Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 11:38 PM

53 posts, read 179,168 times

Advertisements

I am thinking of taking a job in Burlington, but know nothing about the city. Could someone please tell me alittle about it? I will be moving from HI, I have never been to VT. How horrible are the winters? Are people Liberal or conservative? Are there options for vegatarians? How is the music scene? Are there many young people (in 20s) (preferably those with tattoos) Also, have been looking online, and see many rentals in S. Burlington. Are they close? Is there a huge difference? Are there places such as Target, Walmart, Costco? How is the school system? Hmmm...lets see anything else.....is the town very dog friendly? Thanks for all the help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2009, 12:58 AM

28 posts, read 85,104 times
The winters are severe, whether they are horrible is up to you. I have not yet been through my first but I am looking forward to it. People are mostly very liberal but there are a few conservatives around, nothing particularly wrong with a little diversity though. The place is almost certainly very vegetarian friendly but I couldn't say for sure because I am a meatatarian. The music scene is very vibrant and active with lots of local bands and a couple of nice venues where bigger bands play. This is a college town so there are tons of young people here, and I'm sure lots of them will have tattoos. S.Burlington is very close to Burlington, the towns are practically intertwined and there are regular buses you can take if you don't have a car. I couldn't comment on differences betwene the towns though. There is a Wal-mart in Williston which is about 20 minutes away on the bus, no target or costco but everything you could possibly need or want is there. There are 5 or 6 huge shopping malls in the Burlington area so if anything you will be spoiled for choice. No idea about schools and dogs.

Old 08-14-2009, 06:31 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,264,752 times
There is a Costco in Colchester. Only 2 malls. University Mall and Burlington Town Center. Lots of big boxes in Williston. I'll write more later....

Old 08-14-2009, 09:12 AM

I guess I was erroneously referring to the clusters of box stores as malls. In any case, there are several locations where you can buy lots of stuff:

Burlington Town Center mall
University Mall (tons including Sears and JCPenney)
Williston stores (mainly Wal-mart, Best Buy, Staples)
Price Chopper, Shaws and TJMaxx south of Burlington
Essex Shopping Center (Big Lots, Mac's supermarket and a few smaller stores)
Essex Shops & Cinema
and apparently Colchester shops which I didn't know about because bizzarely no public transport goes there

Like I said, spoiled for choice.

Old 08-14-2009, 11:32 AM

1,475 posts, read 4,141,564 times
The main difference is that there are almost no middle class families in Burlington and South Burlington is mostly middle class families. Burlington is made up of wealthy families and yuppies, single young people and college kids paying lots of money for small apartments, and lower-middle to lower class families living on the north end. The two places couldn't be have more of a different feel even though they are five minutes apart. Lots of folks in South Burlington would like a Burlington apartment but can't find/or afford one.

Plenty of libs and vegetarians both places. Lots of tatoos etc.

Music scene. For the biggest acts you need to go to Albany/Manchester NH/Montreal. Medium size bands comer to the Flynn every now and then. Bands on the rise and decline come to higher ground.

The lack of sun in Burlington could get to you from HI. It's one of the cloudiest places in the country.

Old 08-14-2009, 02:51 PM

3,459 posts, read 10,264,752 times
The New North End of Burlington is middle class. It's the "forgotten" Burlington IMO. Not easy to get to, not "visible" to those visiting. Very suburban feeling.
The others have chimed in on Burlington/South Burlington. They kinda blend together in a commercial sense. SB has lots of older suburban neighborhoods and lots of new higher end development. The airport is there, lots of retail. Lots of condos.
Lots of folks have dogs and there a few dog parks around. You'll see tattoos. The area is very veg friendly.
Can you come visit before you make a move?
OH, and Astorothcy....when I think mall I think the traditional enclosed kind. You're right...lots of shopping plazas around. Sadly no Target though!

Old 08-15-2009, 02:44 PM

Not sure I can visit first. Are there any bad areas to be aware of?

Old 08-15-2009, 06:24 PM

1,475 posts, read 4,141,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vter View Post
The New North End of Burlington is middle class. It's the "forgotten" Burlington IMO. Not easy to get to, not "visible" to those visiting. Very suburban feeling.
Would this area have a movie theatre/complex? I may know what you are talking about. Around and past the DMV?

Old 08-15-2009, 08:53 PM

I read in another post something abt bugs, are there plenty bugs there?

Old 08-15-2009, 09:06 PM

Yeah, but nothing really devastating. My windows have mesh screens so I never have any bugs in the house. I've been walking around a lot so I get maybe a couple mosquito bites a day but whatever, it's really not that big a deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT