Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 11:28 AM

2 posts, read 8,431 times

Advertisements

Hello I was wondering if anyone knows of charities or organizations in or around Alden that helps needy families at Christmas time. We are a family of 6.It's my husband and I and 4 kids. 2 boys ages 7 and 4 and 2 girls ages 8 and 5.We would really like for them to have a great Christmas from Santa as they all still believe.It is just really hard I stay at home with my youngest boy and after school I am with all my children...there is no way daycare can be afforded for 4 kids.My husband is the only one working.If anyone has suggestions ideas or contacts we would greatly appreciate it! Thank you so much in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2008, 12:34 PM

1,049 posts, read 3,857,403 times
do you get assitance? you can try there, catholic charities as well as the buffalo news has some programs (news neediest fund)

have you also tried delivering the buffalo news or the metro? I have friends that did this with the kids to make some money - they made great great xmas money delivering the buffalo news.. Also they are looking for ppl to deliver the phone books, I have friends doing that right now as well...

Lots of little stuff can make a difference in cash flow - good luck

Old 11-13-2008, 01:36 PM
JH6

1,435 posts, read 3,218,798 times
Creating a good christmas atmosphere in your house will go a lot further than meaningless toys.. Get the family together, and bake some cookies and decorate your house.

My girlfriend buys the tacky stuff from the dollar general, thats all we need to get in the christmas spirit.

Honestly, I don't remember one gift that I got for christmas, the memories are the most important thing.

Old 11-16-2008, 06:33 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,817,172 times
Walk through Lancaster when the animated windows are all up.... they used to be in AM&A's in the city ( morphed to BonTon and no longer in the city) . They are all along Central and on W. Main, there are gorgeous dsplays. There are kid's plays ( cheap) at the Opera House, matinees ( call for the times and prices). Hull House is doing a Christmas in the 1800s ( call the Lanc. Historical Society for that #) There are winter activities at the parks -- Como Lake for one, Chestnut Ridge for another.

Lots of things you can do around here without much money and to take the kids. I remember the things we did just like the other poster does.

If you need a food pantry, there are several. I think Trinity Church in Lancaster has one.

Last edited by BuffaloTransplant; 11-16-2008 at 06:36 PM.. Reason: add

Old 11-25-2008, 10:40 AM

1 posts, read 5,149 times
While I appreciate the earlier posts,I don't trully believe the children will find gifts useless. We are an Alden family and might be willing to help. But like all families are resources are limited. Contact me at yahoo,and lets see how we could help. Our children are 5 and under,and I could not imagine no gifts from Santa.

Old 11-25-2008, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubasteve74 View Post
While I appreciate the earlier posts,I don't trully believe the children will find gifts useless. We are an Alden family and might be willing to help. But like all families are resources are limited. Contact me at yahoo,and lets see how we could help. Our children are 5 and under,and I could not imagine no gifts from Santa.
ita, which is why I mentioned the Buffalo News Needy Fund - its a great organization!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-03-2008, 07:34 AM

2 posts, read 7,082 times
Hi my name is Kerri. I have children ages 6, 10 I have been looking for a family to help for Christmas. I have some gently used clothes and a lot of toys most of them look brand new that I would like to give to you. I know brand new is better but I thought anything could help your kids for christmas. My children always take excellent care of them. If you would like them I would be willing to bring them to you to help. My children to this every Christmas. Please e-mail me nursekerri@roadrunner.com.

Old 12-10-2008, 08:18 AM

29 posts, read 66,706 times
Smile In need of some help. Is there an angel out there?

I was trying to locate some sites that I could subscribe to for my family for christmas this year when i cam acrossthis site. We are a family of 5 (6 including my doggie toby). It includes my wife of 12 years and 3 children. Their ages range from 12 to 20. I have an older daughter who is 20. My wife had her at a very young age, Also a wonderful son who is 14. He is the pride and joy of our household as he requires most if not almost all of our attention. He has ADHD, is bi-polar and also ws recently diagnosed with mild autisum. He just started high school, however he is in a 5 to1 student to teacher ratio because of his learning disabilities. He currently is at a grade level 4 as far as his mind will let him explore.
Then theres my little peanut. My 12 year old daughter who is a bright young lady. She is very ambitious and has alot of love in her heart for everyone. She had a tough go of it since birth as she was born with Bi-latteral club feet. She has had 4 surgeries and has been placed in a number of casts to try and straighten out her feet as much as possible.
Thank god for small miracles because even though she doesnt walk perfectly straight, she is able to fit in just fine and make friends. she tries to get involved in as many activities in school as possible.
My wife is truly the glue that has held my family together. A wonderful mother whos heart is always full of love and understanding.
Our lives have pretty much turned upside down this year and it just seems to get tougher as each day goes by. It all started with me. I worked my whole life since i was 15 years old. At age 31, i injured myself at work. (My lower back) It was so bad that it required surgery. Unfortunately for me the surgery made matters worse to the point that I am totally disabled and unable to work. Through the past 6 years, i tried my hardest to work part time and succeeded but every day was a struggle being in constant pain. Finally, in April of this year I could not bear the pain anymore and my Doctor put me out of work permanately. I do recieve a check twice a month but the check is so low that its barely enough to put food on our table. Mostly all the time we are behind with our bills. I do try and get anything i can from the state for assistance but that only lasts for so long.
To make matters worse, my wife, who was working a full time job at the same place for 7 years ,was let go. We now find ourselves in unfamiliar territory not knowing what tomorrow will bring.
During this same year, my wife and myself each had a vehichle and believe it od not , we were both involved in seperate accidents which in both cases our cars were a total loss and we also ended up being at fault with no collision. We managed to get one car which we share in order to take our son to the doctors weekly, and our daughter to school.
As we thought things couldnt get worse, my oldest daughter who was married , lost her husband tragically to a massive heart attack in October of this year He was only 27 years old. He left behind his wife, and 2 beautiful children. a son who is 2 years old and a daughter(who he never got a chance to see as my daughter was 6 months pregnant) who is now 2 months old. They are my special angels as I like to call them. They are my grandchildren and will do everything in my power to keep them on the right path in life.
Needless to say, with no jobs, and whatever money we had saved, was spent on funeral costs etc. We are letting our oldest daughter and our grandchildren stay with us until she is ready to venture on her own.
It really upsets me to think of christmas this year as I am finding it so hard to get into the spirit even though I know i must be strong for everyone. It would mean the world to me to give my family a good christmas. I think it could really make a difference, So I am reaching out to anyone who will listen. Anmyone who could possibly help in any way. I have called several orginizations and havent gotten very far. I have heard of families "adopting" needy families for the holidays. Do these families exist? Is there that angel that could help my family this year? The Salvation army and Catholic Charities are booked as far as helping out. I guess my pride, thinking i could make something work, got in the way andI put it off too long. I know there are wonderful people out there, My job dealt with people every day and I know most everyone cares. I just don't know where to turn. I pray everyday to god and my Mother who is in heaven, to try to help me through this. Sometimes i just think that I really don't have it that bad. I have my health right? And a beautiful family. I just wish i could give them a good christmas. It saddens me that i cant.
Thanks for letting me speak my mind and thanks for listening. If someone is out there, someone that could help make my families life a little brighter, please contact me. Believe it or not, my children still believe in Santa claus. Either by person or by the spirit others have.
Thanks and happy Holidays. God Bless.
Sean

email redzone52970@hotmail.com (cell) 716-563-4958

Last edited by inneedofanangel; 12-10-2008 at 08:25 AM.. Reason: email address

Old 12-10-2008, 11:10 AM

2,397 posts, read 4,702,727 times
contact the news neediest fund

Old 12-10-2008, 11:41 AM

somewhere I saw this great website - you should check it out - it has a lot of the resources that you need.

Search Erie County by Category

I think I may have even seen it posted here somewhere - anyway, click on the area (s) you need help in and they will direct you accordingly

best of luck and Merry Christmas!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area