Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 08:28 AM

3 posts, read 7,675 times

Advertisements

Might Burlington, VT be similar to Seattle in culture? My family just moved from Seattle to the Boston area last April and to make a long story short, we hate it here. As much as I'd love to move back to the Northwest, we're trying to stay near extended family in Western MA and NY. We're looking for a place with access to nature, friendly people, progressive ideas, polite drivers, and a more relaxed, laid-back culture. We like Vermont's laws on naturopaths and immunizations. Yes, the weather is quite different than Seattle, but at least it's a bit cooler than Boston. We are a young family looking for a good place to raise our kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2011, 12:38 PM

3,459 posts, read 10,298,639 times
The Burlington area has the qualities you mention...BUT....what about work? Not only is the housing market very tight, the job market is too.
EDIT: Also...I'd consider checking out Portland, Maine.

Old 02-19-2011, 06:57 AM

459 posts, read 1,039,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cam15 View Post
Might Burlington, VT be similar to Seattle in culture? My family just moved from Seattle to the Boston area last April and to make a long story short, we hate it here. As much as I'd love to move back to the Northwest, we're trying to stay near extended family in Western MA and NY. We're looking for a place with access to nature, friendly people, progressive ideas, polite drivers, and a more relaxed, laid-back culture. We like Vermont's laws on naturopaths and immunizations. Yes, the weather is quite different than Seattle, but at least it's a bit cooler than Boston. We are a young family looking for a good place to raise our kids.
It depends.
Are you independently wealthy? If so, Burlington might be for you.
If you're intending to support yourself and your family on earned income, stay away from Burlington and Vermont in general.

Old 02-19-2011, 11:58 AM

1,348 posts, read 3,111,481 times
You say you have extended family in Western Mass,have you not heard of Northampton. Though nowhere near the size of Seattle it has that type of feel. It is also a 1.5 hour drive to Boston,2.5 to NYC and about 3.5 to Burlington.

Old 02-19-2011, 07:40 PM

62 posts, read 161,308 times
Can I trade places with you? I moved to Seattle from the northeast in June and am ready to go home already.

All kidding aside, lower New England is definitely more hustle and bustle (especially with the drivers, who are downright aggressive) than the Pacific Northwest. Upper New England will be calmer and more rural, but with nastier winters. Are you working in the Boston area? I've known people who live in northern Connecticut and parts of New Hampshire who commute to Boston. I don't know if that would be practical for you or not. Portland is suppposed to be really nice, but also gets very harsh winter weather. I only mention that because I've seen how people in Seattle react to snow (it isn't pretty).

As far as friendliness goes...it depends on what you consider friendly. New England gets stereotyped a lot for being an aloof culture, but then again so does the Pacific Northwest. People in Maine, Vermont, and New Hampshire won't be as in your face as Bostonians or transplanted New Yorkers, but you may have a tough time breaking in with people.

Old 02-23-2011, 05:08 AM

9,339 posts, read 16,724,934 times
You might check into Saratoga NY and the outlying areas in the Adirondacks.

Old 02-25-2011, 08:11 AM

38 posts, read 91,858 times
I would also suggest checking out Portland, ME. It's close enough to Boston you guys could take a quick weekend trip to take a look around.

Burlington is a great place but it's more of a town than a city. Portland is still much smaller than Seattle but I think is more in line with what you're looking for.

Old 02-25-2011, 09:54 AM

326 posts, read 928,870 times
I vote for Northampton, MA

Old 02-26-2011, 07:52 AM

986 posts, read 2,340,377 times
Portland, ME, Portsmouth, NH, Burlington, and maybe even Brattleboro, VT are probably the closest you'll get to the feel of Seattle. Northampton is nice, but it lacks the polite drivers that you'll find up north. Someone mentioned that people commute from parts of NH. Those parts of NH might as well be Boston suburbs (in fact, they really are). I'd throw in Concord, NH as well.

I'd normally throw in Providence, but while within the city, you have a lot of the qualities you're looking for, the people outside the city who come in for work lack them. What it has over all those other cities is that it's bigger, more jobs, more going on, etc. But you're not going to find a ton of polite drivers here. You're also not as close to nature as some of those other ones, but most of RI is very rural and within 20 min, you're outside of the city and into a beautiful rural area. It's pretty flat though, but we're 2-3 hours from the mountains of VT and NH and half an hour from some of the best beaches in the northeast.

Old 03-02-2011, 02:37 PM

1,475 posts, read 4,152,409 times
Portland hands down
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT