Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2009, 10:16 AM

2 posts, read 6,730 times

Advertisements

We are looking for a new home in Chittenden County. There was a brand new home we looked at, it was beautiful inside. We loved it at first sight. But when we took a closer look, we found cracks on the wall, some openings on the hardwood floor. The door connecting to the garage was hard to open. Does that mean they have a faulty foundation or could those be just cosmetic problems?

Since there is no building code in most areas in Vermont, we wish to know which builders are bad in reputation so that we can try avoid them.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2009, 12:04 PM

54 posts, read 166,814 times
Default Sterling Construction

I've heard a lot of positive things about this builder. I think he's putting up a new development in Hinesburg now.

Old 05-05-2009, 02:14 PM

1,405 posts, read 4,788,283 times
I have a professional property inspector I recommend, who looks at specific houses for my clients. The builder's reputation counts for a lot, but I also want somebody a lot better trained than I am to look at the house and the lot themselves. There are a dozen inspectors I've seen work. This guy's the best. ...and yes, I've used him for new properties as well. Ask friends in VT, and your Realtor, who they've used for property inspectors.

I'd also have a look at all the permits, disclosures, blueprints, and specs the builder should have available on site. Ask if an Act 250 permit was required for this development.

You might also ask your Realtor to put you in touch with a buyer who's recently purchased a home from the same builder. That homeowner will be glad to tell you all sorts of things about the responsiveness of the builder when problems arise and how the builders warrantee actually works ...in practice.

A visit to the town offices is always worthwhile too. You'll hear a lot just by asking about the neighborhood. Your Realtor can show you where and how to do this. We Yankees are often said not to talk terribly much. But ask somebody, perhaps a neighbor, (in the local store, or at the school, or at the town offices) for an opinion about the new development and the builder, ...and be prepared for a good chat.

Another terrific source of information is the Real Estate attorney who's going to search the title for you. If you find the right office, you'll pay a flat fee for a title search, have somebody asking the seller's attorney for all the permits which will be required, and have a paralegal who can answer questions on the phone without the meter and sending you a bill. You'll need one to purchase a home in VT (we're an attorney state, not a title company state) and the right one can make all the difference.

If you want an opinion on a specific builder, you can also contact the consumer fraud division of the VT attorney general. But don't be surprised if you don't find anything. Not finding anything is a good thing...

Old 05-05-2009, 06:59 PM

2,062 posts, read 3,962,982 times
We are thinking of building when we make the move, though we are looking into a smaller custom home for us as opposed to an already built new home. I have spoken to several builders in and around Burlington and came away with good impressions of a few, however, I have yet to meet with them in person or see any of their work. But these two builders are high on my 'possible' list:

Peregrine Design Build - Vermont Builders and Contractors
These guys have won several awards for their work, are members of the VT Green Building Network...they do seem to focus more on remodeling than building new but I had a very long, informative conversation with the owner several months ago.

Red House Building Inc. - Fine Homebuilding and Historic Restoration - Burlington, Vermont
These guys are also members of the VT Green Building Network and their work looks amazing. I know they are part of a project in Charlotte (do a search for William Hill VT) that is very, very green and sustainable. I also had a great conversation with one of the owners, and he sent me a lot of information that was very helpful.

Building green is very important to us, so obviously these companies may be a bit skewed towards our needs, but figured I'd send them along anyway. Good luck!!!

Old 05-06-2009, 07:55 AM

2 posts, read 6,730 times
Thank you all for the details. We don't work with an agent now, we are just looking around. We worry we might be under a lot of pressure if we have a realtor.

We want to buy a new home because we think it's probably care free. But maybe we are wrong. Thanks for tkln's recommendation. I logged on to their websites, it seems they have done a great job in remodelling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT