Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2017, 11:50 AM

46 posts, read 53,423 times

Advertisements

Hi!

I am making a much needed career change in mid-life. That might sound crazy, but I'm in good health and the way the economy is I will probably need to work another 20 years. So, I am looking into grad schools, and UVM has a 2 year program that meets my needs. I am considering relocating and have some questions.

I have lived in Seattle for over 20 years and still love it most of the time, although dealing with its massive gentrification and rapidly growing population can be a bummer. Burlington sounds like it has a lot of what I like about Seattle - beautiful mountain and water views, easy access to hiking, a well-read population, and progressive politics.

Questions:
How much would it cost to rent a decent (preferably quiet) studio apartment within walking distance from the school? How hard is it to find places that will accept pets? What's the overall cost of living like? I live pretty simply.

How easy/hard is it for middle aged singles to meet people around their own age? Seattle has really active Meetups and hiking/outdoor rec clubs through which it's pretty easy to meet new people.

I really like a good neighborhood coffeehouse/cafe. Seattle, of course, has a zillion, but I'd need access to only one or 2 good ones to be happy. I figure a college town like Burlington would have a few of those, are there some?

Re: weather. It sounds like summers and falls are really nice. I grew up in MD and miss fall colors. I've never lived somewhere that gets super cold, but I figure I can dress against it. I am leery about driving in the snow, but I have an AWD and I figure most people on the road would know what they are doing. When we get even an inch of snow in Seattle, the city shuts down. I know Vermont is far enough north that I'd have to suffer through super short days in the winter there too, but at least there'd be a lot more days with sun, right?

Thanks in advance for your responses!

S
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2017, 12:59 PM

41,936 posts, read 37,045,818 times
Burlington isn't as expensive as Seattle, but it is surprisingly expensive for a place it's size, and for the quality of the rentals available. I actually never found it much cheaper than living on the outskirts of Boston, where I had moved from when I lived in Burlington... its cheaper, but not as much as you'd think. COL is fairly high, especially compared to the wages. I can't speak to pets. I'm betting $1000-1200 + is doable.

There are plenty of coffee houses and cafes, and even more breweries. The brewery seen has really taken off in VT.

You shouldn't have to drive much if you live and go to school right near UVM. I often didn't touch the car for months in the winter, honestly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT