Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2024, 08:32 AM

6,390 posts, read 4,896,864 times

Advertisements

Having lived there for 60+ years I can agree with this:

https://www.silive.com/news/2024/02/...nt-report.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2024, 07:49 PM

93,185 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Key criteria information: "In order to find America’s “loneliest” cities, the website analyzed housing data across more than 170 cities with a population of at least 150,000 from the U.S. Census Bureau, focusing on which areas have the most people living alone.

In order to find America’s “loneliest” cities, the website analyzed housing data across more than 170 cities with a population of at least 150,000 from the U.S. Census Bureau, focusing on which areas have the most people living alone."

Old 02-27-2024, 08:30 AM

6,390 posts, read 4,896,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Key criteria information: "In order to find America’s “loneliest” cities, the website analyzed housing data across more than 170 cities with a population of at least 150,000 from the U.S. Census Bureau, focusing on which areas have the most people living alone.

In order to find America’s “loneliest” cities, the website analyzed housing data across more than 170 cities with a population of at least 150,000 from the U.S. Census Bureau, focusing on which areas have the most people living alone."
And your point is?

Old 02-27-2024, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
And your point is?
That there is some context and criteria behind being one of the "loneliest" cities. If I or someone else just read it as is, you would or could think it was about relationships or something of that nature. When it is about living alone in a dwelling and not necessarily being "lonely" in relational or similar sense, it gives context to the title of the list/article. That's all...

This is also considering that Washington DC was #1 on the list. So, that right there gave me pause, at least.

Old 02-27-2024, 10:21 AM

163 posts, read 101,850 times
I'd put more value on a lonely cities list if it was based on self reported loneliness rather than how many people live alone. When the criteria is about people living alone, there are other things being measured more than loneliness. For example housing affordability. In extremely expensive markets a young person may have to live with their parents or have roommates, because they can't afford a place on their own. In more affordable markets young people are able to make it on their own. Doesn't mean they're lonely, it means housing on a young person's income is attainable.

Another thing that might be getting measured more than loneliness is locations that attract young single folks to build a career. These locations might have plentiful housing for people fitting that description (studio apartments for example.) I personally was not single / living alone when I lived in D.C. but I knew people who were living alone. They were extremely ambitious and focused on building their careers, but they also had a circle of friends and were dating. D.C. gives young people that opportunity to build an impressive employment resume, make good money, and meet other young "upwardly mobile" peers. When I lived in D.C. I worked at an apartment building in Crystal City, Arlington, VA. Definitely people living alone in that building. The type of people when you ask what they do for a living they say I could tell you but then I'd have to kill you. I guess that could lead to feeling lonely.

I lived in Buffalo and now live in Rochester. They are both known for being neighborly, yet both appear on this dubious lonely list. Even though Buffalonians and Rochesterians are friendly, I think new people who move in sometimes find it intimidating to break into a social group to form deeper connections. There are many lifelong residents who have family in the area in addition to friends from childhood. As a new person in town that can make it feel impossible to ever become close with people who already have such strong, established relationships. They're not looking for new friends. So I could see that leading to a lonely period when someone first moves in. Although in my case it's been those lifers that I ended up connecting with to form friendships, not other transplants.

Old 02-27-2024, 10:30 AM

5,675 posts, read 4,081,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
This is also considering that Washington DC was #1 on the list. So, that right there gave me pause, at least.
I doubt that very many people have real friends in this place.

Old 02-27-2024, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilacsnlocks View Post
I'd put more value on a lonely cities list if it was based on self reported loneliness rather than how many people live alone. When the criteria is about people living alone, there are other things being measured more than loneliness. For example housing affordability. In extremely expensive markets a young person may have to live with their parents or have roommates, because they can't afford a place on their own. In more affordable markets young people are able to make it on their own. Doesn't mean they're lonely, it means housing on a young person's income is attainable.

Another thing that might be getting measured more than loneliness is locations that attract young single folks to build a career. These locations might have plentiful housing for people fitting that description (studio apartments for example.) I personally was not single / living alone when I lived in D.C. but I knew people who were living alone. They were extremely ambitious and focused on building their careers, but they also had a circle of friends and were dating. D.C. gives young people that opportunity to build an impressive employment resume, make good money, and meet other young "upwardly mobile" peers. When I lived in D.C. I worked at an apartment building in Crystal City, Arlington, VA. Definitely people living alone in that building. The type of people when you ask what they do for a living they say I could tell you but then I'd have to kill you. I guess that could lead to feeling lonely.

I lived in Buffalo and now live in Rochester. They are both known for being neighborly, yet both appear on this dubious lonely list. Even though Buffalonians and Rochesterians are friendly, I think new people who move in sometimes find it intimidating to break into a social group to form deeper connections. There are many lifelong residents who have family in the area in addition to friends from childhood. As a new person in town that can make it feel impossible to ever become close with people who already have such strong, established relationships. They're not looking for new friends. So I could see that leading to a lonely period when someone first moves in. Although in my case it's been those lifers that I ended up connecting with to form friendships, not other transplants.
Very good post! This could be viewed as a good thing, when coupled with the other articles about millennials able to buy a home in the city/area.

This is also why knowing the context/criteria can be important with said lists, as a person can come in thinking it is about one thing, but ends up being about something else.

Old 02-27-2024, 07:09 PM

3,067 posts, read 2,394,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
I doubt that very many people have real friends in this place.
"You want a friend in Washington? Get a dog." -Harry Truman

Old 02-29-2024, 02:52 PM

118 posts, read 48,409 times
All the lonely people, where do they all come from?

Old 03-04-2024, 10:51 AM

19,220 posts, read 17,075,134 times
So this fountain of information has identified where singles live, because to claims Richmond is #10 and Atlanta is #4 is all they are showing. Decreased marriage rates, couples choosing to live together rather than marry, non-traditional unions and large college populations all add to higher numbers of singles. Let them review Suburban Enclaves if they want to show higher numbers of couples...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
View detailed profiles of: