Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2014, 02:04 PM

15 posts, read 10,527 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone!

I just recently moved to Vermont from Miami Beach, FL in order to finally live with my fiance. Despite the fact I no longer have a beach a few feet away, I absolutely adore the hiking, food, and "isolation" of VT.

Since moving here about 3 weeks ago, I have begun job hunting. I am curious as to how is the job market in the surrounding areas of Burlington? What are the possibilities?
Having heard "horror" stories of the market being not so great, I wonder what are the local opinions.

My background is a BA in History with honors, and minor coursework in Biology. So far, I have been looking into secondary schools, state jobs, and university positions. I have over 2 years of high school counseling and teaching experience, and basically can learn new concepts within hours if not days.

Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2014, 02:21 PM

3,459 posts, read 10,300,408 times
Have you checked Seven Days for job listings? They are the print publication of choice for job listings. The Burlington Free Press also has listings but not as many as Seven Days.

Old 10-26-2014, 09:45 PM

5 posts, read 7,441 times
I would try dealer.com they are growing very fast. Tons of jobs open in Burlington, very cool office, they pay very well, and great benefits to employees. Also My Web Grocer has been hiring alot of people recently in winooski. Fletcher Allen Healthcare which is univ of vermont hospital is always hiring people im sure there are jobs open online. Maybe a staffing agency if your looking for some work very quickly?

I don't want to be a preacher but have some real experience in this so i would offer some advice. You might wanna consider online jobs or look for career fairs? Also i would look at the colleges in the area they all have jobs posted online u of vermont, st michaels champlain college, suny plattsbugh it seems like you have the most experience in that field.

Its very frustrating and hard to find a job anywhere in 2014 but being a history major I'm sorry to say is really not gonna help as you know sadly everyone wants you to walk in the door with the skills to start doing the job right away. It stinks but its the reality in 2014 they really want you to who have the exact skills already for the position before you walk thru the door not a quick learner. They want engineers, geographers, math majors, computer programmers, proven sales records, marketing/advertising portfolios of proven successful work, those are the people who can find jobs quickly right now. Its a horrible market for recent graduates with normal degrees and less experience so i would consider something where your upward potential is the most even if it doesn't pay the most right now.

If i were new to the area, and wanted a job right away i might consider working at a hotel like the sheraton, hilton, hotel vermont even at the front desk or something. There is lots of upward potential for college graduates in hospitality and you don't need exact skills to get hired and usually start right away. Also great discounts if you plan on getting married or for your honeymoon? Just throwing that out there as a job you can probably get pretty quickly and there will be lots of upward potential sales coordinators, front desk manger, and the burlington area has tons of hotels.

Finding a job is really tough anywhere right now. Burlington is better than most places with very low unemployent FYI way lower than south florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT