Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2023, 07:52 AM

6,389 posts, read 4,896,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I pulled it up, but I'm wondering if this is just a matter of differing visions about what needs to be done or a matter of holding the plan accountable. Meaning, is it going to be done in a way that doesn't cause more destruction of the things in place. That's all.
When you are dealing with a project of this scope there are always going to be dissenters. That group which consists of stakeholders from the area is a real success story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2023, 09:03 AM

93,180 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
When you are dealing with a project of this scope there are always going to be dissenters. That group which consists of stakeholders from the area is a real success story.
I think the people in the segment are as well. Hence, why I said what I said. Meaning, the plan for that area may not be monolithic within the community.

Old 10-20-2023, 09:32 AM

6,412 posts, read 3,128,516 times
Looks to me, like "Rochester's Inner Loop re-do, Part Deux". That is, a road project that was designed to speed traffic flow "across town", 60 years ago, suddenly isn't "politically correct", therefore it needs to be "taken care of"..............

Old 10-20-2023, 10:10 AM

5,675 posts, read 4,081,937 times
What's really sad is that for 60 years, they haven't learned how to adapt and look at the Kennsington as half full. Government continuing to throw money at the problem has rarely solved problems.

How many cars pass though this corridor, and NOBODY has taken advantage of that in 60 years? Seriously? That was a gift to the neighborhood, and I doubt that 90% of the neighborhood remembers the before.

Old 10-20-2023, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
Looks to me, like "Rochester's Inner Loop re-do, Part Deux". That is, a road project that was designed to speed traffic flow "across town", 60 years ago, suddenly isn't "politically correct", therefore it needs to be "taken care of"..............
I don't think it is so much political, as it is development and land use based. I say that because this is something that has been going on in cities across the country. So, even when you step back and look at the bisected/destroyed neighborhoods impacted by highways narrative, that is as much about destroying the city grid/taking that lad off the roles, as it is about the people that inhabited those former areas.

Also, in Syracuse in regards to I-81, which is getting its viaduct removed, if the viaduct was to be rebuilt, there would also have to have more buildings removed to rebuild it. So, I can see why the woman in the segment is concerned about current buildings possibly being removed in this rebuild, as that can be the case with other rebuilds for highways.

Old 10-20-2023, 10:25 AM

5,675 posts, read 4,081,937 times
Quote:
I don't think it is so much political, as it is development and land use based. I say that because this is something that has been going on in cities across the country. So, even when you step back and look at the bisected/destroyed neighborhoods impacted by highways narrative, that is as much about destroying the city grid/taking that lad off the roles, as it is about the people that inhabited those former areas.

Also, in Syracuse in regards to I-81, which is getting its viaduct removed, if the viaduct was to be rebuilt, there would also have to have more buildings removed to rebuild it. So, I can see why the woman in the segment is concerned about current buildings possibly being removed in this rebuild, as that can be the case with other rebuilds for highways.
Let's keep this conversation on the north section of Rochester, please. Every city is different. And in this instance there is no demand for this development. I thought it would have been a great area for Amazon when we were mentioned in the top 5. If you look at the north side of the IL, it has all been torn down and rebuilt like suburban apartment and warehouses. No real "community gathering area. Why did they tear down those neighborhoods, and no one complains?

Old 10-20-2023, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
Let's keep this conversation on the north section of Rochester, please. Every city is different. And in this instance there is no demand for this development. I thought it would have been a great area for Amazon when we were mentioned in the top 5. If you look at the north side of the IL, it has all been torn down and rebuilt like suburban apartment and warehouses. No real "community gathering area. Why did they tear down those neighborhoods, and no one complains?
What are you even referring to in terms of neighborhoods being torn down and no one complaining?

Again, I believe the reason for any highway removal is ultimately land use. Especially when you consider that many of the cities doing it have declined in population or if they want to expand the Downtown development footprint. Meaning, expand development outside of the Downtown proper to adjacent neighborhoods or basically develop from the inside out.

To bring it back to the actual topic, as mentioned before, the segment mentions how there is a concern for redevelopment in the parkway space related to removal of current buildings. That's why I mentioned the I-81 in Syracuse example, as if they replaced the viaduct with a new one, the new development would have included removal of some buildings near the I-81 right of way.

Here are a couple of related articles with examples of highway removal within cities: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freeway_removal

https://www.cnu.org/publicsquare/202...story-movement

Old 10-20-2023, 04:43 PM

6,389 posts, read 4,896,864 times
Here is an article by Ennis Davis, Jacksonville's brilliant historian and editor of The Jaxson online magazine

https://www.thejaxsonmag.com/article...axs-struggles/

Old 10-20-2023, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
Here is an article by Ennis Davis, Jacksonville's brilliant historian and editor of The Jaxson online magazine

https://www.thejaxsonmag.com/article...axs-struggles/
Not surprising, as it was the same M.O. in many cities across the country.

Old 10-21-2023, 05:37 AM

6,412 posts, read 3,128,516 times
Quote:
But consider this....many of the roads that are being "deconstructed" in urban areas, are roads that were constructed 60-some years ago, so how many of the people who are "bellyaching" about how the neighborhood was destroyed, were even alive back when the construction began?

I don't like to be repetitive, but to my personal observation, in Rochester, the Inner Loop, which has recently been the subject of much "latent angst", was a road that was designed to provide a quick "cross town route" for the area. And for the most part, at least in my memory, the land that was commandeered for it's construction was primarily commercial property. So how, exactly, were "neighborhoods destroyed"??

Want to talk about neighborhood destruction, in the Rochester area? When I490 was constructed, it plowed directly through the eastern suburban towns of Fairport, Pittsford, and Brighton....ALL were primarily residential areas, and many people suddenly found themselves with an expressway running through their backyards. The construction of I590 (formerly NY 47) plowed through Brighton, part of the eastern fringe of the city, then into Irondequoit. Once again, primarily residential areas. I recall a little grumbling, on the part of some, but most looked at it for what it was intended to be....a quicker, more efficient way to get around the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area