Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2016, 06:22 PM

836 posts, read 1,255,308 times

Advertisements

What do you think of the concept of labelling the Burlington and Plattsburgh areas as "twin cities"?

Here, I'm not providing Minneapolis and St. Paul as examples, since they're way closer physically than Burlington and Plattsburgh. I think that Dallas and Fort Worth would be a better comparison, as they're 35 miles apart. In all these cases, the twins have quite different personalities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2016, 10:02 PM

23,591 posts, read 70,383,686 times
"Twins" ???

Twins (1988) - IMDb

Old 09-30-2016, 06:29 AM

What I really mean is that, especially in the Champlain Valley and in Montreal where I live, we often refer to "Burlington and Plattsburgh" or "Plattsburgh and Burlington" - in other words, that those two cities are lumped together as if they're twin cities.

And on the insignia of the local TV stations like WPTZ, there is "Burlington - Plattsburgh [often as well: - Montreal]" or "Plattsburgh - Burlington [often as well: - Montreal]". Plus, WPTZ at least was based in Plattsburgh rather than the Burlington area but has served Burlington and all of Vermont in general as well.

Old 09-30-2016, 07:03 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,948,491 times
Hard to think of them as twin cities to me. When I lived in Burlington I never knew anyone that went to Plattsburgh for anything. Sometimes the ferry for transit, but it wasn't to hang out in Plattsburgh.

Old 09-30-2016, 08:37 AM

4,668 posts, read 3,897,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yofie View Post
What do you think of the concept of labelling the Burlington and Plattsburgh areas as "twin cities"?

Here, I'm not providing Minneapolis and St. Paul as examples, since they're way closer physically than Burlington and Plattsburgh. I think that Dallas and Fort Worth would be a better comparison, as they're 35 miles apart. In all these cases, the twins have quite different personalities.
I think you mean Dallas and Fort Worth city centers are 35 miles apart. The cities are built up to each other, just like Minneapolis and St Paul. I'm pretty sure it's over an hour to get from Burlington to Plattsburgh, by ferry or driving.

In my opinion, to be a twin city, the two cities city limits need to be touching. Like KCKS and KCMO.

Old 09-30-2016, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
I think you mean Dallas and Fort Worth city centers are 35 miles apart. The cities are built up to each other, just like Minneapolis and St Paul. I'm pretty sure it's over an hour to get from Burlington to Plattsburgh, by ferry or driving.

In my opinion, to be a twin city, the two cities city limits need to be touching. Like KCKS and KCMO.
The city limits of Dallas and Fort Worth do not touch each other. Cities like Grande Prairie, Irving, and Arlington, not to mention Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport, are located between Dallas and Forth Worth.

Old 09-30-2016, 09:24 AM

4,668 posts, read 3,897,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yofie View Post
The city limits of Dallas and Fort Worth do not touch each other. Cities like Grande Prairie, Irving, and Arlington, not to mention Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport, are located between Dallas and Forth Worth.
I see, I always thought they touched. But still according to this map, the city limits are about 4-5 miles from each other at their closest point. There may even be more up to date maps with expanded city limits.

Anyway, I'm guessing the areas between Dallas and Forth Worth are built up? It probably doesn't feel like one is ever leaving the city. To get from Burlington to Plattsburgh, one has to drive through some fairly rural areas right?

https://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/texa...rtworth_01.jpg

I couldn't find any maps that show a Burlington/Plattsburgh region either. The cities may have some sort of special connection due to being at opposite sides of Lake Champlain and having a ferry connect them, but I think calling them twin cities is a stretch.

Old 09-30-2016, 09:40 AM

Even though rural areas do separate Burlington and Plattsburgh, and those cities aren't even directly connected by ferry to each other (rather, Burlington-Port Kent, NY and Plattsburgh-Grande Isle, VT), one argument for labelling Burlington and Plattsburgh "twin cities" is that they share a media market, as I hinted at earlier.

Old 09-30-2016, 10:13 AM

23,591 posts, read 70,383,686 times
The problem is, they don't even really share a media market. Newspapers in Vermont rarely gave more than a passing glance at stories from across the lake, the shopping markets (and hence advertisers) are unique, and the issue with WPTZ was more that the local advertising revenues were poor and the signal reached the greater market in Vermont and it needed those to survive. In order to lure Burlington area advertisers (and fill air time), WPTZ had to cover Burlington news stories. FWIW, Channel 8, WMTW on top of Mt. Washington in New Hampshire also reached into the market as well, even though the station headquarters was no where near Vermont.

I'd have to dig deep, but I seem to remember that the original licenses for the stations were granted based on service to local communities, and with WCAX linked with UVM, it was unassailable. However, because it was Vermont-centric, a station in Plattsburgh did have a chance of getting approved. Channel 22 only got in because the UHF frequencies had been opened up and the restrictions that prevented signals from interfering with each other were much easier on the UHF bands.

Old 09-30-2016, 10:23 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,345,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Hard to think of them as twin cities to me. When I lived in Burlington I never knew anyone that went to Plattsburgh for anything. Sometimes the ferry for transit, but it wasn't to hang out in Plattsburgh.
This applies to a lot of people from the Twin Cities of Minnesota, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT