Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2010, 09:17 AM

9 posts, read 26,142 times

Advertisements

I've been searching the web (Craigslist, ApartmentFinder, etc) for a 2 bedroom apt for my family. We have 2 small children, one needs to be enrolled for preschool in the next month or two.
My husband and I are not waiting for our house to sell before moving to Buffalo. Hoping for a lease to start sometime in April, and not have a one year lease. The only place that came up was Campus Manor but I'm worried because it gets bad reviews. We will check it out but I'm not seeing much else with this flexibility in the Amherst School District (preferably Smallwood area) Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2010, 06:24 PM

1,049 posts, read 1,606,789 times
My sister lives there, and i've visited. It seems like a nice quiet apartment complex for being a college area, the apartments are nice if i remember correctly. I'll ask her her opinion next time i talk to her since I havent visited in 2 years so I dont remember perfectly.

Old 02-24-2010, 07:22 PM

504 posts, read 1,493,962 times
Any particular reason you're fixated on the Amherst School District? There are many fine schools in the Buffalo area, especially if we're just talking about pre-K and you're not planning on putting down roots right away.

Even if you do choose to limit yourself to Amherst, I don't think Campus Manor is the only choice. I also have heard nothing but bad things about it, and I'm not a fan of apartment complexes anyway. If you're thinking they're the only place that will give you a month to month lease, I'd encourage you to contact some private landlords. If anything, I'd think a private landlord would be more willing to be flexible on the lease terms than a big management company would. Doesn't hurt to ask, and there are hundreds of privately owned 2 bedroom apartments available for rent in Amherst.

I don't mean to pry, I'm just not sure whether you've considered other options.

Old 02-24-2010, 07:32 PM

504 posts, read 1,493,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wikiwikirunner View Post
My sister lives there, and i've visited. It seems like a nice quiet apartment complex for being a college area, the apartments are nice if i remember correctly. I'll ask her her opinion next time i talk to her since I havent visited in 2 years so I dont remember perfectly.
I agree, it's not really what most people would call a college area. It's more like straight up 1950s suburbia. Very quiet.

Old 02-24-2010, 08:55 PM

1,350 posts, read 3,545,947 times
I'm curious why you are stuck on the Amherst SD too?

Campus Manor might not be the only choice but its one of only a handful. Snyder is very a "house" oriented area. Boulevard Mall area has some complexes but I believe that is in Sweet Home SD. If you are open to a duplex or large house split up into 2 (or more) apartments you might have more luck & a private landlord may be more willing to work with you on the lease than a corporate owned complex. Just keep your eye on Craigslist & Buffalo News for those.

This site might be worth checking out as well ...........

Buffalo and Western New York (WNY) Classified Ads, WNY Events, Hamburg Sun, Metro Source, Western New York, News, Metro Group Inc., Metro WNY, Buffalo NY, Dining, College News (http://www.metrowny.com/ads_results.php - broken link)

Old 02-25-2010, 07:23 AM

93,376 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Check the mapskreig website and search under Buffalo too. It will show all types of rentals throughout the area.

Old 02-25-2010, 12:26 PM

Thanks for the responses and links.
Our wish list for moving is an older house and neighborhood. We're suckers for old homes. We'd also love to be walking distance to a few eateries to grab some hot cocoa and the paper, and near a library would be great. We want slightly more urban feel, would love to live in Elmwood Village or North Buffalo/ Hertel, but private, charter, and the Buffalo public schools are a little iffy/or expensive for us. So the area around Main Street in Snyder seemed like a good fit. And if we'd be in Amherst schools, would be nice to buy in Smallwood district. Not opposed to a few blocks down Main into the Village of Williamsville. So we're a bit flexible. I grew up in Williamsville and know the schools are great but think maybe closer to the city and a bit more diverse would work for us. That's why we've narrowed down the Amherst area (or Williamsville near 290)
Temporary housing for a few months- just thought it would be nice to be in the area near where we will buy and settle. Didn't see much more than Campus Manor but your comments will help.

Old 02-25-2010, 12:29 PM

Hey I wonder if that castle in Williamsville will ever be up for sale. heh heh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area