Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 09:58 AM

33 posts, read 179,532 times

Advertisements

I have land on Kidder Road in Sherman. It is very rural, very quiet and I get Fantastic coverage with Verizon Wireless. It is 10 minutes from Peek n Peak Ski resort and directly enxt to the Chautauqua snow mobile trails. I am building a cabin there in the next year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2010, 10:27 AM

719 posts, read 1,552,999 times
Schinz - That area is definitely in my search criteria. As a current VZ customer, I'm glad to hear they have good coverage there. When you build your cabin will you have a septic system put in? Any idea how much that costs?

Old 04-29-2010, 02:15 PM

The guy who sold me my land owns a gravel company locally there in Sherman. He is willing to put my septic system in for me and allow me to order all materials at cost. He is willing to do the labor cheaply. I am giving myself $5,000 and I feel very comfortable with that. The biggest thing is getting electric BACK to the building site which is hundreds of feet off the roadway from the enarest pole. The electric company will bring it so many feet in and then i have to pay to have it brought the rest of the way, trenched, etc. The exact estimate I got was $9,000 to get full service to the house. I am building a fairly large place just under 2,000 square feet. I want to be able to comfortably live there seasonally if I wish to. There are several Amish families in the area there that are very good builders...without paying all the overhead associated with "builders" and they do a fantastic job.
The biggest downfall to the specific spot is that DSL and Cable are not available. That leaves me with pretty much sattellite or Verizon wireless. Verizon wireless is awesome coverage wise though!!

Old 04-29-2010, 04:25 PM

434 posts, read 1,123,434 times
We left Chautauqua county 2 years ago and relocated to San Antonio TX. I loved the lake communities around the lake except for one, and unfortunately it turned out to be the one we lived in for 10 years. Maple Springs, located between Midway Park and Long Point State Park. It was not the physical area itself, but it was the people. The pettiness of many individuals about lake access, walking along the roads that border the lake, the public areas where everyone can enjoy the lake was despicable.

My next door neighbors who have a house and a cottage at the lake, are Cleveland residents. They were the nicest neighbors, and they were very much in the minority. I don't know why Maple Springs is the way it is. We lived in Lakewood and never had a problem.

I love San Antonio, but miss Chautauqua County on occasion, but that is what vacations are for!

I wish you the best in your search for a vacation home!

Old 04-30-2010, 08:22 AM

schinz,
That sounds like a very good deal on the septic. I wish you the best of luck on your ambitious project! 2000 sq ft for a cabin is HUGE! I couldn't really go the route of buying land and having something built as I wouldn't be there enough to "supervise" the various work being done. I will search for existing places that fit my wants/needs. I found an interesting one yesterday in Humphrey (Cattaraugus county) on 53 acres for $98k. The drawbacks are No septic and no electric. The positives are the location and the acreage.

Old 04-30-2010, 10:15 AM

Good luck to you. It is beautiful country up there. My wife and I fell in love with it a few years ago and just stubled on the piece of land, which the owner was willing to finance dirt cheap. Now our attention turns to building something big enough that we could live in seasonally later in life, not just a getaway cabin now.

Old 05-06-2010, 09:09 AM

schinz,
Interestingly, I was just looking at a place for sale on the internet on YOUR street! 8919 Kidder Rd. Sherman, NY 14781
It's listed for $128k and has 4.3 acres, so it's a a bit more $$$ and less land than what I wanted, but the place looks gorgeous. Any you familiar with this property? It's listed with a company called "Howard & Associates" Here is the link: Howard & Associates » Family Retreat Cabin In Mina * Findley Lake Property (PRICE REDUCED) (http://www.findleylake-property.com/lakefront/new-listing-family-retreat-cabin-in-mina-findley-lake-property/ - broken link)

Old 05-10-2010, 06:30 AM

Big D:
That property is behind the farm directly across the street from our land. In fact, it is owned by the same terrific man who sold us our land. It is a beautiful cabin that sits off the road and actually overlooks a field where there is a bald eagles nesting spot. It has an awesome porch and is actually built from wood from trees from our land across the Street before we bought it. Greg didn't actually put that cabin up for sale until well after he sold us our lot. There are two downfalls to that property with regards to what my wife and I like. The first is that it does not have a wood burning stove or fireplace. The second, most important thing, is that the cabin is powered by low voltage run by the owner back to the cabin from the meter near the road. It is perfect for short term stays, etc., but you could NOT put an electric oven or anything requiring "full power" in the cabin. Other than those two things it is a beautiful cabin on an awesome piece of land in an area that gets a boatload of snow!! We love that area because it is 10 minutes from the ski resort, 15 minutes from Lake Chautauqua and about 25 minutes from Lake Erie. Let me know if you have any other questions!!!
Also, as far as I last heard, there was a contract on the property and they were just waiting on the appraisal.

Old 05-17-2010, 01:47 PM

Schinz,
Regarding the wood burning stove / fireplace.. Are you sure it doesn't have one? This is a pic from the real estate listing website:
http://www.findleylake-property.com/wp-content/gallery/8919-kidder-rd-sherman/imported-photos-00010.jpg (broken link)

Old 05-18-2010, 06:31 AM

BigD

It is a propane log stove....here is the listing detailing the specifics. Believe me, I was very surprised it wasn't wood.

Howard & Associates » Family Retreat Cabin In Mina * Findley Lake Property (PRICE REDUCED) (http://www.findleylake-property.com/lakefront/new-listing-family-retreat-cabin-in-mina-findley-lake-property/ - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area