavia Notre Dame HS is actually in the Buffalo Roman Catholic Diocese in terms of school authority.

Don't get stuck on how things were when you were here. I already mentioned some companies that are still in the city/area and it has parks, Darien Lake, a community college, minor league baseball(not for now), etc.

It is a small city with a mix of neighborhoods and is actually generally working to relatively straight middle class. Some city information: https://censusreporter.org/profiles/...15-batavia-ny/

If the information above is right, it looks like poverty in the city has started to go down again, not up: Batavia, NY Historical Poverty Level Data - USA.com™

Genesee County info: https://censusreporter.org/profiles/...see-county-ny/

Genesee County, NY - USA.com™
Genesee County, NY Historical Poverty Level Data - USA.com™

Again, it doesn't look too bad, as the poverty rate is actually lower than the state figure and is roughly around the national poverty percentage.
Cheektowaga is also 45 minutes away. The fastest way is the Thruway and its 45 minutes to Exit 50. Going to Cheektowaga by the Thruway takes longer. If you take Walden Ave or Genesee Street which has lower speed limits you can make it in 45 minutes. Almost anywhere in the greater Buffalo area is at least 45 minutes. In the winter add 15-30 minutes. I know, I commuted for 25 years.

According to Batavia's own data, the poverty level has almost doubled since 2000. Its 19% according to the latest US Census figures which is higher than the State which is 13%

Old 12-12-2020, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Cheektowaga is also 45 minutes away. The fastest way is the Thruway and its 45 minutes to Exit 50. Going to Cheektowaga by the Thruway takes longer. If you take Walden Ave or Genesee Street which has lower speed limits you can make it in 45 minutes. Almost anywhere in the greater Buffalo area is at least 45 minutes. In the winter add 15-30 minutes. I know, I commuted for 25 years.

According to Batavia's own data, the poverty level has almost doubled since 2000. Its 19% according to the latest US Census figures which is higher than the State which is 13%
No, Cheektowaga isn’t necessarily 45 minutes away, especially considering how big the town is. Given that Maryvale is in the NE corner of the town it depends on where you are going in the town: https://goo.gl/maps/iLRMKb5Hh8BnNidv7 That is essentially a trip to the airport. It is essentially the same distance to Greater Rochester International Airport as well: https://goo.gl/maps/a2g96iFYXSQT1BRe9 So, it is right in the middle of 2 1 million person plus metro areas.

Again, Batavia as a city has actually decreased its poverty rate in recent years and most cities are going to be higher than the state percentage. That still means that 81% aren’t in poverty in the city and in the county, it is essentially at the national percentage. That doesn’t sound like a “high poverty” area.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 12-12-2020 at 11:29 AM..

Old 12-12-2020, 02:27 PM

Quote:
No, Cheektowaga isn’t necessarily 45 minutes away, especially considering how big the town is. Given that Maryvale is in the NE corner of the town it depends on where you are going in the town: https://goo.gl/maps/iLRMKb5Hh8BnNidv7 That is essentially a trip to the airport. It is essentially the same distance to Greater Rochester International Airport as well: https://goo.gl/maps/a2g96iFYXSQT1BRe9 So, it is right in the middle of 2 1 million person plus metro areas.

Again, Batavia as a city has actually decreased its poverty rate in recent years and most cities are going to be higher than the state percentage. That still means that 81% aren’t in poverty in the city and in the county, it is essentially at the national percentage. That doesn’t sound like a “high poverty” area.
The National poverty rate according to the US Census is 10.5 and Batavia is 19.0%. Taking your reasoning further, saying 81% are not in poverty is questionable. If you are in the 19%, then you are struggling, hearing that you are one of 1 the 5 that are in poverty and 81% are not, is not much comfort.

As far as Cheektowaga goes, it takes 45 minute to get from Batavia to the northeast corner of the town line. I have driven it thousands of times. That is to the edge of Cheektowaga, further in tales longer as well as inclement weather factors into it. It is a trip I have taken innumerable times.

Old 12-12-2020, 03:04 PM

Quote:
The National poverty rate according to the US Census is 10.5 and Batavia is 19.0%. Taking your reasoning further, saying 81% are not in poverty is questionable. If you are in the 19%, then you are struggling, hearing that you are one of 1 the 5 that are in poverty and 81% are not, is not much comfort.

As far as Cheektowaga goes, it takes 45 minute to get from Batavia to the northeast corner of the town line. I have driven it thousands of times. That is to the edge of Cheektowaga, further in tales longer as well as inclement weather factors into it. It is a trip I have taken innumerable times.
Again, I said that Genesee County, which is the county/micro area Batavia is in, is around the national percentage. Batavia as a city has a poverty rate not much higher than or lower than major cities across the country. So, its rate, while having room for improvement, isn’t relatively “high” for a city and has been declining again.

Again, no...Batavia is not that far from NE Cheektowaga. I’ve done the drive before as well. It doesn’t take that long. To the heart of Downtown Buffalo, sure, but not to parts of Cheektowaga or to the other example I gave in regards to Perry’s in Akron. It essentially is a little over an hour(and 10 minutes) from Downtown Buffalo to Downtown Rochester and Batavia is basically right in the middle of both. Now with the change in tolls, it will reduce the potential wait.

With all this said, the bigger point is that you can live in the city and have a reasonable commute to some employers in both metro areas. I’m sure that there are people that go to work in either the Buffalo or Rochester metro areas.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 12-12-2020 at 03:12 PM..

Old 12-12-2020, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Again, I said that Genesee County, which is the county/micro area Batavia is in, is around the national percentage. Batavia as a city has a poverty rate not much higher than or lower than major cities across the country. So, its rate, while having room for improvement, isn’t relatively “high” for a city and has been declining again.

Again, no...Batavia is not that far from NE Cheektowaga. I’ve done the drive before as well. It doesn’t take that long. To the heart of Downtown Buffalo, sure, but not to parts of Cheektowaga or to the other example I gave in regards to Perry’s in Akron. It essentially is a little over an hour(and 10 minutes) from Downtown Buffalo to Downtown Rochester and Batavia is basically right in the middle of both. Now with the change in tolls, it will reduce the potential wait.

With all this said, the bigger point is that you can live in the city and have a reasonable commute to some employers in both metro areas. I’m sure that there are people that go to work in either the Buffalo or Rochester metro areas.
If you consider a 19% poverty rate acceptable, who am I to argue.

Why would someone pick Batavia over a Buffalo or Rochester suburb? The drive gets really old after awhile and you have to factor in more frequent car replacement. It was extremely difficult to get employees to put up with than daily grind. Having owned a business there, I know all about the commute. In the winter you easily spend 2 hours each way.

Old 12-12-2020, 06:14 PM

Quote:
If you consider a 19% poverty rate acceptable, who am I to argue.

Why would someone pick Batavia over a Buffalo or Rochester suburb? The drive gets really old after awhile and you have to factor in more frequent car replacement. It was extremely difficult to get employees to put up with than daily grind. Having owned a business there, I know all about the commute. In the winter you easily spend 2 hours each way.
Didn’t say it was “acceptable”, but I’m just putting the statement and numbers into proper perspective. There is a difference. A similar city near you with a slightly higher rate and similar population is St. Augustine: https://censusreporter.org/profiles/...-augustine-fl/

Again, the point is that you can(key word) commute to employers in both areas. This isn’t about a choice between Batavia and a suburb in either area(though walkability may be a reason) or a supposed 2 hour commute back and forth(to & where?). This is strictly saying you can have a reasonable commute to employers in either metro area and an example was given in regards to Perry’s, which by the way is less than a half hour and you don’t have to use the Thruway. Similar with a place like Tree House Foods/Associated Brands in Medina, which is in the Rochester metro.

A lot people are moving to areas in the South or other parts of the country where a 25-35 minute commute is normal. So, this isn’t any different. In fact, St. Augustine is actually in the Jacksonville metro area and is a similar distance/time from Downtown Jacksonville as Batavia is to the heart of Downtown Buffalo. So, some people there likely make a similar commute to employers there as to what I’m referring to with Batavia in relation to the Buffalo or Rochester metro areas.

That’s all...

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 12-12-2020 at 06:35 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area