Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2010, 08:22 AM

274 posts, read 674,250 times

Advertisements

So, I am overwhelmed by the options here (this is a good thing!). If you are in Chittenden County and in a CSA, please tell me about it. What does it offer, what do you like about it, etc? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2010, 09:30 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,275,634 times
WOAH. Great minds think alike. I was just discussing CSAs and whether I should join one with a friend this morning!
CSA Results
For me, I need to weigh whether I would actually use everything I get. There are farmers markets in the area just about every day so I can always get my local foods at one of those.
With a CSA do you know what you are going to get in advance? I meal plan and that would be really helpful.
I'd be interested in hearing some suggestions/tips as well.

Old 02-27-2010, 09:49 AM

We did a CSA for three years back in NH. I found I liked three things about it:

1) The weekly bag of veggies were very convenient! Sure, I like to go to Farmers Markets but it was great to always count on having my weekly share if I couldn't get over to the market.
2) We learned how to cook veggies I normally wouldn't choose at a market. For instance, I would never buy Bok Choy but now we love it after receiving it in our share and having to figure out what to do with it.
3) We eat way more veggies when we have it (despite also being able to go to a market and buy what we need) because I hate to let anything spoil.

I just read that the Intervale one allows members to work off a portion of their share's cost. I would find that rewarding in more ways than one. But the YCC has also started one up to support their farm to school program and we'd like to support that effort. Hmmm...too many options!

Old 02-27-2010, 10:31 AM

1,822 posts, read 5,136,140 times
We LOVE our CSA. We enjoyed all the advantages momnh described. Since we've been buying a share (about 6 years), we eat more veggies in more variety. We've also discovered incredible treats like kale chips. Mmmmm!!!! Puts any junk food to shame for taste, texture, and nutrition.

When we can't eat everything we bring home, I blanch and freeze it in portion-sized packages. Then we have wonderful veggies in winter, too.

vter, many CSA farms will sell a 1/2-share. That can be a good place to start.

Old 02-27-2010, 08:37 PM

2,062 posts, read 3,965,533 times
We definitely eat a lot more veggies, and a bigger variety, due to our CSA. Ours gives us a look ahead in the weekly newsletter, but it's not always accurate - weather, etc, plays a huge role in what you get. But I find with most of the vegetables, I'm making a salad or a quick side dish, so I can use them up quickly during the week.

You also sort of get the feel of it as the year progresses...you get to know what vegetables are in season when, so you can figure out what you'll be cooking...

Old 02-27-2010, 08:38 PM

2,062 posts, read 3,965,533 times
Sorry - just realized - that was a reply to Vter's question about meal planning!!!

Old 02-28-2010, 12:47 AM

1,792 posts, read 4,665,184 times
CSA's are good as well as farmers markets, but if you have the time (not much required) grow your own. The cost is far cheaper and one thing I have found thanks to my grandmother is most CSA's and farms don't use heirloom seeds. They are often times far to difficult to grow on a large scale. If you are looking to get the highest nutritional value from vegtables, heiloom varieties are key.

Old 02-28-2010, 07:11 AM

Yeah, I plan on growing my own too so will only buy a small share for 1-2 people, so that I can get supplement what I grow and have a lot of variety. Thanks!

Old 02-28-2010, 09:03 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,275,634 times
We grow some of our own too - just the basics. Tomatoes, lettuce and peppers. I have a hard time growing root vegetables due to our soil and things like cukes and squash spread out too much for me to handle! Hmmm...can't wait for fresh local produce!
Momnh-a friend of mine suggested Goose Creek Farm on 2A in St. George, just south of Williston. I may check them out myself.

Old 03-07-2010, 06:56 AM

Thanks Vter, I'll check Goose Creek farm out. I'd like to support a farm that my kids can visit and roam a little so they have a little more connection to where our food comes from. Maybe they are the one.

Also, by the way, Boutin Farm in Williston has a different approach to CSAs than what I've seen so far. They offer "farm bucks" to spend at their farm stand or at the Williston Farmers Market. For $300 you get $330 in farm bucks to spend as you like. So, a 10% savings.

Here is an article from today's Free Press about CSAs: Farms embrace a new way to sell a season’s worth of food | The Burlington Free Press | Burlington, Vermont
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT