Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2023, 07:19 PM

6,393 posts, read 4,896,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Well, seeing how relatively fast the eastern portion of Rochester's Inner Loop was completed, I think that may have played a part in a change of plans.
What does Rochester have to do with Buffalo? Its not and either or situation. Plus the inner loop was a much smaller project. It was around 20 million and the Kensington is a 1 Billion project.

https://www.enr.com/articles/57259-r...4100%20million.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2023, 10:22 PM

93,195 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
I don't know why you even bring this up. It was discused for years and there was a pent up demand for housing in the Rochester case. It that the same here?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
What does Rochester have to do with Buffalo? Its not and either or situation. Plus the inner loop was a much smaller project. It was around 20 million and the Kensington is a 1 Billion project.

https://www.enr.com/articles/57259-r...4100%20million.
Because the type of development suggested in the article about the Kensington Parkway sounds very similar to what occurred with the Inner Loop in Rochester in terms of filling it in, while bringing back the Humboldt Boulevard. That later idea sounds very similar to the grid level boulevard slated for the I-81 project in Syracuse.

The point in all of these projects is to bring back the original grid or built environment before those highways were built.

Also, the 20 million was just for the eastern portion of the loop, with the same type of development slated for the northern Inner Loop.

Old 11-11-2023, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Because the type of development suggested in the article about the Kensington Parkway sounds very similar to what occurred with the Inner Loop in Rochester in terms of filling it in, while bringing back the Humboldt Boulevard. That later idea sounds very similar to the grid level boulevard slated for the I-81 project in Syracuse.

The point in all of these projects is to bring back the original grid or built environment before those highways were built.

Also, the 20 million was just for the eastern portion of the loop, with the same type of development slated for the northern Inner Loop.
The Kensington is a monumental undertaking of a Billion dollars and as I said before with NYS impending budget deficits and the first western NY governor in over a century you cannot let this drag out forever because they will wind up with nothing, like the Piece Bridge.

Hochul also became the first governor from north of Hyde Park since Nathan L. Miller in 1922, in addition to being the first governor from Western New York since Horace White in 1910 and the first governor from Buffalo since Grover Cleveland in 1885.

Old 11-11-2023, 07:26 AM

Go to the Upstate African American thread and listen to the Vision of Hope show on WUFO for more in depth information.

It is money allocated for infrastructure and has to be used for such. So, with that funding, more than a tunnel can be done and there are examples that have made changes with less. That is what also has to be considered.

Old 11-11-2023, 08:12 AM

5,679 posts, read 4,081,937 times
Who came up with the price for this? It seems awful high to me, for what they want to do. Was it just to be dramatic? When our "leaders" are just throwing a billion here, a billion there, that is absolutely irresponsible. It doesn't seem to be very complex, so why can't we get a real price?

Old 11-11-2023, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Go to the Upstate African American thread and listen to the Vision of Hope show on WUFO for more in depth information.

It is money allocated for infrastructure and has to be used for such. So, with that funding, more than a tunnel can be done and there are examples that have made changes with less. That is what also has to be considered.
This will require more studies which will take more time and someone will not be happy no matter what. My point is that they have to be pragmatic. Don't overdo it or you will wind up with nothing. Changing from the tunnel to a surface plan with the traffic dispersed throughout the city is an enormous change and will require lots of studies and DOT approvals etc. When it was the original Humboldt Pkwy back in the 50's things were different and now people are so used to the 33 it will be a tough sell. I would love nothing more than to see Humboldt Pkwy restored and Scajaquada removed and Delaware Park restored to Olmsteds original plan. It would be a dream come true. Lets see what happens.

Old 11-11-2023, 12:52 PM

Quote:
This will require more studies which will take more time and someone will not be happy no matter what. My point is that they have to be pragmatic. Don't overdo it or you will wind up with nothing. Changing from the tunnel to a surface plan with the traffic dispersed throughout the city is an enormous change and will require lots of studies and DOT approvals etc. When it was the original Humboldt Pkwy back in the 50's things were different and now people are so used to the 33 it will be a tough sell. I would love nothing more than to see Humboldt Pkwy restored and Scajaquada removed and Delaware Park restored to Olmsteds original plan. It would be a dream come true. Lets see what happens.
The problem is that the city is half of what it was at the time it was built and if anything, filling it in may actually cost less than what is allocated for the tunnel. So, that may be cost less, while other attached infrastructure can get addressed with that funding.

I see that people likely didn’t listen to the shows addressing the issue. So, here they are: https://www.city-data.com/forum/66060778-post5350.html (for the second show, they get into the subject in regards to the study and how this took 15 years of involvement about 30 or so minutes into the show)

Old 11-11-2023, 08:33 PM

Quote:
The problem is that the city is half of what it was at the time it was built and if anything, filling it in may actually cost less than what is allocated for the tunnel. So, that may be cost less, while other attached infrastructure can get addressed with that funding.

I see that people likely didn’t listen to the shows addressing the issue. So, here they are: https://www.city-data.com/forum/66060778-post5350.html (for the second show, they get into the subject in regards to the study and how this took 15 years of involvement about 30 or so minutes into the show)
People want to go from the Thruway to downtown and across the Piece Bridge. You would have to take the I-290 or the I-190 which is a lot further. Just going downtown would take longer depending on the traffic lights. The surface plan may be cheaper (its only a guess). The proposal would leave most of the Kensington Expressway intact except for the restored original Humboldt Parkway and the same with the Scajaquada. I hope and pray that they restore Delaware Park and the Humboldt, it would be the best thing to happen to the City in decades

Old 11-11-2023, 10:48 PM

Quote:
People want to go from the Thruway to downtown and across the Piece Bridge. You would have to take the I-290 or the I-190 which is a lot further. Just going downtown would take longer depending on the traffic lights. The surface plan may be cheaper (its only a guess). The proposal would leave most of the Kensington Expressway intact except for the restored original Humboldt Parkway and the same with the Scajaquada. I hope and pray that they restore Delaware Park and the Humboldt, it would be the best thing to happen to the City in decades
Is this about those people or those that live in the are where the construction will take place? You are kind of proving the point as to why it should be about the people that will be impacted the most. Especially when you are talking about an area that is a "20 minute" city/area and in a city that has essentially half of its peak population. There are other routes, which were mentioned in the radio shows I suggested(due to actually being from community residents) and that aren't much different in terms of time. Let alone that the city is on a grid.

Old 11-12-2023, 07:18 AM

Before that travesty was built I used to go to work with my dad and we went down Main street and stopped at the Sunoco gas station. That was before the city started its precipitous decline. Main street was full of businesses and was a nice drive. Now it looks like a war zone, with tiny windows instead of picture windows, security gates and general urban decay. University Heights used to be a beautiful area as was Main and Amherst Streets crossing. Until they address the root problems of the city like poverty, bad schools and rampant crime, Humboldt Pwky will be like a nostalgic throwback to the days of old. The city deserves what it gets by reelecting the same politicians decade after decade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area