Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2015, 03:23 PM

88 posts, read 196,797 times

Advertisements

Hello again!

I've already posted in this forum about potentially relocating to an affordable yet rural area near Burlington with my boyfriend in the next year or so from Austin, TX. This forum has been very helpful to me, and I was hoping to pose another question on it.

The reason why we are hoping to stay within reasonable driving distance to Burlington is because my boyfriend currently works as an EMT, and we hope to secure a job in the city's trauma center for him before we actually left Austin. He may be joining the fire academy here January, and if so- might even attempt to work for the fire department there, too.

My trajectory, however, is geared towards agriculture. I have always loved working outdoors, and have a real passion for farming and self sustainability, but coming from the city (even if it is in Texas) the opportunities to work on a farm without having been raised on one are pretty slim. While living in upstate NY for a brief amount of time, I did get the opportunity to try out working in a vineyard and, while it isn't the same as what I would like to do as far as farming is concerned, loved being in the vines and knew that that sort of work was what I was meant to do. Its where my heart and mind are at all times.

That all being said, I was wondering if it would be incredibly difficult for someone as green as I am to find a job on a farm in the same areas we are hoping to live (somewhere rural,but close to Burlington). Is the farming community in Vermont as closed off as it is here in Texas? Is it easy to find work on one, especially since I'll work on any sort of farm (dairy, orchard, etc.)? Honestly, I hardly even know how or what to ask in this particular thread. Other than growing my own vegetables and herbs, and my small stint on a vineyard, I have zero experience with farm work.

Thanks again for any responses!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2015, 12:43 PM

1,344 posts, read 1,379,140 times
My information is old (1992-1996) but I will chime in and then let others contradict or update me.

My experience, also coming from the city, was that I could stay busy all day if I wanted to, offering free help on peoples' farms - this is especially true if you find people who need help with haying. After you establish yourself as someone who is reliable and whose help is worth having, you could probably find paid work on a farm or two. However, what you might discover is that the pay is so incredibly low that you will choose to earn your money doing one type of work, while continuing to work for free on the farm(s), until you can afford to have your own. I myself found that I would far rather help unload a hay wagon for free than for, say, $6/hour. What was fulfilling when done to help out friends, became grueling when it had a super-low rate of return on it. Perhaps that's just me. Same with working with horses - I'd far rather help muck out stalls and do other horse chores for free for 3-4 hours per day, for and with friends, and earn money more efficiently elsewhere, than get paid way below minimum wage to work with the horses full time.

Another place you might look at for outdoor work, besides what you have mentioned, is seasonal work at nurseries.

Last thing: Although I talk about working "for free," I should stress that we received ALL SORTS of benefits, tangible and intangible, when we gave our time and labor to our friends who had farms.

Old 10-19-2015, 02:44 PM

23,622 posts, read 70,554,955 times
It could be as close as walking in the Intervale and asking questions, it could be as close as going to the UVM extension service and asking about becoming a "master gardener", or you could do what gemini1963 did. Be warned that real farm work is backbreaking and often dangerous work that can age you faster than most drug abuse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT
View detailed profiles of: