Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2011, 11:20 PM

1 posts, read 2,515 times

Advertisements

My girlfriend and I will soon be graduating from a state school in northern NY (where there are absolutely no jobs) and we're planning on moving in together. We recently visited Burlington and both loved the feel of the place, she's planning on going to grad school at UVM and working part time while I work full time. I've lurked on here a bit and found quite a few posts mentioning the high cost of living and general lack of employment in Burlington. My expectations for a job aren't incredibly high but I would generally like to avoid anything fast food-esque and be able to pay for half of a decent one bedroom apartment. Am I being realistic or are things in Vermont really as bad as they seem?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2011, 12:29 PM

3 posts, read 6,851 times
Burlington is a great town, however "good paying" jobs are very hard to find, and what I mean by "good paying" is making enough to pay for the cost of living in Burlington. Depending on your background you might be fine, especially if you have a degree in something less specific, like say, business.

If you're interested in living in downtown Burlington you're looking at around $900 a month for rent minimum for a one bedroom and thats nothing included (electric,gas,water,etc) for an apartment that hasn't been trashed by college students or neglected by absentee landlords. Now add to that food costs (easily 100$ a month for 2 people and thats staying home 24/7) and then add any outings on to church st and you're likely looking at between 1200 and 1500 a month in expenses on the low end of things. ($1100/month was what my budget shows for just me living in downtown less than 5 years ago)
Some of this can be reduced if you get into a bigger place and have roommates but they're likely going to be UVM students as that is what the majority of the city has.

I lived in downtown for several years just outside of the "student ghetto" which is an area that extends from pearl street beverage (corner of Pearl and N Union st) to N Prospect St encompassing all of the streets in between and I strongly advise staying away from that area despite the potential for a slightly cheaper rent, there are parties at all hours, students roaming and being loud, generally not a solid area. You're going to want to look in the south end, that is where the best apartments seemed to be when I lived there or heading more toward 7. The old north end is another choice but it is extremely spotty, some good streets and some horrible as it is considerably more rundown than the rest of the city.

All of that being said I enjoyed Burlington, I'd move back in a heart beat if I had the chance, it has an excellent vibe and people seem very pleasant there compared to people ive met from elsewhere in the country but unfortunately I don't see the cost of living coming down there anytime soon as their high tech, high science or high anything industries simply do not exist outside of working for UVM/FAHC which doesn't seem to do an awful lot of hiring unless you're a nurse.

My 2 cents, I hope they were helpful.

Old 03-29-2011, 11:02 AM

400 posts, read 851,267 times
Is it even possible to feed two people for $100/mo? Maybe if you ate nothing but top ramen, but I haven't been able to get out of the grocery store for less than $50 for about 10 years...and that was when I was just "getting a few things". I have $400/mo budgeted for food for the both of us, and frankly I think I'm being unrealistic and that the budget value is sadly to low. Granted cleaning supplies and stuff is included, but I'm not including eating out.

Old 03-29-2011, 06:06 PM

3 posts, read 6,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_jimerino View Post
Is it even possible to feed two people for $100/mo? Maybe if you ate nothing but top ramen, but I haven't been able to get out of the grocery store for less than $50 for about 10 years...and that was when I was just "getting a few things". I have $400/mo budgeted for food for the both of us, and frankly I think I'm being unrealistic and that the budget value is sadly to low. Granted cleaning supplies and stuff is included, but I'm not including eating out.
I was using that as a bare minimum but sure you can, when I was living alone I could get by on $50 a month at the grocery store and that was eating lots of pasta (price chopper often had the buy 1 get 1 box for a buck and change), making huge pot of pasta sauce, making meat and bean chili, red beans and brown rice, lentil and split pea w/ham soup fixings, heads of lettuce and eggs. I think I ate pretty well, definitely not top ramen. For 2 people $400 would be eating like kings. My biggest problem was going to the grocery store without a planned out list of what I needed, then i'd spend tons, once I stuck to a list I cut back expenses quite a bit. It might be repetitive eating too, I would eat a whole pot of chili over the course of a week for dinner.

Old 03-30-2011, 06:08 AM

1,475 posts, read 4,150,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerVTer View Post
Burlington is a great town, however "good paying" jobs are very hard to find, and what I mean by "good paying" is making enough to pay for the cost of living in Burlington. Depending on your background you might be fine, especially if you have a degree in something less specific, like say, business.

If you're interested in living in downtown Burlington you're looking at around $900 a month for rent minimum for a one bedroom and thats nothing included (electric,gas,water,etc) for an apartment that hasn't been trashed by college students or neglected by absentee landlords. Now add to that food costs (easily 100$ a month for 2 people and thats staying home 24/7) and then add any outings on to church st and you're likely looking at between 1200 and 1500 a month in expenses on the low end of things. ($1100/month was what my budget shows for just me living in downtown less than 5 years ago)
Some of this can be reduced if you get into a bigger place and have roommates but they're likely going to be UVM students as that is what the majority of the city has.

I lived in downtown for several years just outside of the "student ghetto" which is an area that extends from pearl street beverage (corner of Pearl and N Union st) to N Prospect St encompassing all of the streets in between and I strongly advise staying away from that area despite the potential for a slightly cheaper rent, there are parties at all hours, students roaming and being loud, generally not a solid area. You're going to want to look in the south end, that is where the best apartments seemed to be when I lived there or heading more toward 7. The old north end is another choice but it is extremely spotty, some good streets and some horrible as it is considerably more rundown than the rest of the city.

All of that being said I enjoyed Burlington, I'd move back in a heart beat if I had the chance, it has an excellent vibe and people seem very pleasant there compared to people ive met from elsewhere in the country but unfortunately I don't see the cost of living coming down there anytime soon as their high tech, high science or high anything industries simply do not exist outside of working for UVM/FAHC which doesn't seem to do an awful lot of hiring unless you're a nurse.

My 2 cents, I hope they were helpful.
Excellent advice, although getting an apt. for $900 that doesn't smell will be a challenge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT
View detailed profiles of: