Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2008, 04:39 PM

112 posts, read 381,153 times

Advertisements

Buffalo Real Estate is intriguing indeed. A city of neighborhoods. Individual Villages and Towns have diversity within themselves. Thanks for your help everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2008, 09:30 AM

1,316 posts, read 3,903,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLL071999 View Post
I lived in Lockport for 27 years of my life up until last year. I am a litte concerned when you say "affordable old houses". Lockport is a very nice area if you know where you are looking. A lot of these old houses can be in the not so nice area of town. I don't want to offend anyone but we all know the parts of town you don't mind driving through but wouldn't want to live there. If you cannot afford Lewiston, that gives me an idea of what you are looking for. I would look on the outskirts of the city and more of the Town of Lockport. With that said, there are very nice houses on streets such as Pine, Locust, Lincoln, High St and areas near the High School in the city. I think the other side of the City near Outwater Park is fairly nice too. In the Town of Lockport areas like Day Rd and Akron Rd are about 5 mins from the City but you could have more of a yard if you are looking for one. Lockport itself has had some rough patches over the last couple of years. We lost our mall and some people have been fighting a Super Walmart coming to replace the current Walmart. They just started a concert series that I hear is going over very well. There is still a nice "downtown" area and the canal is very nice. There are restaruants, banks, shopping, and the Y all downtown. Traveling up Route 78 South , Transit, you will find more stores, restaurants, Home Depot, a Drive In Movie theater and much more. This is also your route to Buffalo, probably by way of Millersport or the 290, probably a 20 min drive.
If you are looking in surrounding areas, Newfane is nice. A little higher taxes but nice lots, close to the lake and still only about 35 min drive to Buffalo or Niagara Falls. Wilson, also very nice. Barker farther away but lots of land and very rural area.
Feel free to ask more questions if you have them. You can also visit Lockport-Journal.com which is the local paper.
he's right..but the taxes are even HIGHER in Lockport than metro Erie county -egregiously! lockport is a bust since the atuomotive meltdown - no econ stability here and so NOT a great investment imho...good luck...

Old 07-29-2008, 12:30 PM

19 posts, read 115,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by friedzone View Post
Looking for commentary on Lockport. I know there are some rusting old and sometimes contaminated industrial sites there. Otherwise what do people think about the area? Easy commute to Buffalo? Safe to walk the streets at night? Appreciate any feedback.
Very attractive place to live. Not much work, though, and it's turning into sort of a bedroom community for Amherst and Buffalo. If you're talking about commuting into Buffalo, I'd say why bother living that far away? Going to Amherst, I'd consider it. I know people who do both. If you do end up living there, look for your neighbors to be very worried about "the Niagara Falls blacks" moving in. The city is safe, cheap, good looking and good people. Town of Lockport's kind of boring but seems like plenty of decent, affordable real estate going up along Rapids rd/Beattie Rd, which is pretty rural but on the South side, convenient for people commuting to Erie county.

Old 07-29-2008, 05:39 PM

I live about 50 miles outside of Chicago so I know about long commutes. 2 hours in traffic getting home some days. Part of the attraction of Buffalo is it's more livable scale for a big city. What a Buffalonian would consider a long commute, someone from LA, NYC, Boston or Chicago (all cities that I have lived in) might consider a piece of cake. I have not spent really a lot of time in Buffalo but seems like Transit road is pretty much the generalized end of the city. Suburban tiers and more rural from there on out. There is a lot of land that could be developed in the rural areas but most Buffalonians like to stay closer to the city it seems. From my visit to Lockport, I was more comfortable up in Newfane and Olcott. But that's just me.

Old 08-02-2008, 01:20 PM

77 posts, read 385,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by friedzone View Post
I live about 50 miles outside of Chicago so I know about long commutes. 2 hours in traffic getting home some days. Part of the attraction of Buffalo is it's more livable scale for a big city. What a Buffalonian would consider a long commute, someone from LA, NYC, Boston or Chicago (all cities that I have lived in) might consider a piece of cake. I have not spent really a lot of time in Buffalo but seems like Transit road is pretty much the generalized end of the city. Suburban tiers and more rural from there on out. There is a lot of land that could be developed in the rural areas but most Buffalonians like to stay closer to the city it seems. From my visit to Lockport, I was more comfortable up in Newfane and Olcott. But that's just me.
Newfane is a great place to live, being a person who grew up here. It hasn't changed much in the past 30 years. I am currently living in a one bedroom apartment that is only $425 a month / all expenses paid. But, I do live here with two children as well. I just felt I had a deal and took it.

Old 08-02-2008, 05:42 PM

Newfane/Olcott is high on my list. What I liked was the rural character and closeness to Lake Ontario. I like the lake breezes. Maybe sailing on Ontario or just watching the sailboats. WNY is a cheap place to live for being such a beautiful region. Putting up with a little snow is just part of the price of admission, eh.

Old 08-07-2008, 04:13 AM

1,316 posts, read 3,903,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlmerritt36 View Post
There is nothing wrong with Lockport. It is only about 20 minutes away from Buffalo. Downtown Buffalo, is a different story. Lockport is even starting to clean up by creating new businesses or changing the one's they already have.

City Taxes - very high and very wrong imo....

Old 08-07-2008, 08:20 AM

I live in the suburbs between Milwaukee & Chicago. Now real estate taxes have doubled and the value of homes is on the decline.

Niagara Falls has low taxes relatively speaking.

Old 08-07-2008, 06:16 PM

23 posts, read 67,375 times
Newfane is a nice place to live. Par 3 golf course (lighted for night play), pizza shop, a few little family restaurants, 2 banks,d plenty of Bars for such a small town its own hospital and 5 mins from the Lake. Olcott also has a bunch of Bars, a little shopping village, some old time rides that the town has refurbished and of course the "beach". Back in the late 1800's Olcott was the place to be. There was a beautiful Hotel that used to look out over the Lake. People traveled far to come see what Olcott had to offer. Unfortunatly, Olcott had a rough patch for many years and it wasn't a very nice place to visit. Many people are trying very hard to restore it back to what is was and its really come around in the last couple of years. You can google search towns such as Burt, which has the famous Van Horn Mansion and also the Burt Dam known for its awesome salmon fishing. Burt is so small if you blink your eyes between Newfane and Olcott you'll miss it. I grew up in Newfane and lived there all my life up until 2 years ago and of course I always complained about growing up in such a small town, but I do miss it. There is nothing like driving down the steet and knowing most of the people that drive by you or are walking down the street!

Old 08-07-2008, 06:54 PM

225 posts, read 715,968 times
What is in Newfane?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area