Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 06:22 AM

119 posts, read 354,795 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are moving to Buffalo because of the Sabres!

Ok, ok, let me explain.

Being lifelong Sabres fans, we go to Buffalo, from RI, for a couple games a year. In the process we have really come to love WNY. The people, the culture - everything. We've come to decide that it really is the place that we are meant to be.

A few questions and background about where we might want to live:

We pretty much have our destination narrowed down to Amherst or Kenmore. Regarding Amherst, we do like Williamsville, but find that we could get more for our money around Eggertsville or Snyder. I read on these boards that those areas may not be as desirable as they once were. I understand Williamsville's schools are better than those such as Sweet Home or even Ken-Ton, but at the moment we don't have kids and aren't sure if we ever will. Which sections, even specific streets, would you recommend in Amherst, outside of Williamsville?

Can anyone tell me about Kenmore? Specifically which sections to avoid, and which to pursue? I know it's a first ring suburb, but we like the idea of being so close to the city. At the same time, I was told to maybe stay at least a few blocks north of Kenmore Ave, and east of Military Rd. I'm guessing the blocks around Delaware Ave and Delaware Rd are the best? And how is Town of Tonawanda north of Sheridan?

Sorry for all the questions, but as you might guess, we're pretty excited about this upcoming chapter in our lives.

I should mention that our budget would be up to $150K. We are a young professional couple, I in my 30s and my wife in her late 20s.

Thanks in advance for the help. We're really looking forward to moving to the City of Good Neighbors, and interacting with some of it's residents on this board. And yes, being able to go to more Sabres games each year is going to be a big plus!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2009, 07:03 AM

414 posts, read 1,505,630 times
Every location you mentioned is fine. there are better or worse areas of those locations but nothing to worry about. The 150k budget will probably put you more comfortably in the Ken-Ton area. Welcome to the party, we are the city of good neighbors...and that extends to the reigon

Old 04-29-2009, 07:12 AM

1,049 posts, read 3,857,403 times
What Mike said - that budget will put you in a decent area and a nice home - welcome to Buffalo!!!!!!

Old 04-29-2009, 04:13 PM

1,576 posts, read 5,348,962 times
Let me just say...

WELCOME TO the Queen City of the Great Lakes!!!

You will love here, I'm so glad you want to be a part of this wonderful community. You should be ok pretty much wherever you stated, so maybe do a little more research to see what fits you best!

Welcome!!! -

I wish you the best on your move, Congrats!

Old 04-29-2009, 04:49 PM

259 posts, read 888,763 times
The best homes in Kenmore are in the Deerhurst Park area. As for the Town north of Sheridan the Sheridan Parkside area has always been known as the low rent district of the Town but it is a neighborhood in transition. Some of the older WWII homes are being torn down and replaced with single family homes. The rest of the town is very much a bedroom community, $150K will get you a very nice home in that area.

Welcome to WNY.

Old 05-02-2009, 08:45 AM

15 posts, read 47,119 times
Some former Buffalo Sabres love Buffalo also. At the opening Tampa Bay Lightning game in last Fall, I had the pleasure of meeting Dave Andreychuck, who stopped in our Suite to say hello to some of the sick children & their families. He's now a community representative for the Tampa Bay Lightning. We struck up a conversation when I told him I was originally from Buffalo. He said that he loves Buffalo & still has a house in the suburbs there.On a sidenote, Kudo's to Tampa Bay Lightning player Ryan Malone for donating a luxury suite for the entire season to the Ronald McDonald House.Go Sabres! Go Lightning! At the Sabres games down here there's usually a lot more Sabre fans.

Old 06-24-2009, 04:25 PM

2 posts, read 3,855 times
Hey everybody, I'm on here trying to get some advice if possible I am 20 years old and am moving to America with my Boyfriend. Moving to America has been our dream for years now and I have always wanted to move to America since "Friends" first aired. (sad but so true! :P) We have decided to move somewhere outside of New York and we've been currently looking at Buffalo. I'd like to know if anybody thinks Buffalo can cater for two people in there twenties, wanting to work, have fun and live happy lives out there?? I'd like to know what people think it has to offer.
Thank you very much everyone for your time!! x

Old 06-24-2009, 06:11 PM

1,350 posts, read 3,545,947 times
When you say "somewhere outside of New York" what exactly do you mean? I only ask because Buffalo is quite a distance from NYC, about 400 miles & maybe 6.5 - 8 hr drive depending on traffic & where exactly in NYC you are trying to get to.

Buffalo is a great place for young adults provided you don't mind snow. There are plenty of entertainment options as well as outdoor activities. I'll let others who know the city better tell you about neighborhoods. Employment may be an issue depending on your experience & what you are looking for. If you have a degree or experience in a medical field or a lot of business related fields your chances of finding employment rather quickly are pretty good ..... "blue collar" type jobs seem to be another story. My wife was recruited to come here (medical) & I found a job with very little effort (business).

Old 06-24-2009, 08:16 PM

414 posts, read 1,505,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChloeLondon89 View Post
Hey everybody, I'm on here trying to get some advice if possible I am 20 years old and am moving to America with my Boyfriend. Moving to America has been our dream for years now and I have always wanted to move to America since "Friends" first aired. (sad but so true! :P) We have decided to move somewhere outside of New York and we've been currently looking at Buffalo. I'd like to know if anybody thinks Buffalo can cater for two people in there twenties, wanting to work, have fun and live happy lives out there?? I'd like to know what people think it has to offer.
Come on... its not exactly like friends here but still more fun then you will know what to do

Old 06-25-2009, 12:17 AM

1,576 posts, read 5,348,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChloeLondon89 View Post
Welcome! You'll love it here!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area