Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 11:08 AM

504 posts, read 1,492,987 times

Advertisements

I'm not condoning the racist remarks made by others in this thread, but the problems they highlight are real and Buffalo boosters who ignore them are displaying a "not my problem" attitude more commonly held by residents of East Amherst.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2009, 03:46 PM

17 posts, read 77,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesuicide View Post
Cheektowaga has more issues then just the east side influx. I have always considered it a pretty miserable place. The police and judges that have sat on the bench there for years are racist egomaniacs, the supervisors are largley incompetent and the people are all around dullards.
hey! i resemble that remark...actually i love cheektowaga. grew up there in the 60's and will always remember it fondly. has it changed that much? i wanted to retire there soon. i was expecting happy shiny smiling people, lawn fetes, fireman's picnics,adorable children riding their schwinn bikes, etc....please don't tell me it has changed that much!

Old 01-05-2009, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobtoo View Post
hey! i resemble that remark...actually i love cheektowaga. grew up there in the 60's and will always remember it fondly. has it changed that much? i wanted to retire there soon. i was expecting happy shiny smiling people, lawn fetes, fireman's picnics,adorable children riding their schwinn bikes, etc....please don't tell me it has changed that much!
A lot of those people moved to North Carolina. Or Lancaster. But there are still more lawn fetes and chiavettas around Cheektowaga than I would care to attend.

A place in Cleveland Hill or Depew might be nice.

Old 01-05-2009, 07:59 PM

93,231 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganirish View Post
I'm a relatively new citizen of (take a deep breath).... Buffalo. We've lived here a year come 29 Dec 08. I'm still surprised when I read the post bashing the city of Buffalo. We live in the Parkside area and absolutely love it. Our neighborhood, as well as the surrounding area is beautiful and the neighbors very welcoming and friendly. While we can not leave our doors unlocked as we did in the rural area of Michigan that we last lived in, it is a far cry for the Detroit area we grew up in.

If you want something to complain about move into the suburbs of Detroit... you people haven't got a clue
True, Detroit suburbs like Ecorse, River Rouge, Inkster and Highland Park are rough looking. there are some decent suburbs that have transitioned in terms of demographics like Southfield too.

Old 01-05-2009, 10:14 PM

275 posts, read 469,627 times
some parts of cheektowaga are nice and other parts are becoming...well, not so nice

Old 01-06-2009, 02:48 AM

137 posts, read 316,062 times
Ok, so I guess I am one of those Buffalonians in "denial" about Buffalo's condition. Is everyone that oblivious to the fact that stereotyping does absolutely nothing? Yes Buffalo's east side is bad and I am not going to sit here and talk about the east side like I live there because I don't in fact I am one of those people who lives in the Parkside area.

Now let me get a little off subject. I am a Marine, I am currently deployed serving my country on my 2nd 7 month deployment in the last 20 months (yeah in the 2 year I have been home about 5 months). Now, if most of you saw me in my dress blues with my blood stripe going down my pant leg. My 7 medals and 2 ribbons on my chest, my expert pistol and rifle badges and that clean cut look, you would maybe stop me and thank me for what I do for my country and I WOULD tell you it is no big deal. Because it isn't to me. Because I like knowing that I did may part to keep my family and friends safe and I didn't leave it to someone I didn't know. Now let’s go back to Jacksonville NC where I am stationed. The locals HATE Marines. Why? Because there are those select few that ruin our reputation by drinking and driving and killing someone. The ones who kill people in fights, or beat their wife (or husband.) The media doesn't say Man kills 10 year old boy in drunk driving accident it says Marine kills. So they stereotype all of us as wife beating killers is that true about all of us? No.

So to all of you who say Buffalo this and Buffalo that, go (use your imagination) yourself. Don't let the actions of a select few members of society change your views of a city. Buffalo didn't ask them to live there. And don't say well Buffalo needs to do something about it because they can't control where people live. No matter what there is always going to be ghettos, scumbags and killers. Doesn't matter what city, what state or what country. But those individuals are a reflection on themselves not where they are from.

Old 01-06-2009, 08:43 AM

29 posts, read 66,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinH View Post
Teds lost its lease I believe. If you see the lines in that place every day, you will know that it is a profitable business.

As for a Sonic, I beleive that would be another flash in the pan type deal. Remember Krispy Kreme? Where are they now? Tim Hortons put them right out of business.

As for Cheektowaga, there are areas that are TERRIBLE. I had no idea. I was looking at properties, and some areas remind me of the inner city of Buffalo, only with higher taxes.

There are some NICE areas of Cheektowaga soon, with proud owners, but I hope that they can hold the inner city element out of that area.

Take a trip to the Walmart on Harlem and Walden, or any other business in that area if you don't beleive that Cheektowaga is being invaded by the inner city.

It is such a shame..
Boy you hit that on the head. That whole plaza, including Tops is just overwhelmed my inner city but look at the location. Once past harlem, you are right into it.Im surely not speaking about all of the people because even though they come from a different part of town, doesnt mean they are all bad but you can definately notice a huge difference form say 10 years ago. I lived in Cheektowaga for about 5 years in the early 90's and it was a great neighborhood. Now you drive down my old street which was near eggert and it has totally gone right down the tubes and unfortunately only going to get worse. Theres alot of beautiful parts in Cheektowaga but as far as the outskirts, it surely seems to be worsening. Acoording to a buddy of mine who is a Cheektowaga cop(btw, i hate them with a passion with the exception of him) the crime rates in the above mentioned areas have skyrocketed in recent years. With the Walden Galleria, and the short bus, car or walking commute, its highly unlikely there will be any change. Location,location, location

Old 01-06-2009, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineFromBuffalo View Post
Ok, so I guess I am one of those Buffalonians in "denial" about Buffalo's condition. Is everyone that oblivious to the fact that stereotyping does absolutely nothing? Yes Buffalo's east side is bad and I am not going to sit here and talk about the east side like I live there because I don't in fact I am one of those people who lives in the Parkside area.

Now let me get a little off subject. I am a Marine, I am currently deployed serving my country on my 2nd 7 month deployment in the last 20 months (yeah in the 2 year I have been home about 5 months). Now, if most of you saw me in my dress blues with my blood stripe going down my pant leg. My 7 medals and 2 ribbons on my chest, my expert pistol and rifle badges and that clean cut look, you would maybe stop me and thank me for what I do for my country and I WOULD tell you it is no big deal. Because it isn't to me. Because I like knowing that I did may part to keep my family and friends safe and I didn't leave it to someone I didn't know. Now let’s go back to Jacksonville NC where I am stationed. The locals HATE Marines. Why? Because there are those select few that ruin our reputation by drinking and driving and killing someone. The ones who kill people in fights, or beat their wife (or husband.) The media doesn't say Man kills 10 year old boy in drunk driving accident it says Marine kills. So they stereotype all of us as wife beating killers is that true about all of us? No.

So to all of you who say Buffalo this and Buffalo that, go (use your imagination) yourself. Don't let the actions of a select few members of society change your views of a city. Buffalo didn't ask them to live there. And don't say well Buffalo needs to do something about it because they can't control where people live. No matter what there is always going to be ghettos, scumbags and killers. Doesn't matter what city, what state or what country. But those individuals are a reflection on themselves not where they are from.
I wouldn't really argue with anything in your Marine analogy. But this "every man for himself" attitude is very problematic when you're talking about regional politics. Just because you're fortunate enough to live in the Parkside district of Buffalo, you are not absolved of the problems of the East Side. This is just like the selfish "not my problem" attitude of Clarence/Amherst residents towards Buffalo. True, the "Buffalo Rising" groupthink has yielded some great things in the past few years, but their final goal is shortsighted. The majority of people who are working to improve Buffalo don't care about crime or poverty, they just want it to move out of the city so they can rehab the beautiful spaces of the city. This does nothing to solve the real problems of the region.

You're right, Buffalo did not ask poor people to congregate within city limits. It's absurd that the suburbs consider themselves as entities wholly separate from the city. If you look a few years down the line, this may reverse. If crime and poverty flees the city, and comes to be centered in first ring suburbs like Cheektowaga, the problems of regional balkanization will remain. We need a mindset that takes the whole metropolitan area into account.

Look at Chicago. The Downtown Loop and miles of adjacent areas are completely gentrified. Thus, the problematic areas of the inner city form a band along the outer portions of the city and some of the first ring suburbs (reading clockwise: South Shore, Englewood, Cicero, Garfield Park, Humboldt Park, Uptown). It would not be an improvement for Buffalo to be completely gentrified with all the poor folks in the suburbs. This is how things are in most European cities (wealthy urban center, destitute fringes) and the inherent problems of a suburban slum are in some senses much more severe than an urban slum.

I'm sorry, as a Buffalo resident, it is your problem.

Old 01-06-2009, 10:53 AM

2,972 posts, read 8,212,389 times
This whole thread, from the very start is all about pointing a finger at Buffalo as the reason for all of Cheektowaga's problems. It's easier for people to sit behind their computer blaming Buffalo for the wrongs of their precious town over the internet than it would be for them to make a call to their town hall and make a reasonable complaint about a few concerning properties.

Old 01-06-2009, 12:43 PM

29 posts, read 66,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FedupWNY View Post
This whole thread, from the very start is all about pointing a finger at Buffalo as the reason for all of Cheektowaga's problems. It's easier for people to sit behind their computer blaming Buffalo for the wrongs of their precious town over the internet than it would be for them to make a call to their town hall and make a reasonable complaint about a few concerning properties.
Um... isnt what this site and forum all about?? Anyone, right or wrong should be able to voice their opinions regardless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area