Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2017, 04:02 PM

114 posts, read 111,611 times

Advertisements

I've had my eye on Burlington for almost a year now, it just seems like a very compelling town. I currently live in my hometown, a city of about 87-88K in northern California right now and I really like it, but I'm unsure of the opportunities I'll have in my field when I finish college in December, 2017. I've noticed the past few months a couple of jobs on LinkedIn located in Burlington, which gives me an interesting insight into what the culture may be like in Burlington.

I produce film and video content, and so I saw a couple of jobs for a video editor there, which has me wondering if Burlington's a pretty great kind of "alternative" for creative types? I feel like I'd much sooner live there rather than New York, and LA's not an option.

I think the stereotype, at least for a lot of people out here, is that the New England area tends to be populated by older people, and that it lacks a sense of vibrancy and innovation. I'm not saying I necessarily buy into that, and frankly even if it were true that wouldn't be a deal breaker since I'm an introverted fellow who likes a quiet and slow-paced lifestyle. But is there any merit to that impression? How have things been trending in Burlington over the past, say, 10 years (has there been an influx in younger adults and families, or have things been shifting towards more of a retiree community)?

I'll be 30 in April, so if I were to get a job in the area right after graduating I would be a 30-something. Is Burlington a pretty good area for a single 30-something guy? I'm not necessarily expecting to find a lot of like-minded people or anything (I'm a conservative traditional Catholic) but that's okay since I often keep to myself anyway, I don't ram my views down other people's throats, hopefully that's reciprocated.

- How would you describe the culture of Burlington and the surrounding areas?

- Would you say that it leans towards a more youthful sort of environment? I realize the university probably lends a lot to the culture, but what about beyond that? Are there a notable number of young families in the community?

- Where I live now is considered pretty outdoorsy: a huge municipal park, mountains, lakes, etc 90 minutes away or less. Vermont generally seems like an outdoor state when the weather's suitable, is that an accurate observation? Lake Champlain seems to offer all kinds of recreation opportunities, are there some good wilderness areas for camping?

- I'm a baseball fiend, the idea of being on the other side of the continent from my beloved Giants is unfathomable, but I'll manage (thank God for MLB.tv). I see you guys have a Single-A affiliate of the Oakland A's, that's pretty awesome. Are they pretty popular with the town? Are games relatively affordable?

- It looks like housings costs tend to be about the same as they are here where I live now. Does the average person earn enough to be a home owner or is it more expedient to rent there? I'm also open to commuting a bit, being a Californian, I love to drive.

I may have more questions along the way, but these are a few silly ones that have been rattling around in my head.

Thanks for your input everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT
View detailed profiles of: