Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 08:49 AM

1,350 posts, read 3,545,947 times

Advertisements

I wouldn't really say it is a stereotype. I mean its not like we get a foot of snow every other day but the metro area does typically get 90+ inches/season. I know the Sierras & Rockies get a lot more but for major US metro areas Buffalo, Rochester & Syracuse are among the snowiest you'll find.

I know what you mean about reading statistics, if my wife & I only went on statistics we would have never even considered the area. Buffalo definitely has some areas that are eyesores but it also has some magnificent architecture. Some neighborhoods look like desolate war torn sectors of Baghdad while other areas are very clean, quiet & well kept. The bad always gets noticed the good rarely does. The majority of the suburbs are very nice & very safe, many are home to some of the best schools in NY.

Buffalo seems to be a place that people either love or hate, not a lot of in between. You'll read posts that make it seem like a Utopia as well as posts that will have you believing it is a crumbling smelling sewer .... the truth lies somewhere in between & everyone's truth is certainly not going to be the same. Every opinion (good & bad) is going to be somewhat clouded by that individuals personal experiences, likes, dislikes, politics, etc. If you are seriously considering moving here then you should come spend some time getting to know the area & the people first hand. Get out & mingle, see the good & the bad, the urban, suburban & even rural ...... only then will you truly know if this is a place you might be able to call home.

Last edited by jblake78728; 08-20-2009 at 09:20 AM..

Old 08-20-2009, 11:08 AM

196 posts, read 443,117 times
I still may be suffering from "new guy" itis, and granted, I did move to a nice suburb, so perhaps I havent seen the tarnished underbelly of buffalo (though I did take the genese local from downtown one night.).

The people are very friendly, and my neighbors are nice. Food is great, though still on main drag, ie, not the chains, but the bigger places. I seem to function better in the whole in the wall type places.

Traffic is a breeze, and fishing on lake erie, niagara and ontario super fun. Been here my first month and like it so far.

Old 08-20-2009, 11:10 AM

463 posts, read 1,048,497 times
^Thanks, I will!

Just did a city vs city statistical analysis in Excel and Buffalo surprised me in a lot of areas. I can look past the weather if it fulfills everything else I want. Compared to the rest of the country Buffalo really isn't as bad as I thought.

That's good to know.

Old 08-20-2009, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Komo View Post
The people are very friendly, and my neighbors are nice. Food is great, though still on main drag, ie, not the chains, but the bigger places. I seem to function better in the whole in the wall type places.
I'm so glad you said that because we aren't chain people AT ALL. We love hole in the wall places and there just isn't enough of that here.

Thanks!

Old 08-20-2009, 02:02 PM

31 posts, read 71,978 times
I think visiting any city/area is great, but wouldn't you all agree that fortunately or unfortunately, however you see it, one has to actually live in an area before they can truly determine whether he or she likes it or not? I just moved here from a very, very small town. It took me 2 years + to actually "get use" to that area and yes, actually enjoy it. I've only been in Buffalo for less than a month, and I'm glad I gave it a chance. So far, I'm enjoying myself, but still feel there is so much for me to learn about the city. I do wonder why some of the factories that are not being used are still in existence. I would rather seen them used or torn down and grass and/or trees built, but it's so weird how quickly I've become use to them.

I do want to know more about this "corrupt government." What can I do as a citizen to help?

Old 08-20-2009, 10:24 PM

9,130 posts, read 20,015,449 times
I have lived in the Buffalo area my whole life, and I have to admit that depending on season I would answer this differently.

Overall, I find this area very attractive. In times of need, everyone is there for each other. This isn't a community of walls. That is nice. Food is excellent too. Tons of terrific, family owned general menu and ethnic restaurants. I really wonder why people go to most chain restautaunts locally, since the private establishments are so plentiful, and IMO so much better. All summer, there are tons of free and cheap concerts, festivals, and other happenings that make it very difficult to be bored. After spending some time in places like Chicago, DC, Denver, I have also grown to appreciate the lack of bad traffic here.

Then, winter hits and with it my attitude. I just dislike the cold, and especially snow. For me, it is a nuisance. I am an out-doors type of person, but only when the weather is above freezing. So the December thru Feb months are rather tough on me. I dislike the bad weather enough that I would leave for a better climate if all else was equal.

My other major dislike is government and taxes. I feel taxes and gov't spending are out of control, and with a shrinking population and economy, I don't see an easy way out of it. I feel this will be a drag on the local economy for a long time to come.

To be honest, If I was from somewhere else, and were to chose someplace to live, Buffalo would not be at the top of my list. Having lived here, I have enough of an attachment that it would be extremely difficult to leave too. However, based on my dislike for one of our seasons, and the economic climate and future outlook, I cannot honestly say I will stay indefinately either.

Really, it is for the most part a good place to live, IMO, if you are able to find quality work and enjoy winter stuff (skiing, etc). Otherwise, there are a lot of quality choices around.

Old 08-21-2009, 04:38 PM

79 posts, read 258,670 times
There are lots of things that I love about Buffalo and miss since I moved away:

1. Great food - LaNova's, Panos, knockwurst, Towne restaurant, Casa-di-pizza, Friday fish fry, pizza, subs, authentic buffalo chicken wings, haddock fish, Pumpernick & Pastry, Costanzo's, etc, etc, etc.

2. Diverse cultural experience - Allentown Art Festival, Italian Fest, Broadway Market, lawn fetes, block parties, etc.

3. A sense of living in a community. Actually knowing your neighbors.

4. Lake Erie & spending time near the water in the spring, summer, and early fall.

5. My family & friends...miss them more than words can say. :-(

6. Wegmans, Galleria Mall, Niagara Falls, snow at Christmas, Our Lady of Victory Bascillica, short commute times.

7. Proximity to New York City...45 min. flight to JFK or LaGuardia.

Just to name a few things

Old 08-23-2009, 10:48 AM

Ok, we are going for a visit Sept 11th - 14th. I want to get a good feel of the area, can anyone tell me what I shouldn't miss? Food, neighborhoods?

Also, what is there to do in the winter months? I see plenty of things available for spring, summer and fall but other than the indoor waterpark I'm at a loss for winter ideas. (Forgive me, it's been a LONG time since I've lived in snow.)

I'm willing to look past the snow for some of the other perks available.

Not sure if you know this but when I compared the state of the economy between Buffalo and other major cities, Buffalo was faring better in almost all categories...unemployment, cost of living, job growth even (that was really surprising).

So after digging deeper it appears that Buffalo gets a bad rap, or at least, that's what I'm reading thus far. I can handle snow if it means my daughter gets a better education, which btw Buffalo spends an ENORMOUS amount of cash per student that FAR exceeds any of the towns we considered, we are talking thousands.

Old 08-23-2009, 11:00 AM

93,350 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumermarie View Post
Ok, we are going for a visit Sept 11th - 14th. I want to get a good feel of the area, can anyone tell me what I shouldn't miss? Food, neighborhoods?

Also, what is there to do in the winter months? I see plenty of things available for spring, summer and fall but other than the indoor waterpark I'm at a loss for winter ideas. (Forgive me, it's been a LONG time since I've lived in snow.)

I'm willing to look past the snow for some of the other perks available.

Not sure if you know this but when I compared the state of the economy between Buffalo and other major cities, Buffalo was faring better in almost all categories...unemployment, cost of living, job growth even (that was really surprising).

So after digging deeper it appears that Buffalo gets a bad rap, or at least, that's what I'm reading thus far. I can handle snow if it means my daughter gets a better education, which btw Buffalo spends an ENORMOUS amount of cash per student that FAR exceeds any of the towns we considered, we are talking thousands.
Actually, Buffalo still has some urban schools that perform at a high level too. Schools like City Honors, Hutch Tech and DiVinci are good HS's. Even schools like Arts and McKinley aren't too bad relatively speaking, let alone the very good suburban school districts. So, you can just about live anywhere and your daughter can get a good education.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 08-23-2009 at 11:29 AM..

Old 08-23-2009, 11:13 AM

1,350 posts, read 3,545,947 times
Education in Buffalo (and NY in general) is going to be typically better than in most of the lower tax states. As a father of 2 that's a trade off I really don't mind at all. One of the reasons we left Texas is because their public school system is a complete joke. Don't get me wrong, every state has their quality schools but if your comparing state wide systems NY fares better than most. In-state college tuition is also very affordable here (and usually pretty good too).

Winter activities ...... get a snow blower or get ready to shovel

It really depends on what your likes & interests are. Plenty of good downhill ski areas nearby & several of the local parks allow cross country skiing. Snowmobiles, ice fishing, ice skating. Its winter & this is a winter sports paradise. They also have a place for indoor golf (though I couldn't tell you much about it as I'm not a golfer) & there is always an abundance of shows & nightlife in the area. About the only thing that really changes is that the fairs & festivals obviously stop .... everything else is pretty much business as usual. If that isn't enough Toronto is always a little over an hour away & their entertainment options are comparable to or even better than pretty much every city in the US outside of NYC, LA, Chicago & Miami.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area