Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2024, 09:41 AM

5,735 posts, read 4,116,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmosquitox View Post
The quotes they gave for the structural repairs were $850+ million and would extend it's life by 20 years or so. Given the new stadium price tag (at the time) being 1.1 billion and a lifespan of 30 years it made financial sense to build new. Cost overruns brought the new price to 1.6 billion, I'm assuming the renovations would be up to 1.2 billion by now.
The beautiful thing about a new build is that you (should) know the cost going in. Rehabs CAN have surprises and most contractors automatically bid high because of that. Putting a dome would be helpful extending the life of the stadium, and could have been tied in with a rehab.

As I said, just an opinion, considering a big picture viewpoint, beyond just the stadium.

Yes, I know, the new stadium is being built.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2024, 10:59 AM

93,577 posts, read 124,293,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
The beautiful thing about a new build is that you (should) know the cost going in. Rehabs CAN have surprises and most contractors automatically bid high because of that. Putting a dome would be helpful extending the life of the stadium, and could have been tied in with a rehab.

As I said, just an opinion, considering a big picture viewpoint, beyond just the stadium.

Yes, I know, the new stadium is being built.
You would also have to consider the price of putting a dome on the stadium. For instance, here is information about the new roof on the JMA Wireless Dome in Syracuse, which likely would cost more for Highmark and more today if that was just completed: https://cuse.com/news/2023/7/24/gene...ject-continues

So, given that the rehab would cost a pretty penny and then you add a roof, you might as well build a brand new stadium for the same/similar cost.

Old 04-29-2024, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
You would also have to consider the price of putting a dome on the stadium. For instance, here is information about the new roof on the JMA Wireless Dome in Syracuse, which likely would cost more for Highmark and more today if that was just completed: https://cuse.com/news/2023/7/24/gene...ject-continues

So, given that the rehab would cost a pretty penny and then you add a roof, you might as well build a brand new stadium for the same/similar cost.
Just an opinion.

I still believe if they sharpened some pencils they could have done it for much less than $850 million. Someone just randomly picked that number. The way they build domes nowadays looks like an easy retrofit. Like I said, there's politics and other things that were involved in the decision.

Old 04-29-2024, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Just an opinion.

I still believe if they sharpened some pencils they could have done it for much less than $850 million. Someone just randomly picked that number. The way they build domes nowadays looks like an easy retrofit. Like I said, there's politics and other things that were involved in the decision.
Like you said, just an opinion.

Again, the reason is that it is likely just as much to build new very rehabbing the old and then adding a new roof.

Old 04-29-2024, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Like you said, just an opinion.

Again, the reason is that it is likely just as much to build new very rehabbing the old and then adding a new roof.
Likely isn't a reason, but the more I think about it, they really could have rehabbed the current stadium, put a dome on it, and it would feel like a brand new stadium, for $1.7 billion.

Had they gone that route, establishing some kind of additional development MIGHT have occurred with a year round stadium.

Sorry to bring this back up, but reading one of the last links reminded me that there were stadiums even older.

Old 04-29-2024, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Likely isn't a reason, but the more I think about it, they really could have rehabbed the current stadium, put a dome on it, and it would feel like a brand new stadium, for $1.7 billion.

Had they gone that route, establishing some kind of additional development MIGHT have occurred with a year round stadium.

Sorry to bring this back up, but reading one of the last links reminded me that there were stadiums even older.
No, because instead of pouring a bunch of money into a stadium that hasn't really ever had any major(key word) upgrades in 50 years, you can built a brand new one.

You also have to consider how much would it cost to put a dome on the current stadium. he example of the Dome in Syracuse shows that it cost about $118 million dollars in upgrades to the roof and the addition of air conditioning(yes, the Carrier Dome didn't have any when it was named such) and a new scoreboard which hangs from the roof. This is for a stadium that seats about 20,000 less people than Highmark Stadium does.

This study by the state from October 2021 shows to truly renovate Highmark Stadium would cost $862 million at the time. that is without even considering adding a roof or other added costs into the equation: https://esd.ny.gov/sites/default/fil...AL-11-1-21.pdf

Old 04-30-2024, 07:03 AM

Quote:
No, because instead of pouring a bunch of money into a stadium that hasn't really ever had any major(key word) upgrades in 50 years, you can built a brand new one.

You also have to consider how much would it cost to put a dome on the current stadium. he example of the Dome in Syracuse shows that it cost about $118 million dollars in upgrades to the roof and the addition of air conditioning(yes, the Carrier Dome didn't have any when it was named such) and a new scoreboard which hangs from the roof. This is for a stadium that seats about 20,000 less people than Highmark Stadium does.

This study by the state from October 2021 shows to truly renovate Highmark Stadium would cost $862 million at the time. that is without even considering adding a roof or other added costs into the equation: https://esd.ny.gov/sites/default/fil...AL-11-1-21.pdf
It looks pretty close, between new build and renovation using the 60% rule. So it does appear they could have done the renovation with a roof as the renovation will be about $340/sf less.

Interesting, in the same report, there is basically zero projection for ancillary development for 30 years.

Old 04-30-2024, 07:28 AM

Quote:
It looks pretty close, between new build and renovation using the 60% rule. So it does appear they could have done the renovation with a roof as the renovation will be about $340/sf less.

Interesting, in the same report, there is basically zero projection for ancillary development for 30 years.
Where did you even come up with those numbers given that a roof isn't mentioned in terms of renovations and the renovations wouldn't last as long as a new build?

Also, the idea for ancillary development probably won't show up due it coming from private sources or the fact that the report is strictly about the stadium structure itself.

Old 04-30-2024, 07:28 AM

6,453 posts, read 4,938,371 times
https://everbankstadium.com/stadium-of-the-future-about

This is how its done

Old 04-30-2024, 07:30 AM

^Now, how much will it cost? Is it actually a reality in terms of a real plan or is this just a rendering? What about funding sources, which can vary by structure?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area