Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2023, 10:33 AM

93,177 posts, read 123,783,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
Just like I said at the beginning, this is why nothing gets done. The 33 will never be removed and if all this static keeps up then the whole thing will be scrapped. Better to have a "scrappy park and tunnel" than nothing. The governor is making this happen out of loyalty to the area, if the people don't want it then leave it the way it is. If you get rid of the 33 and dump the traffic on the "restored Humboldt Parkway" you will have just as much pollution and noise. Just look at the Piece Bridge, lots of static and an almost 100 year old antique instead of a gateway. I am sure lots of communities would love the 1 billion to restore their areas.
A lot of that traffic would likely have to use other streets along the grid/street network within the city to get around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2023, 11:21 AM

6,388 posts, read 4,896,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
A lot of that traffic would likely have to use other streets along the grid/street network within the city to get around.
Easier said than done, especially in the winter.

Old 10-24-2023, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Why would the winter matter, when he infrastructure to remove snow is or should already be in place? I also ask, because Syracuse is looking to build a boulevard in the location of the current I-81 viaduct and the street grid would and can be used to get around within the city.

Old 10-24-2023, 03:40 PM

6,412 posts, read 3,128,516 times
Quote:
Bingo!!!

Quote:
Why would the winter matter, when he infrastructure to remove snow is or should already be in place? I also ask, because Syracuse is looking to build a boulevard in the location of the current I-81 viaduct and the street grid would and can be used to get around within the city.
Ever drive in stop and go, traffic light to traffic light in the city? Light turns green the lead driver spends 10 seconds finishing up his/her text, before moving, then by that time only 3-5 cars make it through the light. In the winter, after that initial 10 second delay, add another 10 seconds for that driver to get traction on the slippery road, and get moving, now only 2 cars make it through the light.........

Old 10-24-2023, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Have you ever lived in the City and seen the snow removal? Some streets don't get plowed for days.

Old 10-25-2023, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
Bingo!!!

Ever drive in stop and go, traffic light to traffic light in the city? Light turns green the lead driver spends 10 seconds finishing up his/her text, before moving, then by that time only 3-5 cars make it through the light. In the winter, after that initial 10 second delay, add another 10 seconds for that driver to get traction on the slippery road, and get moving, now only 2 cars make it through the light.........
Quote:
Have you ever lived in the City and seen the snow removal? Some streets don't get plowed for days.
Yes and again, people wouldn't necessarily take the same streets to get to the same place. Hence, mentioning the grid, as many streets run parallel/perpendicular to each other that drivers can use. As someone that uses surface streets into work, I occasionally change the route, if I see say a trash truck in the way down the street or construction.

As for plowing, many of the streets that don't get plowed right away aren't major or heavily traveled streets. However, I would think that the streets that don't get plowed right away, should and those that are on such streets should make a big deal about that. This is usually in cases with major snowfall.

Old 10-28-2023, 09:01 AM

11,767 posts, read 5,781,921 times
Quote:
I was going to say - every year after a big snowfall there are stories on the news of streets that haven't been plowed out and neighbors stuck for days if not a week.

Old 10-28-2023, 10:09 AM

The 33 aka Kensington Expressway is currently plowed by Erie County. Will the City take it over if the residents get their way?

Old 10-28-2023, 11:47 AM

Quote:
The 33 aka Kensington Expressway is currently plowed by Erie County. Will the City take it over if the residents get their way?
It would have to, unless it is under another jurisdiction like the state DOT. Besides, if it becomes green space, guess who would have to take care of that as well?

I would also think that a boulevard/major surface street would get plowed in a way a side street may not all the time, unfortunately. Especially if the side street has on street parking(i.e.-vehicles that aren’t moved in time, etc.).

Old 10-30-2023, 05:35 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIJP1zBYkiw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcVxgcfQOp0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTDafKjBusk
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area