Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2024, 06:01 PM

5,708 posts, read 4,100,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
Its also one of the most economically depressed areas of the USA that have an NFL team.

Pretty crazy. How many billions of dollars has he made in just 7 years?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2024, 07:04 PM

93,393 posts, read 124,052,832 times
Quote:
Its also one of the most economically depressed areas of the USA that have an NFL team.
Again, it also has one of the biggest pulls in terms of population as well. So, that may help a bit.

If anything, what you say makes the higher operating income even more remarkable, but also Buffalo is the 2nd smallest 1 million person plus metro in land area. So, to think that one would view that the fans would only come from the Buffalo metro area wouldn't be considering the other areas fans come from.

Cost of living is likely lower than most areas as well.

This article from 2018 about the Detroit Lions, a team that is similar in terms of location and value, explains some things, but also mentions how TV rights and sports gambling will bring values up, among other things mentioned in the article: https://www.crainsdetroit.com/sports...ther-nfl-teams

Also, here is a construction update: https://www.buffalobills.com/photos/...4-ab92842890ab

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 04-24-2024 at 07:56 PM..

Old 04-25-2024, 06:24 AM

6,427 posts, read 4,920,252 times
I don't see the point of the new stadium. The fans are complaining about the PSLs, the owners are getting stuck with massive cost overruns, all for a slightly improved stadium in the same location. There may be slightly more revenue but the Bills were ok in 11th place before this. How long will it take for the owners to recoup the projected 850 million, less the PSL revenue, that their share of the stadium is projected to cost them?

Old 04-25-2024, 06:44 AM

Quote:
I don't see the point of the new stadium. The fans are complaining about the PSLs, the owners are getting stuck with massive cost overruns, all for a slightly improved stadium in the same location. There may be slightly more revenue but the Bills were ok in 11th place before this. How long will it take for the owners to recoup the projected 850 million, less the PSL revenue, that their share of the stadium is projected to cost them?
Who knows, but think about this, even if the stadium was built Downtown or in the city, the same thing likely comes into play.

With that said, you may still get people that will buy those PSLs, but it may end up weeding out some long time fans.

I was actually watching some of this podcast yesterday, which touches on some of the things that have been discussed here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zp2i...BkYWlseSBuZXdz

Old 04-25-2024, 07:42 AM

6,427 posts, read 4,920,252 times
When you accept a substantial subsidy from a Progressive Democratic State, it comes with strings attached like a PLA and CBA which significantly increases the cost of the stadium. Who benefits? Local and minority trades. Who is hurt? Season ticket holders, who need to pay PSLs and indirectly the owners who have sacrificed flexibility of team location and possible increase in team value and now have to pay a significant amount to cover the cost overruns. If I was negotiating I would have capped the overruns since its an open ended amount.

Old 04-25-2024, 08:15 AM

Quote:
When you accept a substantial subsidy from a Progressive Democratic State, it comes with strings attached like a PLA and CBA which significantly increases the cost of the stadium. Who benefits? Local and minority trades. Who is hurt? Season ticket holders, who need to pay PSLs and indirectly the owners who have sacrificed flexibility of team location and possible increase in team value and now have to pay a significant amount to cover the cost overruns. If I was negotiating I would have capped the overruns since its an open ended amount.
Also, keep in mind how much the PSL's are taking out of the local economy. Just 2 $15,000 PSL's are going to cost some family $30,000 or more. Think what else could have been done with that money, as well as the lost sales tax revenue. It's been said that most families couldn't handle a $400 emergency.

Old 04-25-2024, 08:58 AM

Quote:
That occurs regardless of the state, as stadiums are viewed as bad deals anyway. Look up the PSL issues with the stadium in Dallas, as an example. So, this is an issue regardless of location, as stadiums are more about suits and more amenities within the facility.

Old 04-25-2024, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
Also, keep in mind how much the PSL's are taking out of the local economy. Just 2 $15,000 PSL's are going to cost some family $30,000 or more. Think what else could have been done with that money, as well as the lost sales tax revenue. It's been said that most families couldn't handle a $400 emergency.
Who says it is families buying the PSLs? A lot of it may come from corporations or if it involves families, it will likely be from families that can swing it.

Old 04-25-2024, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Who says it is families buying the PSLs? A lot of it may come from corporations or if it involves families, it will likely be from families that can swing it.
What's the difference? Business or personal, it is money going to the Pagula's, rather than a new car, addition on their house, business expansion, or anything.

You have no basis for your last statement, without knowing the entire communities financial picture. As a mater of fact I'm sure that many people who can't afford it will squeeze out other priorities, even causing divorce in some cases.

Additionally, who, with any kind of financial savy has $30,000+ just sitting around, not earning a return. I'm sure many will raid their 401k's. So even people who can afford it most likely are making other adjustments in their portfolio's.

Old 04-25-2024, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
What's the difference? Business or personal, it is money going to the Pagula's, rather than a new car, addition on their house, business expansion, or anything.

You have no basis for your last statement, without knowing the entire communities financial picture. As a mater of fact I'm sure that many people who can't afford it will squeeze out other priorities, even causing divorce in some cases.

Additionally, who, with any kind of financial savy has $30,000+ just sitting around, not earning a return. I'm sure many will raid their 401k's. So even people who can afford it most likely are making other adjustments in their portfolio's.
Again, these are likely people that can do it and some may have been doing it for a while. So, I think the corporations and families know what they can or can not do in terms of the PSLs.

According to 2022 5 year US Census information, in Erie County; 8% of 406,547 households(32,524) and 15.7% of 164,281 married couple families(25,792) make over $200,000. Now, add in the other counties/areas nearby and it is possible to have many/most of the PSLs filled. It will be a long term commitment, but again, some will do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area