Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2011, 07:49 AM

2 posts, read 4,799 times

Advertisements

Good morning! My husband and I have a five year old daughter and two small dogs (shih tzus) We have lived in New York all our lives and are looking for a small house for rent. We are a little nervous about the move because we don't have family or friends in Vermont, they are all in New York. We just want a better quality of life. New York is expensive and a miserable. As any parent would I have concerns about our daughter making new friends and changing to a new school. Of course I plan on getting her involved in extra activities.
My husband is an IT network engineer consultant and can sometimes work remotely from home. I also work from home.
I would love some feedback please. We are looking to move within the next 90 days. Thank you kindly...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2011, 08:40 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,270,631 times
Stowe is a small tourist oriented community. Lots of transients (meaning second home owners and seasonal workers) and lots of tourist related traffic (though nothing like what you have down in the City). If you rely on high speed internet access make sure it's available to you.
I would suggest you look into the greater Burlington area over Stowe. It would be an easier transition for you.

Old 01-24-2011, 09:55 AM

2 posts, read 4,799 times
Thanks!

Old 01-24-2011, 10:53 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,865,191 times
will he commute back to the city when he can't telecommute?

it sounds like you are in a good position for a move since you don't need to worry much about a job?

i would start asking yourself what you are looking for specifically

great schools for your daughter for example, medical care close by, what kind of activities do you like, shopping, eating, etc.

Old 01-24-2011, 12:01 PM

2,062 posts, read 3,962,982 times
We live in Queens and have a condo in Stowe...for us it was more of an investment since we rent it out as much as we can. Living in Stowe is flat out expensive, the taxes are some of the highest in the state. The schools are good, from what I hear, but they've been cutting programs to keep the budget in check. And I echo the tourist statement Vter made above.

Burlington will give you lots of options for shopping, neighborhoods, restaurants...plus the airport is right there so you can hop on a flight to come back whenever you want. There are some posters here who can give you detailed info on neighborhoods and schools, etc.

Old 01-24-2011, 07:53 PM

986 posts, read 2,334,358 times
As a tourist, Stowe is the only place in VT I try to avoid. It's the only place I've ever experienced traffic up there. The town is pretty, but I'd go so far as to say Burlington is more VT than Stowe (for all those people who say Burlington is not VT).

Old 01-25-2011, 09:59 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,385,141 times
I live near Stowe and agree that it's a beautiful area with a great quality of life. However, I agree with the posters who have suggested you look in the Burlington area. It would be an easier transition, imo, b/c of its proximity to shopping, the hospital, the airport, etc.
I wouldn't move to Burlington if I had kids, b/c the quality of the schools very depending on your neighborhood and the real estate is expensive, but South Burlington, Williston and Colchester are all nearby with great schools, outdoor recreation opportunities and lots of transplants from the NY area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT