Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2010, 08:31 AM

24 posts, read 76,011 times

Advertisements

I am in the preliminary stages of getting an outdoor roller hockey rink built in the North Tonawanda area. I have lived in WNY for a little over 2 years and I am surprised that there are practically no outdoor hockey surfaces considering how popular the sport is here. An outdoor rink would be a great way to get our kids outside more and it would save families thousands of dollars in league fees.

It seems like I would need to raise between $45,000-$90,000 to get a regulation size rink built with full boards, flooring, & nets without ANY city funds. I am considering corporate sponsorships and fundraisers to do so.

I am trying to gauge the support I would receive from the community and I am looking for ideas on where good places to put the rink would be. Any feedback is appreciated!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2010, 08:12 PM

1,049 posts, read 3,856,761 times
Before you raise the funds, you will need to secure a place that it is going to go, which it sounds like you are doing. Who will own the rink if not the city? Who will purchase insurance? charge admission etc etc. If it's not a non-profit any donations are not tax deductible, so there goes a lot of avenues.

In regard to corporate sponsorships, assuming you are the owner of the rink, what about those vendors that actually are involved in making money through roller hockey.

How would it save money for those in league in regard to fees? I would imagine if you own it, you would have to charge to rent out the rink for practice?

Old 05-16-2010, 09:33 PM

9,130 posts, read 20,009,690 times
Good luck!

I have not played roller hockey in some time (although I would love to get back into it). Outdoors in the nice weather, with a good rink, would be awesome! The biggest drawback is probably the seasonable nature of such a rink, but if you can make it work then it would be terrific!

Old 05-17-2010, 10:36 AM

This would be a town owned rink that there would be no fee for playing on. Think of it in the same regards as a tennis or basketball court. Sure, a town youth league could be developed in the summers but the primary purpose of the rink would be to give people from the area a place for pick up games and exercise.

I am originally from New Jersey and there are at least half a dozen outdoor hockey rinks in the area that people can use at their leisure. I just think it's time both kids and adults in our area had somewhere they could play a sport they love without the burden of league dues. Plus, it's always good to get kids outside!

Old 05-18-2010, 05:51 AM

Please visit my facebook page..."North Tonawanda Outdoor Roller Hockey Rink"

Old 05-19-2010, 05:20 PM

185 posts, read 418,514 times
they have one in kaiser town too

Old 05-24-2010, 12:25 PM

1,619 posts, read 2,734,265 times
good luck!!!! i haven't been on in a long time and i love the idea of a outdoor roller rink

Old 06-17-2010, 06:48 AM

Thank you for your support. I now have a few estimates for the total cost and the support of the Chamber of Commerce of the Tonawandas. The next step is getting in front of town government. Please show your support by visiting the "North Tonawanda Outdoor Roller Hockey Rink" facebook page and signing the online petition
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area