Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2010, 08:39 AM

9 posts, read 21,263 times

Advertisements

OK, so I just moved to Vermont. I don't regret it one single bit as it has been my long term dream. Anyway, I'm having trouble making social connections that are age appropriate. Me, I'm just your average 27 year old guy trying to make friends (guys and girls).

I'm in the process of joining the local FD, being a firefighter back home I'm not expecting much of a social scene.

As far as work goes, I work the overnight shift and it is a bit desolate as well as being in an age vacuum for my age group. I'm also not a fan of being all that social at work.

I even tried the online dating thing, but that is totally worthless.

I've thought of going out to the bars on church st but I don't like drinking alone...and I definitely don't want to pay the solo cab fare back to Essex unless I know I am going to enjoy myself.

Seriously, does anyone have an idea or two that can get me socializing a bit with people in my age range.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2010, 09:10 AM

1,822 posts, read 5,133,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTDrew View Post
Seriously, does anyone have an idea or two that can get me socializing a bit with people in my age range.

Welcome! Congratulations on making it to Vermont as you wanted to. I hope you find everything you want and need.

For meeting people, here's what's worked for me at every age (not just in my almost-late-40s, as I am now ): Figure out what I care about and join vibrant local efforts to make it better.

Not only does volunteering help you offer even more than you obviously already do for your community, but it's fun and it's a total mate-magnet -- people who do good are attracted to other people who do good!

For example, I am passionate about helping animals in need so I volunteer with local animal organizations. In the Burlington area, there are lots of groups helping animals and doing countless other good things: preserving Lake Champlain & Vermont's natural environment; helping seniors, children, & others who need support; hospice; the local performing and fine arts scene; literacy; health & wellness; you name it.

I mean that literally! You name it -- tell us what you're interested in -- and I'll help you find active groups that include people your age who are doing the good work.

Old 07-19-2010, 10:18 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,270,631 times
Try searching on Meetup.org for groups in the area that might interest you. Seven Days (local alternative rag) is a great resource for classes. events etc if you have not discovered it yourself yet.

Old 07-19-2010, 12:23 PM

2,062 posts, read 3,962,982 times
Yeah, I was going to suggest Meetup or even Craigslist as well, but volunteering is definitely a great idea too...overnight shift will make it harder but shouldn't be impossible...good luck!

Old 07-19-2010, 12:26 PM

986 posts, read 2,334,358 times
I made friends here in Providence by going to a weekly beer tasting at a local liquor store. I became a regular and became friends with other regulars, including the owner.

Old 07-19-2010, 04:03 PM

1,792 posts, read 4,663,056 times
If you have any hobbies or like athletics there are plenty of groups, leagues, etc in the area. I work nites as well and I always have time and opportunity to fit stuff in. Since you are in the FD, you might even try to befriend some people at the rescue. I work at the hospital and I would say most people who work rescue at night are younger. If you don't like going out alone, maybe going out with a few people from work will help you network.

Old 07-21-2010, 12:15 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,865,191 times
when you join the FD you will make lots of friends.

Old 07-25-2010, 09:17 PM

9 posts, read 21,263 times
Lets try to briefly answer everyone before I have to leave for work.
I'm interested in animal rescue but volunteering in the past with that has totally messed up my head (I really like dogs and have trouble seeing all those without homes, it just seems so much simpler to take them all home)

The FD is taking forever to fully process my information, but I'm looking forward to it.

The hockey leagues haven't contacted me back...and ski season is quite a bit away.

I did not find meet up to be very efficient.

More ideas welcome but I have to leave for work now.

Old 07-26-2010, 05:19 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,270,631 times
I think once hockey season nears you may hear from people. If not, try again. I know Cairns Arena in South Burlington has lots of hockey related activities so it may be worth giving them a call for ideas if you have not done so already.
How about taking classes through City Arts or the Recreation Dept? Thats another way to meet like minded folk.
I'm surprised the FD is taking so long to get back to you. From everything I hear most volunteer departments are in dire need of people!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT