Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 09:03 AM

25 posts, read 105,466 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My boyfriend and I were looking into possibly visiting Burlington in summer 2010. We are twenty somethings and we are just looking to have a nice relaxing romantic vacation. I was wondering if anyone knew where the best places to stay were, what are some fun things to do, places to visit ect. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2009, 10:26 AM

2,143 posts, read 8,044,146 times
I can't tell you where to stay-too many great choices- but you will have a great time. So much to do, and such wonderful weather.

Old 10-27-2009, 11:48 AM

986 posts, read 2,337,516 times
How long are you going for? My wife and I went on our honeymoon up there in June 2006. It wasn't a "typical" honeymoon, but we had a great relaxing time. We more or less went on a "food and beer tour" of the state. We stayed in Stowe, which was affordable because it was the off-season (it was early June). We did a lot of road trips and spent a day in Burlington, including taking a ferry tour of the lake, which was fun, informative, and gorgeous. We did the Spirit of Ethan Allen cruise. I recommend it.

Old 11-01-2009, 07:02 AM

25 posts, read 105,466 times
Thanks for the input. We are thinking of going for 4-5 days at this time. Where did you stay in Stowe (was it a hotel or bed and breakfast)..it sounds like a perfect place for what we are looking for based on what you said you did. We kind of want to relax, check out some of the local restaurants and bars, and have fun. The cruise sounds great too!

Old 11-01-2009, 11:00 AM

63 posts, read 137,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meganrose323 View Post
Thanks for the input. We are thinking of going for 4-5 days at this time. Where did you stay in Stowe (was it a hotel or bed and breakfast)..it sounds like a perfect place for what we are looking for based on what you said you did. We kind of want to relax, check out some of the local restaurants and bars, and have fun. The cruise sounds great too!
I lived in Stowe for several years and vacationed there when I was young, and can say that it is a GREAT place to visit or vacation. We always stayed in hotels or a vacation rental, but I never heard negatives about the bed and breakfast places.

The best place we stayed at, by far, was the Edson Hill Manor. There is the main building with the dining room, offices, etc, and I think there are rooms upstairs, but we stayed in the rooms across from the main building. They were units side-by-side, all spacious with a wood-burning fireplace. It's located on the top of a hill and while there aren't exactly sweeping vista views, it's in a very woodsy, Vermont location and was just perfect. Summer is a great time to stay there. It's off of Mountain Road about, 10 minutes from downtown Stowe and I'd say 5-10 minutes to Mt. Mansfield.

Stowe has a few nice local restaurants/bars as well...Rusty Nail is one. Lots of great scenery in Stowe, very laid-back. I plan on going back many times.

Old 11-03-2009, 09:03 AM

986 posts, read 2,337,516 times
Quote:
We stayed at Ye Olde England Inn. The people there were very nice, though if you stay there, avoid the inn rooms and splurge on one of the bigger rooms. They're much nicer (the inn rooms are tiny). I think we were the only ones there for the first couple nights. If you like beer, Mr. Pickwick's Pub is in the Inn and has a great selection for the area. It's pretty expensive though, for both food and beer (though the food is good).

The Trapp Family Lodge is also supposed to be nice, but it was out of our price range.

Old 12-05-2009, 09:39 PM

29 posts, read 64,042 times
I don;t have any good lodging suggestions for Burlington, but there are plenty of places to stay. You might want to try a bed and breakfast in the area or there are some big hotels also, which are located right in town so you can walk to everything. Burlington in summer is great. Church street marketplace is a bit trendy but has a great vibe. Tons of people hanging out outside, bars, restuarants, galleries and shops. You could go to Nectars or Higher Ground and catch a live band.
The University of Vermont is right there so you can check out the campus and art museum.
Then there's lake Champlain, huge beautiful lake with kayaking or just hang and watch the sunset with everyone else.
I would recommend Stowe as more of a day trip, its nice, but small. Lots of shops.
You could however hike up to the top of Mt Mansfield and look back on Burlington. I recommend that also.
If you have a car, I also recommend driving out to the towns of Waitsfield and Warren. It's about 40 minutes from Burlington. Stop in at the Warren Country store for lunch. Best sandwiches in the state and a great funky store packed with oddities.
Go to Sevendaysvt.com. That's the local free paper in Burlington for good stuff also.
best,
zenminimalist

Old 12-05-2009, 11:07 PM

894 posts, read 1,562,733 times
The sandwiches at the Warren store are great. Then stop about a mile up the road at Sugarbush Soaring and go for a sailplane ride.

Old 12-07-2009, 08:05 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,714,745 times
Quote:
Hello,

My boyfriend and I were looking into possibly visiting Burlington in summer 2010. We are twenty somethings and we are just looking to have a nice relaxing romantic vacation. I was wondering if anyone knew where the best places to stay were, what are some fun things to do, places to visit ect. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
My wife and I started our honeymoon in Burlington in Oct 2008. We stayed at a beautiful bed and breakfast called the Lang House.

Burlington Bed and Breakfast, Burlington Vermont Bed and Breakfast

It was a great location. You could walk to all the great eateries and shops along the lakeshore, and you can also access the wonderful bike trail that runs along the shore from there.

Old 12-11-2009, 10:33 PM

459 posts, read 1,038,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilybeans View Post
I can't tell you where to stay-too many great choices- but you will have a great time. So much to do, and such wonderful weather.
It rains every other day, so if you like rain and "thunder showers", yes, the weather is wonderful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT