Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 06:10 AM
JH6 JH6 started this thread

1,435 posts, read 3,218,301 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure if they are changing the plates, or just lining their pockets. Might be both..

State forces drivers to buy new plates | WIVB.com (http://www.wivb.com/dpp/news/state_forces_drivers_to_buy_new_plates_090804 - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2009, 08:01 AM

1,293 posts, read 4,998,613 times
At least they have not started with the license plate stickers yet, like most other states. Maybe I shouldnt give them any ideas.

Old 08-05-2009, 08:28 AM

1,350 posts, read 3,545,483 times
If they are changing the plate design at least it would make sense from that standpoint (not that we need a new design on the plate or anything), if not it is just a ploy to get more $$ because the states budget is so &*%$#@ up. I'm a Democrat but I have to admit that Paterson will go down as one of the worst governors in recent memory. Its not entirely his fault as the legislative branch of the NY government is in shambles but he hasn't exactly done a great job handling that situation either. If only Spitzer could have kept his &*^% in his pants ..........

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese9988 View Post
At least they have not started with the license plate stickers yet, like most other states. Maybe I shouldn't give them any ideas.
The license plate stickers are the same thing as our window registration sticker. Most states have one or the other. At least our registration is good for 2 years, plenty of states charge yearly ....... same with our DL's being valid for 8 years, many other states use 5 & 6 year DL's.

Old 08-05-2009, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblake78728 View Post
The license plate stickers are the same thing as our window registration sticker. Most states have one or the other. At least our registration is good for 2 years, plenty of states charge yearly ....... same with our DL's being valid for 8 years, many other states use 5 & 6 year DL's.
Kinda what I ment.

Old 08-05-2009, 09:19 AM

1,515 posts, read 3,332,506 times
Quote:
At least they have not started with the license plate stickers yet, like most other states. Maybe I shouldnt give them any ideas.
I would actually prefer that to having to put a sticker in my window. That's how they do it in Ontario and Quebec, and you get a sticker in the mail each year, clean off the area where you have to stick it, and you are done.

Why don't you like the sticker as proof of registration?

Now, I wouldn't mind if we did away with the front license plate. I refuse to drill through my cars' bumpers to put that stupid thing on, I have never gotten ticketed, but I'm a little worried sometimes.

Old 08-05-2009, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canerican View Post
Why don't you like the sticker as proof of registration?
I just don't like the yearly fee.

Old 08-05-2009, 03:01 PM

Quote:
I just don't like the yearly fee.
They could theoretically do two year stickers, or add X dollars to the cost of the yearly inspection, and include both at that time.

Old 08-05-2009, 03:20 PM

1,080 posts, read 4,586,960 times
Default Fees, stickers and increase

Here in the state of Florida our registration is going up Sept. 1st, some fees are going up 117%. We have one plate, its really fun when people from other states come on down, and leave their front state plate on and have a Fl. plate on the back......yep, its legal. We also have those little yellow stickers, clean area, press on, score an X on it and your done. The reason we score an X on the sticker is so that no one can take it and put it on another car.

I'll be renewing for 2 yrs.....since I'll save $$$ before the increase.

Old 08-05-2009, 04:03 PM

1,350 posts, read 3,545,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Songbird42 View Post
Here in the state of Florida our registration is going up Sept. 1st, some fees are going up 117%. We have one plate, its really fun when people from other states come on down, and leave their front state plate on and have a Fl. plate on the back......yep, its legal. We also have those little yellow stickers, clean area, press on, score an X on it and your done. The reason we score an X on the sticker is so that no one can take it and put it on another car.

I'll be renewing for 2 yrs.....since I'll save $$$ before the increase.
I remember when I lived in the Philly area they had a problem with people cutting the corners off of plates so they could resell the stickers on the black market.

Old 08-05-2009, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblake78728 View Post
I remember when I lived in the Philly area they had a problem with people cutting the corners off of plates so they could resell the stickers on the black market.
My friend left his window open in West Delevan (not a great area), and someone stole his inspection sticker.

I have heard of the window stickers being stolen fairly regularly in Philadelphia (Philly had a REAR window sticker, which they did away with, because it was a spectacular failure).

The fact is that those stickers get stolen in Buffalo too... it's just a little tougher when it's inside the car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area